Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Siobhan: a question about the Volkl Organix V1 MP (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441973)

BruceG 10-03-2012 03:42 PM

Siobhan: a question about the Volkl Organix V1 MP

Siobhan,

In the playtest review you said that outside of playtesting the V1 MP had become your favorite racquet but I noticed in the 'Gotta Want It' vids you were using the Pure Drive. Was there something about the V1 MP that ended up not working for you or some limitation you found with it?

Thanks.

TW Staff 10-03-2012 04:37 PM

Hi BruceG,

Astute of you to notice! You're right, I loved playing with the V1 MP (power, spin, maneuverability, feel.. I really like how it is an all-round package that has a lot to offer me - I'm assuming you like it too? Good choice!). But, I have been spending a lot of my time playing with the PD. There are a few reasons for this, most of which are very silly..

First off, I have been using the PD to do string reviews so I can have a consistent platform from which to base my opinions.

Secondly, I actually grew up playing with the Pure Drive and while I had a little mini-vacay to Wilson for a while during college, the PD is my weakness. Whether it's actually the best racquet for me is yet to be confirmed, as it sometimes has just a little too much power for me. This said, because I love the feel SO much and because I have such a long history with it, it's my comfort zone especially in something with higher stakes, like the Gotta Want It before a tournament.

Lastly, I really enjoyed playing with the V1 but with so many racquets, I tend to go through cycles of playing with certain ones that I prefer when we have a little downtime from racquet reviews (like the V1 and the PD). We have so many racquets on our racquet wall that sometimes ones that I haven't played with in a while (but still loved) get lost behind all the others and I forget about them!

I guess my best answer for you is that, yes, you're right, I really, really liked the V1 and don't have any negatives about it, but my default is to pick up the Pure Drive. I actually want to thank you for the reminder though, because now I'm going to be getting the V1 out again to hit this week! I'll let you know if I have any changes in opinion about it now that I have playtested more and been hitting with the PD a lot.

Siobhan, TW

Nostradamus 10-03-2012 04:57 PM

^^^this might be silly question. but i also loved the Pure drive because it is one of the best serving rackets around. If not the best in that department. Does the new V1 Midplus come close to PD in that department ? how does it compare to PD racket in service department in power and accuracy department ?

BruceG 10-03-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6934190)
Hi BruceG,

Astute of you to notice! You're right, I loved playing with the V1 MP (power, spin, maneuverability, feel.. I really like how it is an all-round package that has a lot to offer me - I'm assuming you like it too? Good choice!). But, I have been spending a lot of my time playing with the PD. There are a few reasons for this, most of which are very silly..

First off, I have been using the PD to do string reviews so I can have a consistent platform from which to base my opinions.

Secondly, I actually grew up playing with the Pure Drive and while I had a little mini-vacay to Wilson for a while during college, the PD is my weakness. Whether it's actually the best racquet for me is yet to be confirmed, as it sometimes has just a little too much power for me. This said, because I love the feel SO much and because I have such a long history with it, it's my comfort zone especially in something with higher stakes, like the Gotta Want It before a tournament.

Lastly, I really enjoyed playing with the V1 but with so many racquets, I tend to go through cycles of playing with certain ones that I prefer when we have a little downtime from racquet reviews (like the V1 and the PD). We have so many racquets on our racquet wall that sometimes ones that I haven't played with in a while (but still loved) get lost behind all the others and I forget about them!

I guess my best answer for you is that, yes, you're right, I really, really liked the V1 and don't have any negatives about it, but my default is to pick up the Pure Drive. I actually want to thank you for the reminder though, because now I'm going to be getting the V1 out again to hit this week! I'll let you know if I have any changes in opinion about it now that I have playtested more and been hitting with the PD a lot.

Siobhan, TW

Nope, none of that is silly at all. Makes perfect sense to use one racquet to do your string reviews (gives real consistency) and a good idea to use something like the PD which is so popular with so many people.

Im just at the point where I've had some shoulder trouble and want a racquet that is easy on the arm, good sweetspot, a bit of pop but not so powerful I can't control it and that works really well for doubles as well as singles (I mostly play doubles; try to s&v on both serves). I thought the Organix V1 MP looked like the ideal candidate. I think I've tried almost everything else on the market but so far nothing has given me the playing characteristics I'm looking for along with arm comfort.

