Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Crank machine snapping string??! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441985)

Roger Wawrinka 10-03-2012 04:59 PM

Crank machine snapping string??!

Hey guys, Just today, I was stringing on my prince neos 1500 as usual. I was stringing a Wilson blx six one tour 90 with RPM blast string 17 at 57 pounds for my client. I was stringing the 2nd main on the short side and just like that.....gone, the string snapped on me. This has never happened to me before and I can not figure out why. Was the string itself weak?

Also, I has some questions about my tension head. Lately, I noticed the part of the string that is in the tension head, after I tension it, it becomes scuffed, why is this? Another thing that has been happening is after I let tension go sometimes the string will still be stuck in the tensioner and will not come out. I will have to re-pull tension to get the string out. Why is this happening too? Could this be a contributing factor to the snapping of the string?

P.S I clean my machine once a week, if not more. I feel like I need to with how many racquets I string a day. Which the number has grown from just a couple months ago.

MAX PLY 10-03-2012 05:12 PM

Where did it snap? In any event, it sounds like your gripper may be too tight?

Roger Wawrinka 10-03-2012 06:01 PM

As I was tensioning the 2nd cross on the short side. On the 90, I would be tensioning towards the throat, the string snapped around the middle to upper part of the frame.

The worse part was that it snapped off enough string that I could not finsh the clients racquet.

bugeyed 10-03-2012 07:58 PM

Not sure about the string breakage,possibly nicked string, but FYI I clean clamps, tensioner, clamp shafts, cam surface & the rails where the clamps glide before each session & the clamping surfaces after every 5 or 6 racquets. The clean clamps allow me to use minimal clamping pressure. I use a Star 4 machine.

Cheers,
kev

Roger Wawrinka 10-03-2012 08:20 PM

I do clean most of those parts, but probably not every 5 to 6 racquets, more like every 10 racquets. But I'll clean more often if that will help the problem.

Wow you're every lucky to own a star 4:)

Irvin 10-04-2012 01:34 AM

Sounds like the string is slipping through the gripper on your stringer. It could be when you switch to a 17 gauge string your gripper is not closing far enough causing the string to slip. Could be dirt in the groves of the gripper which is hard to get out without taking the gripper apart. I would not recommend taking the gripper apart to clean it but I doubt you can buy a new one. My guess is there is too much gunk build up on the gripper plates or they are just worn out.

If you decide to take it apart be real careful there are two springs and 28 ball bearings in there to get lost. Not a lot of fun putting it back together again either.

Irvin 10-04-2012 01:40 AM

You may also want to check you tension calibration if you have not. The tension you initially see when the machine locks out is what you want to see. Most machines are adjusted at 60 pounds but you may want to check a range of tensions. Like 50, 55, 60, and 65. To make sure it is linear.

Roger Wawrinka 10-04-2012 07:54 AM

Okay, Thanks for the response you guys, but now a bigger question. If it is that much of a pain and you (Irvin) do not suggest that I take the gripper apart. What should I do?

Irvin 10-04-2012 09:16 AM

Buy a new stringer or a Wise tension head.

I do have another idea though. There are paint brushes that are used to paint in conners and around doors and windows. They have a thin replaceable pad. Don't know for sure but those pads with the little bristles may fit between the plates and is soaked in alcohol they may clean the gunk out is you clean both surfaces real good. Not say they will work but may be worth a try.

I'm not saying you can't take the gripper apart as I did that. I'm saying it is not easy and I would not recommend it. There are two large plates the sliding grippers slide through. Make sure you mark all four pieces so they go back together right. While they are apart you can clean and inspect the surfaces that contact the string. When I put mine back together I had to lay down the left side large plate with 8 bearings in each grove. They lay down the left slide with the springs then the right slide with 8 bearings in each grove. Now you can't screw it together because the whole thing has to fit on the tensioner. Pick up everything making sure nothing falls out line up all the holes with the holes on the tensioner. Tighten the screws and check your calibration.

