Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Me level (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441862)

rafazx10 10-02-2012 12:14 PM

Me level

Well, I stopped playing a few years ago, and just before summer i started hitting with my friend, I manage to hurt my wrist and didnt play all summer.

A few weeks ago i was good again and we have been playing basically everyday.

I never went after rating myself, but seems like a lot of people do that, and it is a good way to find same level players for you to play against.

I have nothing but a two min video of us warming up, so id like o make a video so you guys could see and help me out with this rating deal.

I figure I should have the camera positioned behind me and have some warming up, and some match playing correct?

What else, and in average how long of a video should i make?

LuckyR 10-02-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafazx10 (Post 6931718)
Well, I stopped playing a few years ago, and just before summer i started hitting with my friend, I manage to hurt my wrist and didnt play all summer.

A few weeks ago i was good again and we have been playing basically everyday.

I never went after rating myself, but seems like a lot of people do that, and it is a good way to find same level players for you to play against.

I have nothing but a two min video of us warming up, so id like o make a video so you guys could see and help me out with this rating deal.

I figure I should have the camera positioned behind me and have some warming up, and some match playing correct?

What else, and in average how long of a video should i make?

Good news for you!! The kind of video you need to make will automatically tell you your level, even if you don't turn the camera on!!

That is, the only video that would matter would be you playing a match you cared about. But if you were to play such a match, the result of it would tell you your level without anyone having to witness the match itself.

Go play a 3.5

rafazx10 10-02-2012 12:57 PM

I dont know how to rate muself? I find this somewhat nonsense.
I honestly dont care what level I am, just want to know so I can find other people at the same level to play with.

I guess the best option is a video of me playing a set?
There is only one other person I play with which is somewhat at my level.

Avles 10-02-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 6931794)
That is, the only video that would matter would be you playing a match you cared about. But if you were to play such a match, the result of it would tell you your level without anyone having to witness the match itself.

Go play a 3.5

Sounds good, but it's not like there are computer-rated players just hanging out on every street corner wanting to play meaningless (but serious and competitive) matches so that other players can effectively gauge their level. If that were the case there'd be no need for self-rating guidelines.

OP, I think your best bet is to post unedited match footage, from behind, both players trying their hardest. But you'll probably find that people here disagree on your rating anyway.

rafazx10 10-02-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avles (Post 6931838)
Sounds good, but it's not like there are computer-rated players just hanging out on every street corner wanting to play meaningless (but serious and competitive) matches so that other players can effectively gauge their level. If that were the case there'd be no need for self-rating guidelines.

OP, I think your best bet is to post unedited match footage, from behind, both players trying their hardest. But you'll probably find that people here disagree on your rating anyway.

That is what i was thinking.
I will try next time I go hit with him.

LuckyR 10-03-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avles (Post 6931838)

Sounds like you (and the OP) need to move to a different part of town. But seriously, think about it: no video of rallying, practicing, hittin' aroun' is going to matter. If the OP really does post a match where he loses to a 3.5: 2-6, 3-6, guess what? I don't care about his footage, he is likely a 3.5

TennisCJC 10-03-2012 09:13 AM

Ratings vary about from league to league - most internet non-usta leagues are a little soft - for example a 4.0 internet league rating is more like a 3.5-3.75 USTA rating. Also, USTA ratings vary a bit by area. The metro Atlanta area 4.0 level is a little stronger than some of the rural areas like Macon.

Also, it is difficult to review by video as everything looks slower.

The best way to get your rating is to play a few guys in your area and see how you stack up against them. You can also get their input on where you should play.

But, if you post a video, you'll get plenty of feedback and that may work for you too.

rafazx10 10-20-2012 12:36 PM

Well, thanks for all the input guys. I keep forgetting to bring a camera to when we play, so I used my phone to make a little video of us hitting around.
I KNOW it is not near enough to judge, but at least you can have some idea.

I will try to join a league or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYN6i...ature=youtu.be

EDIT: Should be in HD soon.

And I know my main problem is the way i move, im very slow, and overweight.

LeeD 10-20-2012 01:41 PM

Black shirt guy, it's obvious you can hit with 4 and even 4.5's.
But your bad recognition of the incoming ball, your trouble with deep balls and shots into your body, and shots that need 2 full steps to reach, means you don't play at those levels, but you can certainly hit at those levels.
For sure, you can just plain outhit any 3.0.
At 3.5, you start to run into bad form, but long time players, some with 20 years of sustained competitive play, and they will exploit your movement problems and recognition problems. You are at the higher part of the 3.5 group, but not at the top, yet.

rafazx10 10-20-2012 03:26 PM

Thanks for the imput Lee.
I don't think the main problem is the recognition of where the ball is going, but more me actually moving.
This has always been the low point of my game, i rather stretch and hit a crappy ahot instead of actually moving and hitting a good one. But it was a goos observation.
I will try to work on it a little more.

Sumo 10-20-2012 06:59 PM

It's tough not knowing where the ball is going or how it's coming in, but I'd put you as a 4.0.

TheCheese 10-20-2012 07:11 PM

Impossible to tell from the footage, but you obviously know how to play. You could be anywhere from 4.0 upwards depending on how good your footwork is when you actually play and how deep and penetrating your shots are.

I'd say start at 4.0.

watungga 10-20-2012 08:22 PM

If you just started playing for the day in this video, you are definitely 4.5 if all cylinders in the right temperature. A 4.0 player don't usually hit with loads of power in its initial rally. That is with assumption that you can still hit with that energy even after 2 set play on court!!!! Longevity in powerstrokes requires softer grip, which I think you are using into your strokes.

This is my kind of analysis when scouting.

rafazx10 10-20-2012 10:46 PM

Thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it.
Where would be the best place to position the camera? On the fence right behind me?

And Sumo, what level are you? I am pretty close to Chicago, maybe we could play one of these days so we can see how i stack up.

zapvor 10-21-2012 04:38 AM

i think you hit pretty well. taking it early most of the time, good racket head speed.

Sumo 10-21-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafazx10 (Post 6966735)
Thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it.
Where would be the best place to position the camera? On the fence right behind me?

And Sumo, what level are you? I am pretty close to Chicago, maybe we could play one of these days so we can see how i stack up.

I'm a 4.0, but am now in NC. Keep forgetting to change that.

rafazx10 10-21-2012 07:34 AM

Oh bummer..... well thank you guys....

I will try to make some more videos, or find a player at 3.5 or 4 that i can play a match against.

TheCheese 10-21-2012 11:42 AM

Yeah, put it behind you and a little higher up if possible. Play out some points.

LeeD 10-21-2012 11:46 AM

Behind you, try to catch most of the baseline, slightly higher than your head.

rafazx10 10-21-2012 02:27 PM

I will try that next time guys.

Thanks