Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Head Radical OS Slice and Dice (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441979)

sm01 10-03-2012 03:18 PM

Head Radical OS Slice and Dice

I am a Prestige Pro player, 3.5-4.0 level, and recently picked up a friend's old blue Head 107--I don't know the model--its over 25 years old and was just messing around with it. I was able to put amazing spin and junk on the ball. Far more action than I can get with my PP with RPM Blast 18 at 45-47 lbs. He has the same results, has no idea where the racquet came from other than remembering that it was a cheap one. It is strung with syn gut.

It is relatively heavy, and is about an even balance or maybe slightly headlight, I believe. My friend is not willing to part with it as it is his "Hail Mary" stick when he is getting blown out, and I am eyeballing something for the same purpose.

My prior experiences with other OS racquets is that I could not keep the ball on the court--but this one I could and could do it with ease. Quite amazed.

I would like to be able to duplicate this ability with a racquet of my own. I have checked thrift stores with no luck. I am considering just buying a Radical OS and seeing what I could do with it. I anticipate that I will upweight it in a polarized config.

Does anyone have any guidance or thoughts about the Radical OS for this purpose or another cheap OS that might fit the bill?

I am also considering the ProKennex ki 15 PSE (the black and blue one).

LeeD 10-03-2012 03:21 PM

When you tried the RadOS before, you were still trying to hit flat and fast.
Now with the spin, you can control the racket.

sm01 10-03-2012 03:34 PM

Actually Lee, I have not played with a Radical OS. I have played with the midplus--and with its 18 x 20 pattern found it slightly harder to put spin on the ball compared to my PP.

I am eyeballing the OS because some poster mentioned that it it similar to the PP, more forgiving I recall, and that it is an OS that better players can actually use.

esgee48 10-03-2012 03:36 PM

What was the string bed configuration? 16x19 or 18x19? How thick was the beam? Have your buddy measure the weight, balance, beam at tip/throat. If he can get it, also the SW. This will give you somewhere to start when looking for comparable frames.

25 years ago, the old Head model line did not include any blue Rad OS that I can remember. You could post a picture in the Classic section asking for help identifying the frame. Sounds like a Vista or Ventoris 660, but can't tell for sure w/o picture assuming it's a Head. Could even be the re-issue of the Atlantis or Genesis 660.

LeeD 10-03-2012 03:37 PM

Nevertheless, when you switch to bigger hoops, you have to add spin to retain control, the control you lost in the trade for easy power.
On serves though, be aware your flat serves become slower, while your spin serves can gain a bit of spin.

sm01 10-03-2012 03:45 PM

Good thought on posting a pic. The blue Head is not a Ventoris or an Atlantis--I am familiar with both of those. I believe that it is a discount store model, just Head 107.

Lee you are probably correct on the hitting flat verses more loop.

Re serves, I have been using more of a set to launch type serve lately--loading the arm then exploding up.

I have found that it is returned less, and more weakly compared to my flat serve, and it is less work for me--I get a lot of floaters back with it--so I have been transitioning to it as my first serve.

LeeD 10-03-2012 04:25 PM

I assume you mean a heavy fast topspin serve, as opposed to a faster, but less spin flat first serve.

hrstrat57 10-03-2012 04:36 PM

ti Radical OS is a great frame and you can hunt down a pair cheap on the big auction site....there are a few up now. I think they pop up a bit in the for sale classifieds here on TW a bit too.

I have a pair matched and ready to go as soon as my game needs help. Need 2 because the open pattern results in a lot more string breakage than my 18x20 frames.

You can't have my pair...but strung properly they hit as you describe....fantastic..... a precise, super powerful frame that maintains most of the control of the Head MP frames and offers a lot more top and slice potential.

I actually almost pulled them out after a bad day a couple of weeks ago:oops:

t135 10-03-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm01 (Post 6934179)
I am eyeballing the OS because some poster mentioned that it it similar to the PP, more forgiving I recall, and that it is an OS that better players can actually use.

It is similar and that's a good analogy.

ace0001a 10-03-2012 09:37 PM

Did it look like this one?

Orion3 10-03-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace0001a (Post 6934608)
Did it look like this one?

If it does - is wasn't a cheap one! :)

sm01 10-04-2012 06:57 AM

It does not look like that. That is a more squared off frame. The one I played with has a more streamlined frame--rounded edges, and it says Head 107 in large letters on the side.

Since I play the microgel version of the PP, and the microgel radical OS is reported to play similarly, that is the one I am leaning towards.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on upweighting a radical os--keep in mind I am considering this an experiment.

t135 10-04-2012 09:23 AM

I was referring to the youtek prestige pro and IG radical oversize...very similar but os has just a little more power and stays very maneuverable. Not much help to you though.