Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How do you get that crispy sound off that b*? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441809)

monsterkicker79 10-01-2012 08:49 PM

How do you get that crispy sound off that b*?

That crisp smacking sound when you watch pros practicing flat serves. I did an overhead yesterday that sounded like that. Real head turner! Everyone in the courts looked to see where the sound came from hahaha.. Good feeling!

Cheetah 10-01-2012 08:53 PM

Clean hitting, leverage and weight transfer.

UCSF2012 10-01-2012 09:40 PM

What's with the fascination with this stupid sound? If it's that important to you, play a recording off your ipod really, really loudly.

spectastic 10-01-2012 10:30 PM

shots tend to sound like that when you shank the ball in an off center shot. I find that my off center shots produce more sound than my good shots.

slowfox 10-01-2012 11:20 PM

Don't grip the racquet too tight. The sound off your racquet will be different in that pro stroke way.

goran_ace 10-01-2012 11:23 PM

Clean contact

vil 10-01-2012 11:42 PM

hold your grip looser.

Timbo's hopeless slice 10-01-2012 11:54 PM

hit it really hard more or less in the middle, easy!

Limpinhitter 10-02-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterkicker79 (Post 6930655)
That crisp smacking sound when you watch pros practicing flat serves. I did an overhead yesterday that sounded like that. Real head turner! Everyone in the courts looked to see where the sound came from hahaha.. Good feeling!

FYI, the pros don't hit flat serves. More importantly, after getting all that attention, did you win the point?

monsterkicker79 10-02-2012 06:43 AM

I just assumed. Well it's that whacking sound when high level players practice serves. Not just the regular pop. And yes I did win the point. :D

AnotherTennisProdigy 10-02-2012 07:05 AM

The sound comes from:

1. Loose grip and swing.
2. Clean hit at the sweet spot.

sureshs 10-02-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherTennisProdigy (Post 6931182)
The sound comes from:

1. Loose grip and swing.

Theoretically, sound can come only from vibrations, so (1) cannot be true. (1) might lead to (2) where the sound will come from.

sureshs 10-02-2012 07:16 AM

Broadcasters attach a small wireless device to the players' frames which picks up when the ball impacts, and notifies that to a base station near the court, which then adds a pre-recorded thump to the broadcast sound track.

Avles 10-02-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6931210)
Theoretically, sound can come only from vibrations, so (1) cannot be true. (1) might lead to (2) where the sound will come from.

Presumably having a "loose grip and swing" is supposed to promote acceleration and avoid "muscling" the ball, thus leading to increased racquet head speed, and bigger sound.

SystemicAnomaly 10-02-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherTennisProdigy (Post 6931182)
The sound comes from:

1. Loose grip and swing.

Flat serves and overheads are typically hit somewhat North of the sweet spot for maximum velocity. The local speed is significantly greater near the tip than at the sweet spot. The stringbed is still fairly responsive about midway between the sweet spot and the tip of the racket -- that is why flat serves/overheads are often hit there.

Cheetah 10-02-2012 02:31 PM

The sound you are referring to is a combination of several sounds together. The racquet moving through the air, the strings contacting the ball, the strings brushing the ball and the ball expanding after being compressed with the latter contributing most to the pop.

The flatter you hit the more the ball will compress/decompress and the less of the higher pitched ffffft sound will be heard from applied spin but a good hit with some ts can also get that sound.

To accomplish this you need the right combination of rhs, force from weight and leverage on the ball and a favorable angle of impact. In other words a well struck ball. This happens when you have a loose grip for rhs, proper weight going into the ball and good contact w/o too much spin.

If you have to ask how to get this sound that means you are not proficient in the above skills at this time.

Tebow 10-03-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterkicker79 (Post 6930655)

Wanna hear the loud pop sound? Stiff frame (65+) and strings above 60 pounds. You'd be amazed with the sound. It's like a gun going off. Nonetheless, be careful with your arm.

LanEvo 10-05-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tebow (Post 6934372)
Wanna hear the loud pop sound? Stiff frame (65+) and strings above 60 pounds. You'd be amazed with the sound. It's like a gun going off. Nonetheless, be careful with your arm.

That's what it was like the other night, me and my PDR with Black Code, pop pop all night.

sureshs 10-06-2012 09:32 AM

Another way is to construct buildings around your court. The echoes produce a great sound.

Jakesteroni 10-06-2012 10:57 AM

I fart everytime I hit the ball. Takes a little practice, but once you get it down. The sound is amazing!

All kidding aside. Hitting the sweetspot with enough racket speed should do it.