Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal: nobody has had to retire with what I have (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441868)

Crisstti 10-02-2012 01:05 PM

Nadal: nobody has had to retire with what I have

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...le-injury.html

Silly headline, but interesting otherwise.

Not sure it was posted already.

ĎAll that is in my mind is to keep working hard to come back,í he says. ĎI cannot think about the future because itís not like if you break your arm and you know you will have a few weeks like this, then a few weeks like that and then you are back. This is a day-by-day thing, I have checks every week to see how Iím improving. I canít predict what will happen.í

ĎI hope you see me in Australia,í says Nadal, who is in the Spanish capital to promote his involvement with PokerStars. ĎThat is the biggest goal for me, to come back just before then in Qatar, but I cannot say for sure it is going to happen.

ĎThe only thing is to recover well. I want to be 100 per cent when I come back. I donít want to keep playing every day with doubts, not knowing if my knee is going to answer all the questions.í

ĎWas it a mistake to play at Wimbledon? Maybe, but when you are playing well it is hard to stop. At Roland Garros I had to play with anti-inflammatories to get through. After that I felt really bad. My practice before Wimbledon was terrible. I played the first round with injections, otherwise it would have been impossible. That doesnít help the knee.
ĎIíve played a lot in pain before as other people have done. The problem is when you run and you are thinking about where you are planting your leg. It is impossible to compete like that.

ĎFor me the Olympics was very tough. I was very, very sad for three weeks around then. I had the chance to carry the Spanish flag. It only comes every four years. Missing the US Open was hard but you think you will have more chances.

ĎThe Olympics is once every four years and you donít know how many more you will get. I will work very hard to be in Rio but it is in four years. I am 26-and-a-half, I love competition, playing tennis, and this was actually a season I enjoyed playing more than others. I have the motivation to come back and thatís what Iím going to try.í

ĎYou know Iíve said many times in press conferences that Andy would win a Grand Slam and now he has won. He deserves it more than anyone. I am very happy for him. The normal thing is that it will help him. When you are winning tournaments like this your confidence is higher, it is easier to repeat what youíve done before. Itís good for tennis that he has come to the level that was expected.í

ĎI canít pretend not to play on hard courts when two of the Slams are on hard courts, but there is a mistake with our game. You donít watch footballers playing on a hard surface, or basketball players, those sports with rapid movements.
ĎItís not going to change for me and my generation. Hard courts are very negative for the body. I know the sport is a business and creating these courts is easier than clay or grass, but I am 100 per cent sure it is wrong. I may have to play more on clay than before but there arenít that many options.í

Clarky21 10-02-2012 01:13 PM

How does he know that for sure? Isn't it possible that the injury he has led to something worse that could cause an athlete to retire?

And yet again he's complaining about hardcourts while continuing to play needless exo$ on them. His credibility is shot about this subject,and quite frankly,I am sick of his constant harping about it.

Also,Basketball players DO play on a hard surface so I am not sure what version of basketball he has been watching at his compound in Mallorca.

Rozroz 10-02-2012 01:23 PM

maybe i'm naive but i choose to believe what he says.
it's either that or he's a total fraud.
i prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Alexandros 10-02-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

That is the biggest goal for me, to come back just before then in Qatar... Hard courts are very negative for the body. I know the sport is a business and creating these courts is easier than clay or grass, but I am 100 per cent sure it is wrong.
So he complains about hard courts, attributes his injuries to them and yet his first competitive match back he decides to play... on a hard court?

cknobman 10-02-2012 02:26 PM

Reporter: "When are you coming back Rafa?"

Nadal: "Hard courts are very negative for the body. I know the sport is a business and creating these courts is easier than clay or grass, but I am 100 per cent sure it is wrong. I may have to play more on clay than before but there aren’t that many options."

Reporter: "Yes we get that, but when will you play next?"

Nadal: "Mubadala World Tennis Championships in December."

Reporter: "That surface is a hard court, no?"

Nadal: "Vamos!!"

Mike Sams 10-02-2012 02:33 PM

I think if Nadal really was caught for doping, he should be banned from the ATP for 2 years and stripped of all of his titles. The same should apply for every other player.

