Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Callus on Hand from Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441903)

bhallic24 10-02-2012 07:40 PM

Callus on Hand from Tennis

So i've been playing more tennis lately and developed over the last 2 months this callus on my dominant hand about 1 inch below the ring finger. It's from the buttcap of the racket rubbing on that area everytime I hit a forehand. I've tried buffering it up with more overgrip so that it's a softer surface but it hasn't helped.

Anyone else have tennis related calluses and have any tips in terms of therapy other than not playing/holding a racket?

OHBH 10-02-2012 10:36 PM

Sounds like the callous is in the palm of your hand, but that is the one place you really shouldn't have a callous. It might be your grip but more likely I think your handle might be too small? Causing the racket to move around too much and in the wrong place.

TennisA 10-03-2012 12:51 AM

I have two callus's on my right hand below the end of my pinky and ring fingers from the grip sliding around my hand so much. They don't really bother me anymore, so I can't really offer much advice about how to deal with it.

All I can suggest is finding an overgrip that is really soft, such as Yonex's (imo), and use that over your main grip, and also, do not be reckless with your strokes/serve/volleys when you try and hit the ball. Overhitting, for me anyway, has a large chance of agitating the callus's.

TheCheese 10-03-2012 12:21 PM

That's a really weird place to have a callus, sounds like your grip size is wrong or you're holding the grip incorrectly.

You should have calluses at the base of your 4th and 3rd fingers, an inch below your thumb (in your palm), and on the sides of your index finger and thumb.

LeeD 10-03-2012 01:18 PM

Make the buttcap smaller, or choke up on the racket to avoid the buttcap.

bhallic24 10-03-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCheese (Post 6933726)
That's a really weird place to have a callus, sounds like your grip size is wrong or you're holding the grip incorrectly.

You should have calluses at the base of your 4th and 3rd fingers, an inch below your thumb (in your palm), and on the sides of your index finger and thumb.

thanks for the input guys. This reply was interesting. So after reading ya'lls responses, my grip is not too small. I can fit an index finger in between my hitting hand grip.

But maybe I'll holding it too low? I hold the racket on my groundstrokes pretty loose. And the buttcap is situated right over the callus which is in the palm between 4th and 5th finger. So essentially half my pinky hangs down below the handle.

Just curious why should you get calluses below the 3rd and 4th finger? I look at my hand and those two spots are almost baby skin.

LeeD 10-03-2012 03:19 PM

Play tennis for 2 years holding the racket like that, and a skin buildup will occur, and you won't complain.
However, I hope you don't play a net game, volleying constantly, and relying on reflex quickness to win points.
In the meantime, if you want to cure this problem, one cure would be for you to use a heavier racket.:shock::shock:

bhallic24 10-03-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6934152)
Play tennis for 2 years holding the racket like that, and a skin buildup will occur, and you won't complain.
However, I hope you don't play a net game, volleying constantly, and relying on reflex quickness to win points.
In the meantime, if you want to cure this problem, one cure would be for you to use a heavier racket.:shock::shock:

thanks bud. great advise. but actually i'm trying to develop a net game because my serves are getting better and i'm aiming it better so i figured a s + v approach would be a good compliment. Plus i don't like baseline grinding.

I think part of the main problem is that the racket is vibrating too much and then being abrasive to that area of skin. Holding my racket too loose probably doesn't help because when I hit a hard shot it put a lot of stress on that area.

LeeD 10-03-2012 03:34 PM

One tip.
Abandon the idea of holding below the butt of the racket when you come to net.

Will Wilson 10-03-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhallic24 (Post 6932420)
So i've been playing more tennis lately and developed over the last 2 months this callus on my dominant hand about 1 inch below the ring finger. It's from the buttcap of the racket rubbing on that area everytime I hit a forehand. I've tried buffering it up with more overgrip so that it's a softer surface but it hasn't helped.

Anyone else have tennis related calluses and have any tips in terms of therapy other than not playing/holding a racket?

Are you sure this is from tennis?

bhallic24 10-03-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Wilson (Post 6934337)
Are you sure this is from tennis?

yup. its mainly from my forehands.

floridatennisdude 10-04-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhallic24 (Post 6932420)

I have a callus on my palm. I use a pummus stone in the shower to smooth it out every day. Just lightly rub the stone on the callus for 20 seconds or so when your hands are soft from the water. It will remove dead,flaky skin.

Never cut off a callus with a blade, could get infected.