Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Best tension holding poly main? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441986)

Fuji 10-03-2012 05:43 PM

Best tension holding poly main?

Hey all,

Throughout the winter I'm looking at trying to replace my PHT/Gosen hybrid with something new for match ready sticks! So I'll need some of your help, I don't know too too much about the poly/syngut combos and what people are using these days.

Pro's of my set:

-Softer feel off the bed
-Decent pop with solid spin
-Lasts up to 10 hours of hitting (ideal range)
-Doesn't bother my arm one bit

Cons:

-Price, PHT is pretty expensive here and I can't order Babolat any more!

So yeah, basically the only downside is the price. I'm looking for a solid tension holding poly that's a "comfortable" for up to 10 hours in the mains provided they don't pop before that. Stringing them up in a Youtek Rad Pro. I'd prefer a poly that dies into more of the "springy / mushy" death, rather then the "hard as steel" death.

Thanks everyone! The only brands I cannot order are Head/Babolat. Any suggestions from possibly Tourna / Weisscannon / Volkl that might fit my bill?

-Fuji

Roger Wawrinka 10-03-2012 06:06 PM

I would try Black code 17, My favorite string and really holds tension well. I used to use RPM 17 but did not like how after a couple days of hitting the tension was so loose I could not stand it. Or like I said in the other post 4G is very good at holding tension too.

Fuji 10-03-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 6934362)
I would try Black code 17, My favorite string and really holds tension well. I used to use RPM 17 but did not like how after a couple days of hitting the tension was so loose I could not stand it. Or like I said in the other post 4G is very good at holding tension too.

I'll definitely have to try Black Code out. I'd love to use 4G but reels of it are bloody expensive!

-Fuji

lynnbart 10-03-2012 06:23 PM

Iontec Black, MSV Focus Hex, Black5Edge, Volkl Cyclone,,,are all good choices.

Up&comer 10-03-2012 06:24 PM

I'd try out b5e, though it does die more of the hardening death than the springy death. It will last your 10 hours though. One of the strings I'm really digging right now is SPPP Hex, but the regular is good too (so long as you don't mind the orange :)).

Up&comer 10-03-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnbart (Post 6934384)
Iontec Black, MSV Focus Hex, Black5Edge, Volkl Cyclone,,,are all good choices.

I don't know about cyclone, as its tension maintenance left much to be desired for me. While a pretty good string at first, focus hex does die the hardening death. I've heard great things about iontec but still haven't tried it, and definitely I suggest trying the b5e.

lynnbart 10-03-2012 06:39 PM

They all lasted a couple of hours better for me as a hybrid.

The Iontec Black continues to impress, it dosn't notch very quickly and doesn't stiffen up.....Plays very well and at a fantastic price.

cluckcluck 10-03-2012 07:59 PM

Don't forget to add L-Tec 4S.

pvaudio 10-03-2012 08:04 PM

I am amazed. Signum Pro Poly Plasma has the best tension stability of an poly out there.

http://stringforum.net/top5.php?cat=SS

~400 people saying the same thing pretty much is the best evidence you'll get.

Roger Wawrinka 10-03-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 6934373)
I'll definitely have to try Black Code out. I'd love to use 4G but reels of it are bloody expensive!

-Fuji

Tell me about it. 4G reels are very, very expensive, but I guess you do get what you pay for.

Mighty Matteo 10-03-2012 08:24 PM

mamba tennis? look at their strings

fortun8son 10-03-2012 10:47 PM

Signum Pro has the best stability.
Hextreme 16L, perhaps?

keithfival 10-04-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6934531)
I am amazed. Signum Pro Poly Plasma has the best tension stability of an poly out there.

http://stringforum.net/top5.php?cat=SS

~400 people saying the same thing pretty much is the best evidence you'll get.

SPPP is a magical control poly but beware during the winter- not a good cold weather string!

(OP mentioned winter)

un6a 10-04-2012 06:19 AM

Prince beast xp have best tension stability from polys i have tried by far.
SP Hyperion is second.

ductrung3993 10-04-2012 06:36 AM

Signum Pro Poly Plasma.

Killbill 10-04-2012 01:31 PM

How about signum tornado?

pvaudio 10-04-2012 03:40 PM

^^^ Very good, but still not as good as the Poly Plasma variants. I do prefer Tornado, however. Truth be told, you'll be hard pressed to beat Signum Pro in any of their lines as far as tension stability goes.

Fuji 10-04-2012 04:52 PM

Very cool! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I read about SPPP, and it seems to fit the bill, but the only issues I've read are the constant breaking while stringing? What's up with that?

Also, I'm playing indoor all winter, where it floats at around 30 Celsius, so it's definitely hot and humid conditions.

Thanks!

-Fuji

pvaudio 10-04-2012 05:08 PM

Fuji, I own reels of both SPPP and SPPHex, and I've never broken a set. It seems to be a batch that was sent out at one point.

Fuji 10-04-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6936289)
Fuji, I own reels of both SPPP and SPPHex, and I've never broken a set. It seems to be a batch that was sent out at one point.

That's reassuring to hear! I'm looking at getting a reel, so far it seems like SPPP really hits all the right notes for me. Tension stability, really low cost, and everything else seems to be "above average" which works well for me.

Quick question also, what is the most efficient syn gut cross for comfort? I've used Gosen for a while, and while I find it pretty comfortable, I've been wondering if there is another syn gut that does the job better for poly/syn hybrids?

-Fuji