And thanks for the really detailed reply, it was greatly appreciated. You guys usually find the flaws in a racquet way sooner than us hackers (4.0 but move like a retiree) so I figure if you haven't found any negatives it's unlikely I will either. I'll demo it and fingers crossed it works out just as well although I might try it with something softer than a poly.

Thanks again,

Bruce

TW Staff 10-04-2012 12:25 PM

@Nostradamus,

No, not a silly question. I would say the V1 is really similar to the PD on serves. I really love how I can bang serves with the PD and not lose any of the control that I find so important, and I felt like I got the same qualities from the V1. It is a little lighter so you might find it slightlyyyyy less stable on some of the bigger serves because it doesn't have the weight behind it (this isn't a huge issue, you just might notice that difference from the PD). I had a little chat with Britt about it, and we both agreed that the strength of the V1 is the control and power on a flat serve over a spin serve, although it does handle spin well. Another thing to note is that the V1 is less stiff than the PD so it's a little nicer on your arm, particularly something I noticed on serves if you have a stiff poly in it.

@Bruce,

From your description on what you're looking for, I really suggest trying the V1. It definitely has the qualities you want as well as the comfort that other stiffer racquets like the PD are lacking a little sometimes. If you've got arm problems then play around with the strings a little, although you definitely are starting at a good, arm-friendly point with the V1. Let me know what you think after a playtest!

Siobhan, TW

Nostradamus 10-04-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6935706)
@Nostradamus,

No, not a silly question. I would say the V1 is really similar to the PD on serves. I really love how I can bang serves with the PD and not lose any of the control that I find so important, and I felt like I got the same qualities from the V1. It is a little lighter so you might find it slightlyyyyy less stable on some of the bigger serves because it doesn't have the weight behind it (this isn't a huge issue, you just might notice that difference from the PD). I had a little chat with Britt about it, and we both agreed that the strength of the V1 is the control and power on a flat serve over a spin serve, although it does handle spin well. Another thing to note is that the V1 is less stiff than the PD so it's a little nicer on your arm, particularly something I noticed on serves if you have a stiff poly in it.

@Bruce,

From your description on what you're looking for, I really suggest trying the V1. It definitely has the qualities you want as well as the comfort that other stiffer racquets like the PD are lacking a little sometimes. If you've got arm problems then play around with the strings a little, although you definitely are starting at a good, arm-friendly point with the V1. Let me know what you think after a playtest!

Siobhan, TW

Thank you so much for the feedback. I just want to say Siobhan, you and Brittany are worldclass players doing the playtest. TW is so lucky to have you guys. I can clearly see you guys are just 1 notch below WTA professional level. Your shot making is so beautiful to watch in the playtest. I just wonder if you and Brittany played a match, who would win ? Just kidding, i know girls don't like being compared. Anyway, your swing mechanics are Picture Perfect. Federer would be proud.

TW Staff 10-05-2012 04:36 PM

@Nostradamus,

Thank you, you're far too flattering to us. Don't hesitate to use the forum to ask the playtesters any questions in the future.

Siobhan, TW

BruceG 10-05-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6935706)

@Bruce,

Siobhan, TW

Siobhan,

I had a long work-out with the V1 MP the last couple days and the results were mixed. Biggest problem I had was when hitting my slice backhand. It was okay when I was just chipping or dinking the ball but when I tried to hit it deep to the baseline; I couldn't drive through the ball and caught myself flicking at it in order to get depth. It was strung with a poly (not sure of which one or what tension - probably around 53-55). Maybe I could get more out of a livelier string at a lower tension, but I'm not sure if that'll work out overall.

TW Staff 10-09-2012 09:39 AM

@BruceG,

I talked to Jason about the racquet, he likes a heavier frame than I do and he said he had a little bit of a problem with the plow-through also. He actually leaded the racquet up quite a bit to add more mass -- on the grip to add more weight in general, and on the head to give it more of that plow-through he was looking for. I know it's difficult playing with a demo, or with someone else's stick because you don't get to fiddle around with the strings or specs as easily as you would like.

I would also definitely recommend hitting with something other than a poly, particularly if lack of depth was something you struggled with. A livelier multifilament is going to give you more pop and easier power, versus a dead poly where you really have to smack it to get the depth and power that you want out of it.

Another thing to potentially think about it another Volkl racquet like the Organix 8 (315g). I haven't actually hit with this, but in my lengthy and informative conversation with J, he said that it has the same comfort as the V1 just more mass like we were talking about earlier.

Siobhan, TW