BauerAlmeida 10-02-2012 02:40 PM

Was there are other major case besides Korda getting caught consuming PED?

The Bawss 10-02-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida (Post 6931970)
Was there are other major case besides Korda getting caught consuming PED?

Rafael Nadal Parera's silent ban: July 2012 - ?

RF20Lennon 10-02-2012 03:03 PM

LOL exactly what I was thinking!! what form of basketball was he watching???

Crisstti 10-02-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandros (Post 6931946)
So he complains about hard courts, attributes his injuries to them and yet his first competitive match back he decides to play... on a hard court?

Lol, what would you have him do?. Wait until the clay court season to come back?

You wish.

RAFA2005RG 10-02-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 6932300)
Because many people think he's a cheater and is doping. I'll reserve judgement but the talk of a silent ban is out there. I think he's been serving a ban and is using the knee excuse.

Only people like you. The losers of the world. Give me a credible name. Yannick Noah? LOL. Anyone who bases what they say on facts, obviously would never say it.

BTW, why is it that Rafa can't match Djokovic in a 5-setter? And why is it that Rafa can't match 31-year-old Federer in year-long durability? Rafa falls short in both aspects of physical strength.

TMF 10-02-2012 07:08 PM

I don't hear any player who SUCKS on clay is complaining about the surface, and say having clay courts is wrong.

tlm 10-02-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF20Lennon (Post 6931995)
LOL exactly what I was thinking!! what form of basketball was he watching???

No the question is what basketball have you been watching? Are you so dumb that you think they play basketball on concrete? The wood floors have plenty of give to them and have no resemblance whatsoever to a hard tennis court.GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tlm 10-02-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Readers (Post 6932227)
How many of you ******s actually been on a good basketball court?

Wood is way softer and has way more flexibility to protect the player than concrete or asphalt with a thin layer of cover, how stupid you have to be to not know it?

I agree only on this site can you read some of this crap and say to yourself are these guys serious, all you can say is wow.

RF20Lennon 10-02-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 6932387)
No the question is what basketball have you been watching? Are you so dumb that you think they play basketball on concrete? The wood floors have plenty of give to them and have no resemblance whatsoever to a hard tennis court.GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL someone's mad!!! And wood is still hard by the way and some basketball courts are concrete!

RAFA2005RG 10-02-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF20Lennon (Post 6932473)
LOL someone's mad!!! And wood is still hard by the way and some basketball courts are concrete!

Basketball is an indoor sport at the professional level. Even at the junior level it is indoor. The only people who play on concrete are people who are just playing with their friends at school or something.

No professional player attends training on a concrete court. And no professional team plays on a concrete court. And wood is nothing like concrete. Wood is a forgiving surface that doesn't tire you out compared to concrete. When I play basketball on wood it feels closer to playing tennis on clay or grass than hardcourt.

RF20Lennon 10-02-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 6932480)
Basketball is an indoor sport at the professional level. Even at the junior level it is indoor. The only people who play on concrete are people who are just playing with their friends at school or something.

No professional player attends training on a concrete court. And no professional team plays on a concrete court. And wood is nothing like concrete. Wood is a forgiving surface that doesn't tire you out compared to concrete. When I play basketball on wood it feels closer to playing tennis on clay or grass than hardcourt.

I will try to arrange with the Director of the Aussie to change it to wood!! Would Rafa prefer polished or rough???

Murrayfan31 10-02-2012 09:05 PM

I cringe with every Nadal interview. Especially when he mentions hard courts as being negative.
The fool got injured at the end of the clay season both times.

smoledman 10-02-2012 09:05 PM

If the "concrete" hardcourts are so ridiculous how come Roger hasn't been crippled by them?

RAFA2005RG 10-02-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 6932541)
Nadal is such a moron. He complains endlessly about hard courts but does nothing to adjust his style of play to it.

If Rafa changed his game he would damage his chances at Roland Garros. And nothing is more important than Roland Garros. And he can't just change his game for 2 months per year, it would be all or nothing.