You could also go to the for sale section and look for another tension head. They may be someone who bought a Wise and thinks he will never need the old lockout. Maybe there is an old lockout out there with another problem and you can cannibalize it. You never know.

EDIT: Here you go place an add here
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

EDIT: Another quick search of the For Sale or Trade turned this up
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ighlight=Crank

jim e 10-04-2012 09:26 AM

If you listen to Irvin on this one, you may just receive another dirty tension head if that person you get one from did not keep it clean.Then you will have 2 tension heads with same issue. Since you were inquireing on different high end machines on another thread , maybe best to sell yours and upgrade now, as it sounds like you string enough to justify a higher end machine.Another thought is to send your head, (stringing machines that is) to tennis machines dot com and have it serviced.

Roger Wawrinka 10-04-2012 09:33 AM

Okay Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know if this happens to me for another time and then I'll tell you know.

R.W

Squidward 10-04-2012 12:30 PM

Contact tennismachines.com

They may have a spare tensioner laying about, or at the very least, they could repair any issue you have with your stringer.

Good Luck!

Brocolt 10-04-2012 01:25 PM

I am getting close to taking my gripper apart and cleaning it. It will scuff the string regardless of how tight or loose I have it set. In the meantime I fold a buisness card and put in the the gripper and it works fine without any scuffs.

Irvin 10-04-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 6935450)
If you listen to Irvin on this one, you may just receive another dirty tension head if that person you get one from did not keep it clean.Then you will have 2 tension heads with same issue. Since you were inquireing on different high end machines on another thread , maybe best to sell yours and upgrade now, as it sounds like you string enough to justify a higher end machine.Another thought is to send your head, (stringing machines that is) to tennis machines dot com and have it serviced.

My first suggestion was buy a new stringer or Wise tension head and that is still what I would do (preferably buy a new stringer.) I would use a business card in the gripper until i got a new stringer then sell the old one for parts. Good idea about the tennis machines though. Problem is no stringer until he gets it back if it can be fixed.

Roger Wawrinka 10-05-2012 06:06 PM

^^^^Hey guys, I was wondering, is there any way to widen the jaws of the gripper without taking it apart? Would that prevent scuffing?

R.W

Irvin 10-05-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 6938213)
^^^^Hey guys, I was wondering, is there any way to widen the jaws of the gripper without taking it apart? Would that prevent scuffing?

R.W

Effectively using a business card does that.

fortun8son 10-05-2012 11:28 PM

This is a NEOS, right?
Have you used the adjustment screw?
'In' is for thicker or more delicate string.
Sometimes flicking the gripper a couple of times before inserting the string can free it up so that it doesn't lock up on the string.

Rabbit 10-06-2012 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6938694)
This is a NEOS, right?
Have you used the adjustment screw?
'In' is for thicker or more delicate string.
Sometimes flicking the gripper a couple of times before inserting the string can free it up so that it doesn't lock up on the string.

And yes, there is an adjustment screw on the tension head. If the string is slipping, you can tighten it. If the string is being smashed, you can loosen it. When I used my crank head, I adjusted it so it didn't ghost natural gut.

Roger Wawrinka 10-06-2012 07:10 AM

Okay, So this screw is the one that is sticking right out behind the tension head correct? I do not have to take anything apart.

R.W

MAX PLY 10-06-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 6939027)
Okay, So this screw is the one that is sticking right out behind the tension head correct? I do not have to take anything apart.

R.W

Yes, that is correct. Turning clockwise widens the gripper and turning counterclockwise closes it. Basically you want to make sure that the gripper surface is clean (I use a cotton shoelace dipped in denatured alcohol) and grips the string as lightly as you can without it slipping. With some soft strings you may get a little ghosting but that is ok.

I cannot believe you need a new tension head--this is a Neos 1500 we are talking about (that machine cannot be very old)--your absolute worst case scenario is having it serviced by the folks at tennis machines dot com (they are the best) for a 100 bucks. Get a Wise only if you want a Wise--I don't think you need one. Good luck.