Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Will Murray reach #1 next year? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442096)

Evan77 10-04-2012 05:18 PM

Will Murray reach #1 next year?

OK, it might be too early to discuss this topic but I'm kinda bored so let's talk. Sure, we'll be speculating here but I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Fed is still going strong, but let's be honest he is not getting any younger (and no, I'm not writing Fed off at all btw). Nadal is a puzzle to me because of his injuries so not sure what to expect from him. However, I have to point out that Rafa was injured in 2009 too and he came back and won 3 majors in 2010, so who knows?

Djokovic is still going strong but not as strong as back in 2011. He doesn't seem to be as focused as last year. I think that Murray winning his first major will be a huge boost for his confidence. I guess we'll have a better picture after the AO.

My personal feeling is that Murray could potentially reach #1 at some point next year, especially if Djokovic doesn't step up. Your thoughts?

TopFH 10-04-2012 05:26 PM

He needs to backup his win at the USO plus some Masters. It is probably a good thing that he has performed rather bad at the Masters this year. Maybe he could go on a run (similar to Nole) next year.

It is too early to tell, though.

BauerAlmeida 10-04-2012 05:31 PM

Mmm, don't think so. Might get to 2, but I still think Djokovic and Federer will win more than him. At least Djokovic, but I think Federer has one great year left in the tank.

kaku 10-04-2012 05:56 PM

It's possible, he needs to focus on other tournaments too. He said an interview that this year he's been focusing on "the next major" rather than "the next match" or "the next tournament".

Evan77 10-04-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaku (Post 6936350)
It's possible, he needs to focus on other tournaments too. He said an interview that this year he's been focusing on "the next major" rather than "the next match" or "the next tournament".

It's kinda funny because Murray has been so successful at masters yet he wasn't able to win a major last few years. This year he hasn't won any masters but he managed to win the USO.

kaku 10-04-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan77 (Post 6936368)
It's kinda funny because Murray has been so successful at masters yet he wasn't able to win a major last few years. This year he hasn't won any masters but he managed to win the USO.

I'm happy with Murray's year already. GS+OG is not a bad year at all. A masters would just be icing on the cake

Evan77 10-04-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaku (Post 6936418)
I'm happy with Murray's year already. GS+OG is not a bad year at all. A masters would just be icing on the cake

I feel he'll win Shanghai.

Cup8489 10-04-2012 07:42 PM

Roger Federer will not allow.

NadalAgassi 10-04-2012 07:43 PM

I fully expect him to be ranked over Federer next year. I actually think Federer will edge out Djokovic for the year end #1 next year, but looking forward there is no way he will get any better than he is this year at his age, and Murray is only going to get better from here. Unless Nadal comes back in awful shape Federer will probably be #4 by this time next year.

Nadal is hard to say. It is almost impossible to say how strong Nadal will come back next year at this stage.

I think it will be hard for him to rank over Djokovic though. Every year since 2007 Djokovic has ended ranked higher than Murray, even years Djokovic struggled like 2009 and 2010 and Murray did very well, he still found himself below Djokovic at years end.

So I would say either #2 or #3, depending mainly on how Nadal plays in his return. Then again I do think Murray will be a year end #1 and 2 slam winner in a year at some point in his career before retiring. Maybe it will be next year.

Russeljones 10-05-2012 04:39 AM

If Nadal makes another AO final and takes the FO it would be hard for Murray to squeeze through to #1. The competition is still extreme even if we allow for Federer's deterioration.

So I am thinking yes he can if Nadal is out of the picture for a couple of months (again).

beast of mallorca 10-05-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 6936884)
If Nadal makes another AO final and takes the FO it would be hard for Murray to squeeze through to #1. The competition is still extreme even if we allow for Federer's deterioration.

So I am thinking yes he can if Nadal is out of the picture for a couple of months (again).

So you took out Djoko out of the picture ? What happened to him then ?

Russeljones 10-05-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beast of mallorca (Post 6936892)
So you took out Djoko out of the picture ? What happened to him then ?

I thought his influence on the discussion was self-evident but you have proven me wrong :)

beast of mallorca 10-05-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 6936897)
I thought his influence on the discussion was self-evident but you have proven me wrong :)

Hehe, my bad, didn't read the thread. Just the title. My apologies:oops:

Zarfot Z 10-05-2012 05:10 AM

Yes - Murray for 2013 YE #1. I can feel it in my bones.

Fedex 10-05-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarfot Z (Post 6936918)
Yes - Murray for 2013 YE #1. I can feel it in my bones.

I can feel it in me waters.

tennis_pro 10-05-2012 06:25 AM

I say yes. Nadal is a non-factor as he's only defending points for the next 6 months (looking at January to June 2013) and Murray is already higher in the race than Nadal.

Federer is getting old, 32 next year, how much longer can he keep up at this level?

The only obstacle is Djokovic 1.5.

merlinpinpin 10-05-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 6936517)
I fully expect him to be ranked over Federer next year. I actually think Federer will edge out Djokovic for the year end #1 next year, but looking forward there is no way he will get any better than he is this year at his age, and Murray is only going to get better from here. Unless Nadal comes back in awful shape Federer will probably be #4 by this time next year.

So, to recap, you expect Federer to be ranked #4 at the beginning of October 2013, and then end up 2013 as #1? I guess he would need a pretty GOATish end of season to pull that one off... ;)

TMF 10-05-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinpinpin (Post 6937095)
So, to recap, you expect Federer to be ranked #4 at the beginning of October 2013, and then end up 2013 as #1? I guess he would need a pretty GOATish end of season to pull that one off... ;)

Very unlikely to happen, because not all 3 players that are ahead of him are going to choke and while Fed play flawless tennis.

Romismak 10-05-2012 07:41 AM

No, if Rafa will play and Delpo will be finally healthy than i can see 6 players playing for points at slams+Masters 1000 and no way Andy is going to get most of it, with Rafa out - i would say Nole will win most at clay courts - Andy also isnīt good on clay after all, to many guys can beat him there - comparing to HC and grass.

No he wonīt be No.1 next season, we will see if Roger or Nole ends up YEC No.1 for 2012, but if Nole ends up i can see him being No.1 for entire 2013 consecutive weeks- Roger will be again older and defending a lot, Rafa even if will be back will defend a lot from 1st half of 2012 + he will have less points than Andy himself, because didnīt play in 2nd half of 2012.

Russeljones 10-05-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 6937044)
I say yes. Nadal is a non-factor as he's only defending points for the next 6 months (looking at January to June 2013) and Murray is already higher in the race than Nadal.

Federer is getting old, 32 next year, how much longer can he keep up at this level?

The only obstacle is Djokovic 1.5.

Being beaten by Nadal will always hamper Murray in his quest for #1 ;)