Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pacific XForce Review (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442101)

MikeHitsHard93 10-04-2012 07:36 PM

Pacific XForce Review

Had a hit for the first time with this stick tonight. I have never hit with a Pacific stick before, however I have hit with a Fischer Pro Vacuum 90 which was outstanding in my opinion (90 is just a little out of my range though ;)) Anyway, I was looking for a grade A used racket on TW with specs close to my Pro Open, but with a little more control.

Wow. That is all I have to say. With closed eyes I pulled this stick out of the box, hoping I would like the cosmetic first....Let me say that this stick looks absolutely STUNNING. Very beautiful stick. As for the strings, I ordered it with Prince Premier Attack Black (choice based off Mikeler's multis) strung @57lbs.

So, I obviously had to hit with it tonight lol. We all know how getting new gear in the mail can get us in the mood to play tennis in a heartbeat :D Waiting for my partner to get to the courts, I started serves. At the moment, my timing is slightly off because I need to add a couple of overgrips to tail-weight it. However, when I timed it just right this racket did not disappoint. Pinpoint accuracy, good spin, and a little bit of power on tap (not much).

When he finally got to the court and we started rallying, I could really feel this rackets flex of 58. I loved it. Kept most of my shots inside the lines that I went for. Not only could I hit with good spin with this rackets 16x20 string pattern, but I could flatten out just about every shot without worrying. With this racket, you feel very connected with your shots and there is incredible dwell time. Once again, you must have your own power to put away shots with this racket because there is very little power. I would say that this rackets power is right in between a Head Radical MP and a Prince EXO3 Rebel. This racket swings a little head heavy for my liking, so I will be adding the overgrip as previously stated (I did this with my Pro Open as well).

Overheads were great, as I could place the ball wherever I wanted. I even threw in a little bit of touch drop shots when my hitting partner was waiting for the smash. This racket has great touch especially with these strings.

As for volleys, I only hit one because I was having so much fun on the baseline. Unfortunately, I cannot give an accurate review on the volley because one shot simply is just not enough to know. I am assuming it is a great volley racket though, since it did everything else well lol.

Oh, and for all those slicers and dicers, I hit a winner with my backhand slice...that is all. :D

This racket was very comfortable due to its soft flex in the throat. The head however, with its Black Granite compostition, was solid as a rock (pun intended) and provided great accuracy and stability.

Overall, I am very excited to keep hitting with this racket and find new things out about it. It gives the hard-hitting player the confidence he needs to hit his shots within the lines, with spin or without. What a great buy!

Ramon 10-04-2012 07:55 PM

The Pacific X-Force Pro (heavier version) was a racquet that I thought I could easily see myself getting. I narrowly picked the Pro Kennex Ki 5x over it. The Pacific was comfortable, crisp, control oriented, and had power when I needed it. I can say that for the Pro Kennex as well. Both are racquets that worth trying if the Pure Drive and similar frames are too powerful for you.

MikeHitsHard93 10-04-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6936441)
The Pacific X-Force Pro (heavier version) was a racquet that I thought I could easily see myself getting. I narrowly picked the Pro Kennex Ki 5x over it. The Pacific was comfortable, crisp, control oriented, and had power when I needed it. I can say that for the Pro Kennex as well. Both are racquets that worth trying if the Pure Drive and similar frames are too powerful for you.

+1

These are really solid rackets...why'd you decide pk?

Ramon 10-05-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 6936600)
+1

These are really solid rackets...why'd you decide pk?

Between the Ki 5, Ki 5x, and the X-Force Pro, there were only slight differences, and I would probably adjust to any of them and play the at the same level in the end.

The Pacific was the most comfortable, had the best feel, and seemed to be the most forgiving. The PK's felt a little livelier with the same amount of control. The Ki 5 had more spin than the Pacific. The Ki 5x had less spin than the Pacific (because it felt heavier) but it had more plow. The tie-breaker was the serve. The Ki 5x was the best at serves, and I felt that groundstrokes and volleys were too close to call. The serve is my best stroke.

For me, these racquets were better than the Volkyl Organix 10 325 and the Prince EXO3 Tour 100, which I also tried at the same time. The Volkyl was underpowered, and the EXO3 Tour was too trampoline-like and hard to control.

McLovin 10-05-2012 05:36 AM

I've been using the X Force Pro for a little over a year now, and have no plans on changing in the future. For my game (4.5 version of Ferrer), it is the best frame out there. Tons of control, great balance & plow through (especially on service returns), not very powerful, but I can swing through the ball with confidence.

