Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   how to grow the habit of more adjustment steps? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441905)

tonygao 10-02-2012 08:31 PM

how to grow the habit of more adjustment steps?

in my vid you can clearly see the lack of adjustment steps, this is really frustrating.

I have been practicing with agility ladder, jumping rope etc, but when I start playing matching, I just can't find myself doing adjustment steps.

is there any particular drills or just have someone to feed me balls and constantly remind me to make small steps before hitting?

5263 10-02-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonygao (Post 6932494)
in my vid you can clearly see the lack of adjustment steps, this is really frustrating.

I have been practicing with agility ladder, jumping rope etc, but when I start playing matching, I just can't find myself doing adjustment steps.

is there any particular drills or just have someone to feed me balls and constantly remind me to make small steps before hitting?

I hope you get some good answers, but for me, it's about being focused on
working on position for a great contact point.
Not just getting close enough to strike the ball, but to work for position
to have that ball right where you like it or as close as you can.
I never think about the feet, but they do what I need to get there
on balance.

tonygao 10-02-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 6932505)
I hope you get some good answers, but for me, it's about being focused on
working on position for a great contact point.
Not just getting close enough to strike the ball, but to work for position
to have that ball right where you like it or as close as you can.
I never think about the feet, but they do what I need to get there
on balance.

that makes sense. so I just do normal drills with focus on positioning and point of contact instead of my feet, right?

5263 10-02-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonygao (Post 6932514)
that makes sense. so I just do normal drills with focus on positioning and point of contact instead of my feet, right?

thats how I do it and also how I teach it with good results.

boramiNYC 10-02-2012 09:04 PM

do some shuffle with the feet angled as in V. side to side, circle, and figure 8 etc. and whatever shape you want. you simply need some correct muscles strengthened before you feel light on your feet. powerful jumping up and down some repition on the ball of your feet will strengthen your feet muscle as well.

slowfox 10-02-2012 11:11 PM

I forget the name, but isn't there this funky-shaped rubber ball that bounces unpredictably which athletes use to train their reaction skills? I've seen vids of it, and you definitely gotta work on footwork as you adjust to the crazy bounces. Maybe that's a good drill...

Cheetah 10-02-2012 11:12 PM

Jump rope for 10 minutes a day

dominikk1985 10-02-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 6932687)
Jump rope for 10 minutes a day

very good advice. Losing some weight can also help because excess weight makes it harder to stay off your heels.

filphil 10-03-2012 12:47 AM

Incorporate the adjustment steps to, not only your regular training regimen but also, your practice hits. You have to ingrain the thought of prepping and striking the ball to more feet movement. It takes a conscious effort since you say it's not part of your norm. Give it some time. :)

gregor.b 10-03-2012 01:02 AM

1: Split step at opponents point of contact
2: Get into position early then the small steps should take you forward to contact point.
3: Really focus hard and be intense early with the footwork. It will give you more time.
Works for me.

2ndServe 10-03-2012 05:01 AM

I read a past article that in Russia (possibly a place that used to be part Russia) they put something hard in under the heel of the sole. That way the kids were forced to constantly stay on their toes.

sureshs 10-03-2012 06:42 AM

I am told that pros train specifically for the first step towards the ball to be big and explosive.

And no, just having the intent to be positioned properly wrt the ball is not enough. There are efficient and inefficient ways. Go to any place where high-level players are actually being produced - and see how many specific footwork drills they do.

tonygao 10-03-2012 06:46 AM

I am a bit confused, being flat footed and no adjustment steps, they are the same thing or not?

xFullCourtTenniSx 10-03-2012 11:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jwh0GfA_eo

Elastic bands between your legs. They work wonders, but don't start off at 100%. Get used to it first because you can easily trip over your feet if you try to start sprinting with full strides right from the beginning. It basically limits your strides to smaller ones so you need to run using much smaller steps.

5263 10-03-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6933052)
And no, just having the intent to be positioned properly wrt the ball is not enough. There are efficient and inefficient ways.

Notice the way this to post above is so poorly stated and contrast to mine
below-

"I hope you get some good answers, but for me, it's about being focused on
working on position for a great contact point."- 5263

See how I share with you with what works for me and my students from experience
and say it may be helpful for you, understanding that your experience may vary.
But see how even though he has no teaching experience, he wants to say
something "proven to work, isn't enough" and proceed to tell you what you
what does work. He attempts to judge something he has no experience with
and replace it with another he has little to no experience with. Interesting
mindset and hopefully that alone gives you some insight into the usefulness of
his advice.

sureshs 10-03-2012 06:56 PM

^^^ I was talking about high-level players like pros based on what I read and see on Tennis Channel. They do specific footwork drills. Once they showed Sharapova doing the plyometric thing or whatever it is called - when stretched out wide, land in such a way that the recovery movement starts immediately, as if you have bounced off a wall. I don't think she won a Career Slam by just thinking where she wants to be.

5263 10-03-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6934432)
I don't think she won a Career Slam by just thinking where she wants to be.

Maybe, but that is pure speculation and your opinion and is quite different than
what was suggested. Maybe the mis-info on your part is why you can't see it.
I didn't suggest to "merely think about where to be" as you say, but "it's about
being focused on working on position for a great contact point". If you can't
realize the difference in those statements, it can explain why you don't see
how it can work.

5263 10-03-2012 07:26 PM

and by the way...look what he has already been doing-

"I have been practicing with agility ladder, jumping rope etc, but when I start playing matching, I just can't find myself doing adjustment steps."

So it's not always what you think is the stock answer, but what is he missing,
and is that a mental approach or just needing more drills?

connico 10-03-2012 08:48 PM

The need for Adjustment steps means your not travelling efficiently. Increasing efficiently by drills (to better understand how your own body moves) and fitness (to better enable your body to move)

If you do drills to move forward and backwards, side to side, changing direction etc. your body will become more efficient at moving and as 5263 has said you will improve your positioning to strike that little round yellow ball...

KenC 10-03-2012 10:02 PM

I once saw an instructor feeding balls to a player who had to catch the ball in hand and had his elbow pinned to his side. The only way this was possible was great footwork with precise adjustment steps.