Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Your childhood re-occurring dream? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441825)

Elwood 10-02-2012 05:36 AM

Your childhood re-occurring dream?

The only re-occurring dream I had as a child was of a bowl of Cream of Wheat on my pillow. I would turn over and start to eat it and wake up to an empty pillow. It was always so dissapointing.

Luckily for me, my mother made either Cream of Wheat or grits almost every morning. I'm 45 and my parents still make grits every day.

Man I miss Southern cooking before people realized it was unhealthy.
I think i will make some Cream of Wheat for breakfast today.

Sentinel 10-02-2012 05:56 AM

I go through phases of many years with one kind of recurring dream. For a long time it was flying. Still comes now and then but not regularly. I can just lift up and start soaring, or rise above anything dangerous or threatening.

Another more recent one (last couple years) is being stranded on some high small spot with no way of getting down. There's not even enough space to sit comfortably. So I have to just jump and then the dream breaks.

ollinger 10-02-2012 06:25 AM

Interesting thing about recurring (and especially disturbing) dreams: you can change them. Published study in a pretty good journal described the method. As dreams are known to involve among other things the events of roughly the preceding two days of your life, patients were asked to write down their dream everyday for a period of weeks BUT to re-write the ending to make it more pleasant for them. The act of re-writing it became a part of "the events of roughly the preceding two days" of their lives and in a fairly high percentage of the subjects the new ending was incorporated into the dream.

sureshs 10-02-2012 07:32 AM

r2473: please do NOT post your dreams here. The thread will get deleted.

sureshs 10-02-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6931056)
I go through phases of many years with one kind of recurring dream. For a long time it was flying. Still comes now and then but not regularly. I can just lift up and start soaring, or rise above anything dangerous or threatening.

Another more recent one (last couple years) is being stranded on some high small spot with no way of getting down. There's not even enough space to sit comfortably. So I have to just jump and then the dream breaks.

Interesting. I have dreams about being confined to a small space and unable to breathe. I attribute that to one bad experience in a school bus when I was a kid - it was so packed and so hot that I could almost not breathe. You can understand what I am saying I guess. Nowadays school buses have become posh vehicles.

Hood_Man 10-02-2012 08:21 AM

I used to dream that I was sitting in my history classroom in school, and in this dream I would be sitting there before the lesson started and before the teacher turns up, and suddenly I'd realise I hadn't done my homework.

This dream would strike terror into my heart, sitting there waiting for the inevitable row that was coming my way (but I'd always wake up before that happened).

It's no coincidence that my history teacher's surname was an anagram of Dragon :shock:

What's funny is I only stopped having that dream about a year or two ago, and I left school 6 years ago!

I used to dream that I was getting chased by a giant dog in a revolving door as well, with the dog being in the compartment behind me, with no exit. That had nothing on the dream above though.

sureshs 10-02-2012 08:31 AM

ollinger, tell me something. When I first started taking BP medication (atenelol and lisinopril, you know beta blocker, ACE inhibitor) years ago, a retired doctor relative of mine (who also takes BP meds) told me that it might cause weird and vivid dreams. I did not take him seriously, but it turned out to be true. My wife also tells me that I babble all kinds of stuff in my sleep.

Could the meds be really causing this?

r2473 10-02-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6931251)
r2473: please do NOT post your dreams here. The thread will get deleted.

Sureshs, you know there is only one man I dream about.

ollinger 10-02-2012 01:05 PM

sureshs
Absolutely can be a side effect of a number of meds. SSRI antidepressants cause disturbing and very vivid/lifelike dreams very often, and sometimes the med needs to be stopped. Likewise some antihypertensives. Curiously, another antihypertensive, prazosin, is now being used to prevent disturbing dreams in many such cases. I've seen a few patients who say it's very helpful.

Avles 10-02-2012 01:39 PM

I used to dream I was drowning all the time when I was little. That pretty much never happens now.

SoBad 10-02-2012 03:11 PM

In my friend's experience, natural depressants and sedatives are key to ongoing dream renewal.

mikeler 10-02-2012 03:22 PM

I have the dream where I have to go back to school because I missed one 3 credit class. Damn adviser screwed up!

SoBad 10-02-2012 03:24 PM

Last night I dreamed of flowers in a vase in the middle of the table. They exploded in a huge ball of fire.

atatu 10-02-2012 07:41 PM

When I was in law school and even for a few years afterwards I had that dream where I forgot to drop a class and never went, then I had to take the final exam.

Sentinel 10-02-2012 08:08 PM

Since childhood I've had this recurring dream that I reach the court without my tennis racket / balls / shoes. Then I return to get them, and I get lost or can't find the court, or get on the wrong bus, etc.

Or I am changing buses and leave my gear on the previous one. Now this has never happened in real life, and I haven't ridden a bus in 20 or more years.

One repeat dream that is actually enjoyable is that I am playing fantastic tennis, beating everyone but sadly it doesn't last long.

sureshs 10-02-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6931822)
sureshs
Absolutely can be a side effect of a number of meds. SSRI antidepressants cause disturbing and very vivid/lifelike dreams very often, and sometimes the med needs to be stopped. Likewise some antihypertensives. Curiously, another antihypertensive, prazosin, is now being used to prevent disturbing dreams in many such cases. I've seen a few patients who say it's very helpful.

Good to know I am not crazy.

At least in this matter.

sureshs 10-03-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6932461)
One repeat dream that is actually enjoyable is that I am playing fantastic tennis, beating everyone but sadly it doesn't last long.

What you dream of is what is reality for me.

Hood_Man 10-03-2012 06:26 AM

The worst dream you can have is the one that makes you think you're going to the bathroom...

You wake up bloody quickly from that one!

sureshs 10-03-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6933017)
The worst dream you can have is the one that makes you think you're going to the bathroom...

You wake up bloody quickly from that one!

Yes, I have experienced that a few times when I have drunk a lot of water just before going to bed. You almost "go" in your dream but luckily something prevents you. Then you wake up and need to rush.

Interesting thing is how the brain conjures up a dream in which the need to go arises as part of the story.

mikeler 10-03-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 6932421)
When I was in law school and even for a few years afterwards I had that dream where I forgot to drop a class and never went, then I had to take the final exam.

Oh yeah, the old "I can't believe I forgot about this class" dream is always a bad one.