I used the M Pro No. 1 for ~ 2 months before deciding to get X Force Pro, which is effectively the 'Black Granite' M Pro No. 1, a slightly stiffer version of the M Pro No. 1.

I assume the X Force is essentially the X Force Pro, but with some weight removed from the handle as the balance is only 3pts HL for the X Force and 8pts HL for the Pro.

57lbs is probably spot-on for full multi, however I've settled on 17g gut mains (Klip or Pacific) @ 54lbs, MSV Co Focus 17 @ 52lbs, a great compliment of feel, power & spin.

McLovin 10-05-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6936851)
Between the Ki 5, Ki 5x, and the X-Force Pro, there were only slight differences, and I would probably adjust to any of them and play the at the same level in the end.

When I demoed last year, I tried the Ki 5 and for some reason did not like it. I saw the specs, and thought it would be a good alternative, but something just didn't click. Maybe it was the string.

My close 2nd was the BB Melbourne, but the X Force Pro edged it out in the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6936851)
For me, these racquets were better than the Volkyl Organix 10 325 and the Prince EXO3 Tour 100, which I also tried at the same time. The Volkyl was underpowered, and the EXO3 Tour was too trampoline-like and hard to control.

Agreed. I did not like the Organix 325 at all. I was so disappointed because I had been using the C10 Pro the year prior (just before using the M Pro No. 1), and was looking for something with a little less heft. I think I hit w/ the Organix for ~ 5 minutes, then put it back in the box.

MikeHitsHard93 10-05-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 6936881)
I've been using the X Force Pro for a little over a year now, and have no plans on changing in the future. For my game (4.5 version of Ferrer), it is the best frame out there. Tons of control, great balance & plow through (especially on service returns), not very powerful, but I can swing through the ball with confidence.

I used the M Pro No. 1 for ~ 2 months before deciding to get X Force Pro, which is effectively the 'Black Granite' M Pro No. 1, a slightly stiffer version of the M Pro No. 1.

I assume the X Force is essentially the X Force Pro, but with some weight removed from the handle as the balance is only 3pts HL for the X Force and 8pts HL for the Pro.

57lbs is probably spot-on for full multi, however I've settled on 17g gut mains (Klip or Pacific) @ 54lbs, MSV Co Focus 17 @ 52lbs, a great compliment of feel, power & spin.

I think I could have probably strung it up @55 lbs easily. But 57 does the job. Some rackets are different obviously because if I string my pro open @55 with full multi it is a bit of a rocket launcher. I'm really enjoying the way this setup looks though..now what color over grip.....

etrevino09 10-08-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 6936416)
I would say that this rackets power is right in between a Head Radical MP and a Prince EXO3 Rebel.

I have been using the x force for more than one year now, customized by adding 10+ grams. 5 in the tail (silicone) and 5 on 3-9. Definitely I found the x force much more powerful than the radical (never hit with the rebel). Might be my customization, or my tension (52 lbs.) but think than a constant taper 22-25 must have more pope than a flat 22 (radical). Great racquet!!!!

Chotobaka 10-08-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etrevino09 (Post 6943347)
I have been using the x force for more than one year now, customized by adding 10+ grams. 5 in the tail (silicone) and 5 on 3-9. Definitely I found the x force much more powerful than the radical (never hit with the rebel). Might be my customization, or my tension (52 lbs.) but think than a constant taper 22-25 must have more pope than a flat 22 (radical). Great racquet!!!!

Aside from adding weight, I think this is the most "tunable" racquet I have ever played with when it comes to simply using different tension and strings -- yet the feel always remains consistent.

Shurakai 10-12-2012 04:39 AM

Hello all,

first post for me. I m a 4.0-4.5 player from Germany (so excuse my english) and i m looking for a new racquet. Over the last years i only played several Wilsons all with 18x20 string pattern but somehow i feel like looking for something else.

Tested the last 2 days (about 1 1/2 hours each) the Pacific XForce Pro and was utterly impressed. Totally fell in love with that one! It feels like all my strokes improved and my hitting partner cursed several times that i should take my old Wilson again to give him a chance (ok was a bit joking but nevertheless it was good played from me).

I will test some other frames as well, just to be sure, but so far i would buy the XForce Pro immediatly.

The only problem is that its the first racquet in 29 years of tennis (damn am i really that old... well started with 6) that hurts my arm!
The test racquet i used has a damaged grip in my opinion. Last end of grip feels a bit soft and moving (sorry for cant describing it better) and the market sign at the bottom is missing (no problem with that but perhaps another indicator that something is wrong).

