Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The GUSPOAT (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441978)

timnz 10-03-2012 03:00 PM

The GUSPOAT

We have send endless discussion about the GOAT, who about a discussion on the Greatest US player of all time (men)

Contenders for discussion:

Tilden

Vines

Budge

Kramer

Gonzales

Connors

McEnroe

Agassi

Sampras

There have been other great US players bUt i don't think i have left anybody out in the discussion of the Very greatest USplayer of all time

Each one case for the top

Tilden - 7 times year end world number 1. Most major titles of anybody on this list (15). Longevity - could still win the odd match against world number 1 (budge) at nearly 50 years of age. Great win loss record

Vines - there could be a strng argument made that he was the greatest playerof the 1930's

Budge - first winner of the grand slam - number 1 for 4 or 5 years (year end)

Kramer - number 1 for 4 or. 5 years (year end)

Gonzales - 14 majors (though more if you include winning pro tours and tournament of champions 3 times). Arguably world number 1 year end for eight years

Connors - most titles in open era. 3 to 5 times year end number 1 (depending on who you talk to).

McEnroe - 7 majors and 8 major indoor titles. 3 or 4 times year end number 1. (Only the atp list him as such for 1982 - when really he was number 3)

Agassi - phenom. Of all surfaces - fast grass/ indoor carpet. to slow clay. Won all major titles open to him (except if you rate the grand slam cup)

Sampras - amazing fast court player. 14 majors, 5 (or 7 if you count grand slam cups) major indoor titles. 6 time year end number 1

Hard to pick - but my top 3 would be (in no particular order) - Tilden, Gonzales, Sampras

BobbyOne 10-03-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 6934111)
We have send endless discussion about the GOAT, who about a discussion on the Greatest US player of all time (men)

Tilden

Budge

Kramer

Gonzales

Connors

McEnroe

Agassi

Sampras

There have been other great US players bUt i don't think i have left anybody out in the discussion of the Very greatest US player of all time

Tilden - 7 times year end world number 1. Most major titles of anybody on this list (15). Longevity - could still win the odd match against world number 1 (budge) at nearly 50 years of age. Great win loss record

Gonzales - 14 majors (though more if you include winning pro tours and tournament of champions 3 times). Arguably world number 1 year end for eight years

Connors - most titles in open era. 3 to 5 times year end number 1 (depending on who you talk to).

McEnroe - 7 majors and 8 major indoor titles. 3 or 4 timed year end number 1. (Only the atp list him as such for 1982 - when really he was number 3)

Agassi - phenom. Of all surfaces - fast grass/ indoor carpet. to slow clay. Won all major titles open to him (except if you rate the grand slam cup)

Sampras - amazing fast court player. 14 majors, 5 (or 7 if you count grand slam cups) major indoor titles. 6 time year end number 1

Hard to pick - but my top 3 would be (in no particular order) - Tlden, Gonzales, Sampras

Good list. I only miss Vines (arguably 7 years as No.1).

I agree that Tilden, Gonzalez and Sampras are the greatest.

RF20Lennon 10-03-2012 03:13 PM

I agree with your list!!

Mustard 10-03-2012 03:18 PM

A lot of great players there.

Limpinhitter 10-03-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 6934111)

Tilden

Budge

Kramer

Gonzales

Connors

McEnroe

Agassi

Sampras

There have been other great US players bUt i don't think i have left anybody out in the discussion of the Very greatest USplayer of all time

McEnroe - 7 majors and 8 major indoor titles. 3 or 4 times year end number 1. (Only the atp list him as such for 1982 - when really he was number 3)

Hard to pick - but my top 3 would be (in no particular order) - Tilden, Gonzales, Sampras

Good list. But, Ellsworth Vines and Tony Trabert deserve to be on it, IMO.

PS: Maybe an honorable mention for Arthur Ashe.

timnz 10-03-2012 03:31 PM

Vines

Those who said Vines should be on the list are absolutely correct. Don't know how i left him off. I have adjusted the original post to include him.

timnz 10-03-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limpinhitter (Post 6934153)
Good list. But, Ellsworth Vines and Tony Trabert deserve to be on it, IMO.

PS: Maybe an honorable mention for Arthur Ashe.

Vines yes. But would you argue that tony trabert was the greatest US player, or simply one of the greats? I would suspect the latter.

timnz 10-03-2012 03:38 PM

Would anyone argue against

that Tilden, Gonzalez and Sampras are the top 3 (in no particular order)?

forzamilan90 10-04-2012 01:35 PM

Pete Sampras

kiki 10-04-2012 01:41 PM

I agree with Tilden,Gonzales and Sampras, but the other 7 are very close to.Trabert could be there, too.