Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   And the best tweenerish frame out there that won't shred your arm to pieces is...? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442011)

Ross K 10-03-2012 10:16 PM

And the best tweenerish frame out there that won't shred your arm to pieces is...?

By tweener I mean something like my APD Original... 100" head-size, lightish, designed for power/spin/baseline play.

As well as a tad more control, feel, solidness and build quality, the important aspect for me is frame stiffness, RA. I know the way frames are categorized in this regard can be imprecise or up for debate whatever, but FWIW, 67 or 68 or so, that seems to be a stiff as I like a frame.

Reports on the APD 2013 having a 74 RA scares me... The Juice 100 appeals to me, but the 72 RA does not... There are certain frames I've played in the past (TF 315, MG Extreme Pro, PDR) that all seem to be about 70 RA and I just haven't been able to tolerate the harsh vibrations etc... The new Extreme 2.0 slightly intrigues me (though memories of that older Extreme are bad)... but The Yonex 100S is kind interesting me again.

Anyhow, there seems to be a fair number of tweenerish frames out there that would probably suit me - but a lot of them are like 70 or 70+ stiffness.

So... and the best tweenerish frame out there that won't shred your arm to pieces is...? :)

TIA

Hi I'm Ray 10-03-2012 11:20 PM

Hey Ross. Didn't realize you had any adversions to stiff rackets. I thought you were fine with them since you used TB16 and that the Pro#1 issues were because of the extra stiff customized frame. Where would you rank the APD OG in terms of stiffness/harshness?

Being a racketaholic, it might be easier to know which tweeners you've already tried. Also, are you going for more power, or is feel more important?

Have you tried the Exo3 Tour, 400T, or BB London?

RollTrackTake 10-03-2012 11:31 PM

tougher question than I thought with some people putting certain racquets in sub-categories but...

1. BLX Pro Open
2. Warrior EXO3
3. Formula 100

Bartelby 10-04-2012 12:06 AM

I can't see a need for a racquet over about 68 RA.

Shaochieh 10-04-2012 02:06 AM

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yone...EX-YEZX98.html

Ramon 10-04-2012 03:27 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but the new Pro Kennex Q5 is 67 RA. They made it quite a bit stiffer than the Ki 5, and that was probably done to differentiate from the QTour. It's really looking more like a tweener on specs.

Xonemains 10-04-2012 04:00 AM

Donnay Formula. Best feel out of all of them. Very comfy too.

smirker 10-04-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 6934638)
By tweener I mean something like my APD Original... 100" head-size, lightish, designed for power/spin/baseline play.

As well as a tad more control, feel, solidness and build quality, the important aspect for me is frame stiffness, RA. I know the way frames are categorized in this regard can be imprecise or up for debate whatever, but FWIW, 67 or 68 or so, that seems to be a stiff as I like a frame.

Reports on the APD 2013 having a 74 RA scares me... The Juice 100 appeals to me, but the 72 RA does not... There are certain frames I've played in the past (TF 315, MG Extreme Pro, PDR) that all seem to be about 70 RA and I just haven't been able to tolerate the harsh vibrations etc... The new Extreme 2.0 slightly intrigues me (though memories of that older Extreme are bad)... but The Yonex 100S is kind interesting me again.

Anyhow, there seems to be a fair number of tweenerish frames out there that would probably suit me - but a lot of them are like 70 or 70+ stiffness.

So... and the best tweenerish frame out there that won't shred your arm to pieces is...? :)

TIA

Think you have played it before but the Prince Ozone Tour gets my vote for performance and comfort combined. Was hitting with it last night and it provides just the right amount of power and tons of spin. Nice serve/volley frame too. Trialling a Yonex Xi 100 too but the jury's out on that one.

ollinger 10-04-2012 04:12 AM

Q5....they actually tout its medical benefits on the inner aspect of the shaft, and I understand why after using it.

goherd27 10-04-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6934877)
Q5....they actually tout its medical benefits on the inner aspect of the shaft, and I understand why after using it.

Are you using the 315 version? Do you have thoughts on how it compares to the Ki5?

Ross K 10-04-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Hey Ross. Didn't realize you had any adversions to stiff rackets. I thought you were fine with them since you used TB16 and that the Pro#1 issues were because of the extra stiff customized frame. Where would you rank the APD OG in terms of stiffness/harshness?

Being a racketaholic, it might be easier to know which tweeners you've already tried. Also, are you going for more power, or is feel more important?

Have you tried the Exo3 Tour, 400T, or BB London?
Re RA I prefer crisp/soft but seem to do better with stiff, if you follow me, eg being I've played a lot over the years with various Babs and 6.1's and they seem to fit with my requirements. Softer frames (like the Exo 100) I find it harder to access that put away/serve power. But I wouldn't say I have an aversion to stiff rackets, just some of them; the arm-kilers like I mentioned before (TF 315, Extreme, PDR), and I suspect I'd have the same problem with some of the newer, stiffer frames out there...

Yes, that specially modded custom frame did cause me some lingering problems...

APD/O is pretty much at the edge of my limits for stiffness tolerance. I also string low, plus this frame is just a tad softer than most Babs....

Re TB I moved away from that earlier this year and started hybriding. I'm now looking at a bunch of options including gut/poly. That said, whilst it indeed lacked in feel a bit for me, it's my fav ever bar none poly for power/spin/control...

Basically, Ray, I'm considering something very much along the lines of my APD/O but with, ideally, better feel/control/solidness/build but isn't a major drop off in oomph/power - and crucially, isn't too jarring either.

michael valek 10-04-2012 05:22 AM

anything Kneissl. white or black star, especially.

Ross K 10-04-2012 05:24 AM

^^^ Thanks everyone. It's a PITA hassle demoing here in the UK, so it's great to have this feedback. Food for thought then...

1. BLX Pro Open
2. Warrior EXO3
3. Formula 100
4. Yonex's (various)
5. Pro Kennex's
6. 400T
7. BBLondon

QSN. How does the Yonnie 100S play stiffness-wise in ppl's opinions?

MikeHitsHard93 10-04-2012 05:24 AM

I can vouch for the pro open. It's a good racket for just about anything. It's been a great racket.

Ross K 10-04-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 6934968)
I can vouch for the pro open. It's a good racket for just about anything. It's been a great racket.

You (or others) hit with the Juice 100? If so, just how harsh/stiff did you find it?

tennismonkey 10-04-2012 05:33 AM

for my sensitive arm, wrist and elbow it's been the following sticks. all five are comfy enuff that i can play full bed of poly:

1 - exo3 tour. about 11.5 ounces strung.
2 - becker londons. about 11.1 to 11.5 ounces strung.
3 - exo3 tour team. about 10.7 ounces strung.
4 - donnay x-dual black (10.7 ounces) and x-dual silver (11.3 ounces)

smirker 10-04-2012 05:36 AM

How about Pacific X-Fast if you can get hold of one? Tweener spec but with Fischer tech.

Ross K 10-04-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smirker (Post 6934982)
How about Pacific X-Fast if you can get hold of one? Tweener spec but with Fischer tech.

Well, I really liked the X Force Pro but in truth it was way too good for me (too demanding), so, yes, good call.

Power Player 10-04-2012 05:39 AM

Ross I dont think any of those sticks besides the PKs will give you anything you don't have currently. The Warrior is going to be softer but id wait to see the new stuff prince rolls out since they are ditching the Oports.

Ross K 10-04-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6934991)
Ross I dont think any of those sticks besides the PKs will give you anything you don't have currently. The Warrior is going to be softer but id wait to see the new stuff prince rolls out since they are ditching the Oports.

Interesting, PP. Hmm...