Also the string used is not my own but i normally dont spent much thought on strings (more like hoping they last long ;-)) and on my racquets i even tried harder and softer string usage so dont think the problem lies there.
All my former Wilsons in the last years were some grams heavier so dont think its a problem with weight.

Perhaps it really comes only from the grip. Sometimes when i havent hit the ball in sweetspot (especially at service) it felt like hitting directly through to the ellbow. Wasnt that bad and still a blast to play with it, but for a new racquet not exactly ideal. And even today the arm hurts a bit which i m not used to.

Someone of you had the same problems? Can the lightly damaged grip really be the cause of that? Dont had the impression that this frame is arm-unfriendly as far as i read about it. Its also not the best advertising to use a new brand that has a damaged grip but perhaps it was just bad luck. At least i hope bad luck and not bad quality of Pacific.

So would be nice if someone can tell me their experiences in regard of arm friendliness of this nice racquet.

McLovin 10-12-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurakai (Post 6949888)
The test racquet i used has a damaged grip in my opinion. Last end of grip feels a bit soft and moving (sorry for cant describing it better) and the market sign at the bottom is missing (no problem with that but perhaps another indicator that something is wrong).

I know exactly what you are talking about, and it is likely there is a problem with the pallet. Pacific grips use the Fischer pallet system, which is effectively a 2-piece shell that connects through the handle using 2 plastic screws (do a search on 'Fischer pallet' and your should see a thread or two w/ photos). It allows for easy swapping of grip sizes, but when damaged will feel as if the grip is moving. What is actually happening is the two pieces are sliding horizontally.

However, I doubt that is what is causing the arm problems. I hesitate to blame it on the strings, as many here are quick to say that dead poly, and not technique, is to blame for arm injuries. But when dealing with a demo racquet, this very well may be the case. Do you know what string was in it, when it was last strung, and at what tension it was strung?

You are correct in that many people have praised this frame (and its predecessor) for arm-friendliness, but that doesn't mean it is flawless. Ironically, a friend of mine switched to this frame over the summer and had me string it w/ 17g gut mains @ 54lbs, 17g SPPP crosses @ 52lbs. After a month, he had arm problems & had someone else restring it w/ full Pro Hurricane. Now his arm no longer hurts. Go figure...

Shurakai 10-13-2012 01:16 AM

Thank you very much for information about the handle pallet system! Havent known that.

I wrote a mail to check what string was used but hasnt expected an answer at saturday morning. Again a praise at TW (Europe)!
Its a Pacific Professional Poly Power Pro Control 1.25 with 25 kg (dont know english values)

Sharky-San 10-13-2012 09:20 PM

I'm looking for grip pallets for the x force pro, anyone know where I can source them?

Ross K 10-13-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 6949950)
I know exactly what you are talking about, and it is likely there is a problem with the pallet. Pacific grips use the Fischer pallet system, which is effectively a 2-piece shell that connects through the handle using 2 plastic screws (do a search on 'Fischer pallet' and your should see a thread or two w/ photos). It allows for easy swapping of grip sizes, but when damaged will feel as if the grip is moving. What is actually happening is the two pieces are sliding horizontally.

However, I doubt that is what is causing the arm problems. I hesitate to blame it on the strings, as many here are quick to say that dead poly, and not technique, is to blame for arm injuries. But when dealing with a demo racquet, this very well may be the case. Do you know what string was in it, when it was last strung, and at what tension it was strung?

You are correct in that many people have praised this frame (and its predecessor) for arm-friendliness, but that doesn't mean it is flawless. Ironically, a friend of mine switched to this frame over the summer and had me string it w/ 17g gut mains @ 54lbs, 17g SPPP crosses @ 52lbs. After a month, he had arm problems & had someone else restring it w/ full Pro Hurricane. Now his arm no longer hurts. Go figure...

That so chimes with me. I ended up with some real wrist issues earlier this year from when I had this extended 'revisiting' of the Fischer Pro No. 1 (silver/red). It was uniquely modded, plus the balance and weighting was different from what I was used to. But this of course is on a noted comfy, low power, quality built frame. My usual frame is a Bab. I don't know...

RE the X Force Pro, sadly I'm moving mine on as it's just too good for me - LOL. It is however my favourite more player's type frame I've played in the last year or so, and I'd really recommend it to others whose game is perhaps better suited... yes, superb low power, control, solidness, precision, etc.