Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dunlop 4D 200 Tour vs Dunlop 4D 100, worth a test drive? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441970)

Top Jimmy 10-03-2012 01:53 PM

Dunlop 4D 200 Tour vs Dunlop 4D 100, worth a test drive?

Current 200 Tour user, interested and trying the 100. Looks like a modern PS85 to me.

The weight and HL balance has me very intrigued, less demanding then the 200 Tour.

For 89 bucks can't go wrong can I?

bad_call 10-03-2012 06:07 PM

^ the 4D100 works for me. might for u and can't knock the price.

shaneno 10-03-2012 06:50 PM

i think the 4d 200 tour and the 4D 100 is both amazing rackets. i had about 4 of the 4D 100. it light weight racket with added lead tape it amazing, plus i now using the Bio 200 tour which feel nice :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 6933984)
Current 200 Tour user, interested and trying the 100. Looks like a modern PS85 to me.

The weight and HL balance has me very intrigued, less demanding then the 200 Tour.

acura9927 10-03-2012 06:50 PM

I have the 200 Tour, I demoed the Bio 100 and is great for serves but at my level of tennis 3.0 its just too small for me. Might be worth a used buy on ****, they go by nothing on ****.

The Dampener 10-03-2012 06:55 PM

The 200T is less demanding, but it's also more rewarding.

What I mean by that is that the 100, while a terrific frame, can't provide the same level of spin, power and stability.

Honestly, the best thing to do is try them both and decide for yourself...which sounds like your plan. Good luck!

Lefty78 10-03-2012 06:57 PM

100 is a great racquet as a srarting point for customization, with a lot of lead at 3/9 it can be deadly, but stock it's a pushover

anirut 10-03-2012 07:26 PM

The 4D100's good stick. In stock form it's easy to play around and easily gets pushed around too. Stock, it may be good for doubles as it's pretty darn quick.

No comments on the 200.

TimothyO 10-04-2012 05:12 AM

Have used the 100. It's the most precise frame I've tried and very comfortable. Only downside is the lack of power and plow. If you're using the Tour you may find yourself leading up the 100 to the point where you're almost back to a Tour. Coming from the Tour you might enjoy the base 200 model more than the 100.

TimothyO 10-04-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dampener (Post 6934429)
The 200T is less demanding, but it's also more rewarding.

What I mean by that is that the 100, while a terrific frame, can't provide the same level of spin, power and stability.

Honestly, the best thing to do is try them both and decide for yourself...which sounds like your plan. Good luck!

Excellent comparison.

Top Jimmy 10-04-2012 09:28 AM

Ordered 2. Haha. Racket addiction.

Power Player 10-04-2012 09:45 AM

I have hit with BC's 100 and it is sweet. Great feel, just not really ideal for how I attack the ball with more of a closed face. IMO it is one of the best mids out there though.

goosala 10-04-2012 06:33 PM

I used an entire roll (18 inches) of the Babolat lead tape on my AG100. I put five inches on the 3 and 9 plus eight inches in the handle. It now is the weight it should be .

Top Jimmy 10-09-2012 06:44 AM

I just got my two 4D 100's yesteryday.

First off, it is a badass looking racket.

Second, i can tell already I like the weight and balance, very PS85'ish.

Third, lengthwise the head size is the same as my 4D 200, it's just a little more narrow, shouldn't be a problem.

Got a match tonight, not sure if I'll chance using it for USTA league but maybe, kind of excited. This might be the answer to a regular 4D 200 but with a more open string pattern.

TimothyO 10-09-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 6933984)

This past weekend I tried a radical experiment with one of my 200 Tours and liked the result so much applied it to both.

Last week I hit against a couple of guys who hit with high pace. The Tour certainly absorbs the punishment but a few times I felt late and got jammed.

So on Saturday I did something I've seen discussed on TT but hadn't tried. To reduce the SW of the Tour I trimmed the bumper guard of plastic beyond that which is under the string. I was shocked at how much weight it shaved: 4g static weight and about 12g SW according to the TWU customization calculator.

To put that in perspective, 4g of static weight is equal to a whopping 16" of 1/4" lead tape. Add that to any racquet and you're looking at a significant change in SW, power, and plow.

The new mod, "4D 200 Tour Lite", is still extremely stable but is also more maneuverable. I hit last night with it and it's like the love child of the 4D 200 and 4D 200 Tour that I and other TT members discussed in another thread: good plow, excellent stability, 95" head for good control, open pattern for easier spin. The lower power and lower SW also means more RHS for more spin. And the plow remains good enough that even on a 1HBH at full stretch, on the run, I still get the ball back over the net.

bad_call 10-09-2012 07:13 AM

Top J - suggest you check out the AG 100 thread and how a few happy owners lead cause stock it is very low powered.

kaiser 10-09-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6943996)
This past weekend I tried a radical experiment with one of my 200 Tours and liked the result so much applied it to both.

