Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bought a Wilson Advantage woodie. Can anybody provide a little history info? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442093)

Long Face 10-04-2012 04:49 PM

Bought a Wilson Advantage woodie. Can anybody provide a little history info?

I just bought a brand new Wilson Advantage. Love it. Pictures below.

I'm sure that the seller is a member here, but I don't know who it is. Got it from the eeewwbay.

I tried to search the internet for history of this model, such as possible year of manufacture, had it been used by any pro players, etc. Amazingly, I couldn't find any. It seems that this model is absolutely nothing in the history of tennis racquets except "good looking".

If anybody knows anything about the history of this product line, please share it with us here. Thanks.

Long Face 10-04-2012 04:51 PM

Couple more pictures:

Long Face 10-04-2012 04:53 PM

And then couple more:

Long Face 10-04-2012 04:56 PM

Last couple of pictures:

retrowagen 10-04-2012 07:26 PM

I remember seeing those around (new) as late as 1983. It is a beautiful racquet! Don't know how it stacks up against the Jack Kramer Pro Staff (which was the top performance model with pro provenance, also available up until 1983 or so).

ritton07 10-05-2012 05:28 AM

...about pro players, I remember seeing a picture of Steve Denton, using it ..

joe sch 10-05-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 6936485)
I remember seeing those around (new) as late as 1983. It is a beautiful racquet! Don't know how it stacks up against the Jack Kramer Pro Staff (which was the top performance model with pro provenance, also available up until 1983 or so).

I rate the wilson JKPS and Advantage as the best wood rackets produced by wilson. They both play pretty similar and are a step above the JKA and were priced accordingly. I think the Advantage may have been the most expensive wood racket from Wilson. Would need to refer to some of the old marketing to see what exactly were the spec diffs but remember the JKA be more flexible and slightly less powerful. For collectors, the JKPS is the racket to have since McEnroe was pretty successful playing that racket including several USO and a Wimbledon title thru 1981 from my recall.

coachrick 10-05-2012 07:25 AM

I thought they were a little flexy and twisty, perhaps owing to the slightly thinner shaft. I didn't spend much time hitting it, but the customers' rackets also felt head-heavy compared to the neutral JK Auto and Pro Staff.

It was an absolutely gorgeous frame for the day, I'd say one of the best along with the Head Vilas. Never did care for the overdone cover...thought they could have dressed up the tan Kramer/Evert cover a bit instead of the wrinkled faux nauga-leather. :)

I don't recall any marketing that reflected the playing characteristics of the Advantage(except for that hang-tag!)...we sold most of them on 'looks'. The Lady Advantage was too little, too late, IMO. Perhaps either/both would have benefited from a visible player using them for tournament play.

As I recall, both models 'yellowed' quite a bit with age and use. That new frame you have is beautiful!

retrowagen 10-05-2012 09:03 AM

It's almost hilarious how the advertising bumf for this racquet (hangtag) touts its aerodynamic design!

That 1980 futuro-disco typefont for "Advantage" is really something else, too. Groovy.

What I really want to know is whether this specific racquet model, spaghetti-strung, would technically be considered an unfair Advantage... :)

VGP 10-05-2012 10:53 AM

When did Wilson start using the "split" logo, where there was a break in-between the s and o? Was it in 1981?

mmk 10-10-2012 09:56 AM

Reminds me that I need to get mine restrung. Too bad Victor Imperial isn't available anymore.

I can't remember how my long-gone JK Autographs and Pro Staffs played in comparison, but there was a difference for sure. As with any woodie, considerably more flex than modern racquets.

gavna 10-10-2012 12:01 PM

It came out around 1977.......Dick Stockton used it for a few years and did well. One of the best looking frames ever made but not that many pros used it.... For the ladies Wilson had a Lady Advantage with a different color pallet and lighter specs.

Long Face 10-10-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 6937142)
As I recall, both models 'yellowed' quite a bit with age and use. That new frame you have is beautiful!

You are right. I was attracted by the look of the older used ones, and liked the "aged" look of this racquet. But I ended up getting this brand new one. It does look nice and different.

I guess I will have to find me another Advantage, which is more "aged"......

Long Face 10-10-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 6946359)
It came out around 1977.......Dick Stockton used it for a few years and did well. One of the best looking frames ever made but not that many pros used it.... For the ladies Wilson had a Lady Advantage with a different color pallet and lighter specs.

Thank you.

I wish Wilson could build a website about the history of their products, with a database of all different models, years, specs, etc.

Rock Strongo 10-12-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 6937271)
It's almost hilarious how the advertising bumf for this racquet (hangtag) touts its aerodynamic design!

That 1980 futuro-disco typefont for "Advantage" is really something else, too. Groovy.

What I really want to know is whether this specific racquet model, spaghetti-strung, would technically be considered an unfair Advantage... :)

Reminds me of the font for this

I'd love to know what that font is called...