Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   String a POG (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442004)

Mongolmike 10-03-2012 09:02 PM

String a POG

I saw a Prince EXO3 Graphite 100 Mid+ in the "Sale Price" bin at the club today. Its the emerald green stick with open rectangular grommets along the 3 and 9, and regular grommets at the 6 (and I think at the 12?).

I was wondering if there is any issues or problems stringing the open rectangular "holes", or just string 'em up like normal? (I thought I read somewhere that some of the other Prince "O port" racquets needed a specific tool or guide or something to string them.) I have a simple Klippermate drop weight stringer, and have never strung a racquet that didn't have normal grommets all the way around.

Andyroo10567 10-03-2012 10:06 PM

There are tools i believe for the Exo3 ports also. The main reason i don't enjoy stringing Prince racquets is because of the extra work needed to be done. :) Laziness much?

Irvin 10-04-2012 01:19 AM

You don't need anything if you string it two piece 50/50

bcart1991 10-04-2012 05:07 AM

Stringing an O3 racquet on a Klippermate isn't awful, just a little more work. You can call Prince and get some boomerang tools (if they're even needed for that frame), they should send them free.

Like Irvin said, nothing else needed if you do it 2-piece 50/50, but a little more work on a Klippermate.

Irvin 10-04-2012 05:25 AM

If you want to string a Prince racket one piece and you don't have a boomerang the easiest way is to place a smooth round object between the string you are tensioning and the last string you tensioned. This holds the strings apart so you can clamp them. Like a racket wrench socket extension.

But because you have flying clamps you don't need two of them to string the crosses. You could use one clamp moving it from side to side down the racket. So you could put one in between the two strings to hold them apart on the top of the frame, pull tension, and clamp the strings from underneath with the other clamp. never tired it but it should work.

Problem is the clamp is going to have friction. That means you tension will be lower. Better to have something hard round and smooth to reduce friction. Preferably some with the same diameter as the spacing between the strings.

I have also used nylon string. I pushed a loop of string in the O port from the inside and over the string I was going to tension. The put the end of the string through the loop and pull on the string with your hand. This pulls the cross string down the side of the racket. When you put tension on the cross the nylon string provides very little resistance and you can get the string perfectly straight which you can't do with some other methods. Then there is the S hook method and many other options. Some KMs have a brake that works too. My point is any method you use will cause more work. Why not use the 2 piece 50/50? It is no more work than some other methods.

EDIT: And with the 2 piece 50/50 you don't need anything to keep track of. if you call Prince to get the boomerangs you MIGHT get the boomerang you need and you might not but it will take at least a week if you do get it.

EDIT: If you use the the boomerangs with a 6 point stringer sooner or later you will have a problem where the boomerang does not fit in the top O Ports because the side support is in the way. DON'T RELEASE THOSE SIDE SUPPORTS NOW!!!!! They nylon string trick works great in this situation.

leroy_sunset 10-04-2012 10:39 AM

I play the EXO3 Graphite 93 and use a Gamma drop stringer. Trust me, the boomerang tools are useless. Use the 2-piece 50/50 for the crosses (basically, start in the middle). There are Youtube videos out there that suck, but will point you in the right direction.

Mongolmike 10-04-2012 11:56 AM

Wow, thank you to all. Very helpful and I note the cautions.

I think I will still demo the stick (couldn't tell what kind of strings it has currently), but being that I string my own I like to experiment with a wide variety of strings and tensions... and if this is going to be a pain in the butt to string as often as I probably would the first few months... that is definately a negative to consider before a purchase.

Again, thank you to all for your input. Not scared, just hesitant now.

jrxl 10-04-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongolmike (Post 6935781)
Wow, thank you to all. Very helpful and I note the cautions.

I think I will still demo the stick (couldn't tell what kind of strings it has currently), but being that I string my own I like to experiment with a wide variety of strings and tensions... and if this is going to be a pain in the butt to string as often as I probably would the first few months... that is definately a negative to consider before a purchase.

Again, thank you to all for your input. Not scared, just hesitant now.

The first racket I ever strung was an o3 tour on a gamma dropweight machine with floating clamps using the 2 piece 50/50 method. It's not a big deal.

Irvin 10-04-2012 01:34 PM

The mains are no different no mater how you do it. Stringing the bottom half is the same no matter how you do it. Stringing the top half is just like stringing the bottom. If you have flying clamps it's a piece of cake. The extra work comes in when you have fixed clamps dedicated to one side.

mad dog1 10-04-2012 01:39 PM

i clicked on this thread thinking there would be some discussion on how to string a POG, but this thread has nothing to do w/ the POG.

also a Graphite EXO3 doesn't play anything like a POG.

Mongolmike 10-04-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad dog1 (Post 6935988)
i clicked on this thread thinking there would be some discussion on how to string a POG, but this thread has nothing to do w/ the POG.

also a Graphite EXO3 doesn't play anything like a POG.

Ok, sorry for the unintentional mis-direction. I thought this was one variation of the re-makes.

zapvor 10-06-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 6934633)
There are tools i believe for the Exo3 ports also. The main reason i don't enjoy stringing Prince racquets is because of the extra work needed to be done. :) Laziness much?

the extra work involved is really nothing. just have to orient string certain way to pull