Last week I hit against a couple of guys who hit with high pace. The Tour certainly absorbs the punishment but a few times I felt late and got jammed.

So on Saturday I did something I've seen discussed on TT but hadn't tried. To reduce the SW of the Tour I trimmed the bumper guard of plastic beyond that which is under the string. I was shocked at how much weight it shaved: 4g static weight and about 12g SW according to the TWU customization calculator.

To put that in perspective, 4g of static weight is equal to a whopping 16" of 1/4" lead tape. Add that to any racquet and you're looking at a significant change in SW, power, and plow.

The new mod, "4D 200 Tour Lite", is still extremely stable but is also more maneuverable. I hit last night with it and it's like the love child of the 4D 200 and 4D 200 Tour that I and other TT members discussed in another thread: good plow, excellent stability, 95" head for good control, open pattern for easier spin. The lower power and lower SW also means more RHS for more spin. And the plow remains good enough that even on a 1HBH at full stretch, on the run, I still get the ball back over the net.

Hey Tim, that's a very interesting experiment! I've been pondering myself of late whether something a little quicker than my 4D200Ts would help my game. Was thinking of the BLXPS95, but I'm sure I'd have to add a bunch of lead to that to get it into my spec range. Modding my Tours would be a lot cheaper and would retain all the other qualities I like so much about this frame! How exactly did you trim the bumper guard, and do you think it will uphold to restringing after your mod?

Top Jimmy 10-09-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 6944059)
Hey Tim, that's a very interesting experiment! I've been pondering myself of late whether something a little quicker than my 4D200Ts would help my game. Was thinking of the BLXPS95, but I'm sure I'd have to add a bunch of lead to that to get it into my spec range. Modding my Tours would be a lot cheaper and would retain all the other qualities I like so much about this frame! How exactly did you trim the bumper guard, and do you think it will uphold to restringing after your mod?

My questions also.

If this sucker could come in around 8 pts HL I might make the pro tour at age 39. :shock:

TimothyO 10-09-2012 09:15 AM

Came in around 7 HL after mod and that's with a lighter replacement grip and OG. Original grip might push this to 8 HL.

I used a box cutter starting under the end of the guard using the frame as a guide. I did the first one while strung which I do NOT recommend. I avoided nicking the strings but when I did the second frame I did it sans strings and it was much neater. Next time I have this restrung I'll use a Dremel to further neaten the cut edge.

Be careful! I locked the frame using my legs and cut away from myself (legs, hands, etc.) My sons and I build models so we have lots of experience shaving and cutting plastic this way. It was almost like pealing an apple since I used some fingers on the hand with the tool to grip the frame. This made for stable, safe cutting.

Obviously the frame is now unprotected by any plastic but for me the tradeoff was well worth it. With the lower power I can now also soften with string bed. The 4G is nice but definitely stiffer than some of my other favorites. I'm going to try 4G 16L and some of my favorite MSV products in this new, lighter 200 Tour.

As for restring post pod, didn't have any trouble there. Got one back yesterday and it was perfectly fine.

Top Jimmy 10-09-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6944187)
Came in around 7 HL after mod and that's with a lighter replacement grip and OG. Original grip might push this to 8 HL.

I used a box cutter starting under the end of the guard using the frame as a guide. I did the first one while strung which I do NOT recommend. I avoided nicking the strings but when I did the second frame I did it sans strings and it was much neater. Next time I have this restrung I'll use a Dremel to further neaten the cut edge.

Be careful! I locked the frame using my legs and cut away from myself (legs, hands, etc.) My sons and I build models so we have lots of experience shaving and cutting plastic this way. It was almost like pealing an apple since I used some fingers on the hand with the tool to grip the frame. This made for stable, safe cutting.

Obviously the frame is now unprotected by any plastic but for me the tradeoff was well worth it. With the lower power I can now also soften with string bed. The 4G is nice but definitely stiffer than some of my other favorites. I'm going to try 4G 16L and some of my favorite MSV products in this new, lighter 200 Tour.

As for restring post pod, didn't have any trouble there. Got one back yesterday and it was perfectly fine.

If you have the time and means, could you take a picture?

Larrysümmers 10-09-2012 09:57 AM

i liked the 100. able to swing it fast and got a lot of spin and power. the 90 head didnt bug me and was nice on touch volleys