Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   APDGT vs 4D 200 Tour (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441961)

GenesisTurbo 10-03-2012 12:52 PM

APDGT vs 4D 200 Tour

I'm looking to make the switch from APDGT to the 4D 200 Tour.
can anyone compare the two rackets.

my style of play-

First Serve: Flat first serve, favorite is down the middle. can go out wide as well.

Second Serve: usually a kick serve, sometimes spin it out wide or spin it down the middle to keep my opponent on his toes.

Forehand: SW grip. My best shot. Can flatten it out if needed or extra spin if needed. most of the time it's a mix between flat and spin (if that makes sense).

Backhand: OHBH. topspin good depth. Can also flatten it out for a winner.

Volley: Never really volley much, but if i need to I'm okay with them. Mostly a aggressive base-liner.

Style: Sometimes S&V, throw in a few drop-shots to mix things up. Most of the time an aggressive base-liner dictating play and putting away points.

Thanks

amx13 10-03-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenesisTurbo (Post 6933834)
I'm looking to make the switch from APDGT to the 4D 200 Tour.
can anyone compare the two rackets.

my style of play-

First Serve: Flat first serve, favorite is down the middle. can go out wide as well.

Second Serve: usually a kick serve, sometimes spin it out wide or spin it down the middle to keep my opponent on his toes.

Forehand: SW grip. My best shot. Can flatten it out if needed or extra spin if needed. most of the time it's a mix between flat and spin (if that makes sense).

Backhand: OHBH. topspin good depth. Can also flatten it out for a winner.

Volley: Never really volley much, but if i need to I'm okay with them. Mostly a aggressive base-liner.

Style: Sometimes S&V, throw in a few drop-shots to mix things up. Most of the time an aggressive base-liner dictating play and putting away points.

Thanks

Wonder what is that you are looking for in making the switch, more control?, arm issues?
You are going from one extreme to another IMO, from a tweener, close to even balance, stiff and free-power frame, to a flexy, low power, head-light player's frame, it might suit your aggressive baseline style, but I would say it would too much of a leap .
Maybe you can try some intermediate-kind-of-frame (something in the pure storm, or head speed line)

GenesisTurbo 10-03-2012 01:36 PM

I'm looking for more control as i most of the time don't have enough spin on the ball to keep it in it usually floats long.

Top Jimmy 10-03-2012 01:50 PM

Made the exact same change a year ago.

I hope you have good technique and some strength.

I couldn't flatten out my ball with the APDGT, plenty of spin and placement but 10+ shot rallies is not my game, I try and end them in 4-5 shots.

Completely different feel, you'll feel the racket bend, you can't cheat and wrist your shots.

It's basically a modern wood racket.

GenesisTurbo 10-03-2012 01:56 PM

Top Jimmy- Thanks for your input i was looking for someone who made the same switch.
I'm a big boy so i will be able to handle the stick, my technique it's okay.
I'm the opposite of you, with the APDGT i penetrated the ball and flatten out almost all my shots.

out of the two sticks
what are the diff?
what are the similarities?

Thank You

Top Jimmy 10-03-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenesisTurbo (Post 6933987)
Top Jimmy- Thanks for your input i was looking for someone who made the same switch.
I'm a big boy so i will be able to handle the stick, my technique it's okay.
I'm the opposite of you, with the APDGT i penetrated the ball and flatten out almost all my shots.

out of the two sticks
what are the diff?
what are the similarities?

Thank You

I could actually volley much better with the APDGT, just stick the racket out, punch ball. I can't get the feel on the 200 due to the weight, a little slugish for me. Played a set with my PS85 to compare and was back to volleying like I can, the head heavy balance makes it tough (for me).

I love the feel of the flex and dead spot on the upper hoop of the 200, can just rip away, ball goes in. If I slow down my swing, it goes out.

Serves very well but I can't generate the head speed of similarly weighted rackets that are 8-10 pts HL.

I use RPM Blast at 56-58 lbs. Hated, hated, hated, hated hybrid setup in this thing, made it feel like mush to me, no power. Tried tour bite and that felt to crisp compared to RPM.

I'd buy more 200 tours but they are out of 1/4 grips, jerks.

GenesisTurbo 10-03-2012 02:18 PM

sounds like a good change to me.
have you used Luxilon on the 200T yet? if so any elbow issues?

Top Jimmy 10-04-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenesisTurbo (Post 6934031)
sounds like a good change to me.
have you used Luxilon on the 200T yet? if so any elbow issues?

I tried Lux, didn't like it compared to RPM. My elbow is made of steel, never had tennis elbow in my life so i can't really say.