Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Dead Balls Just Kill Me (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442178)

slowfox 10-05-2012 04:43 PM

Dead Balls Just Kill Me

One of my regular partners likes using dead balls when we play. He usually says they're "still pretty good". Even if I offer to open a new can, we still end up using the dead ones (he doesn't like the brand I prefer). And every time this happens I end up playing like crap. Yes, it's mainly because I normally play like crap :) but the dead balls make me crappier. I just can't get any rhythm going. After we play I feel like giving up tennis forever.

Dead balls suck..!!

SFrazeur 10-05-2012 04:51 PM

If it is a big enough issue for you then buy cans of his preferred brand and use those.

-SF

slowfox 10-05-2012 05:14 PM

Any brand I bring he "doesn't like"... lol. I think there's some sort of gamesmanship going on with him... haha

Chace 10-05-2012 05:27 PM

Whatever brand the dead balls are that he/she uses just try bringing a new can of those the next time you 2 play.

Rozroz 10-05-2012 05:30 PM

why even bother with him?
obviously he's no fun or serious to play with.
case closed.

mikeler 10-05-2012 06:42 PM

I have a guy who brings cheap Penn balls whenever it is his turn. He goes by ssgator80 on the boards.

LeeD 10-05-2012 07:16 PM

I find lots of weaker hitters, but superior fetchers, like to use dead or old balls for singles matches.
Seldom have I ever experienced a big hitter who brought heavy slow balls, or wanted to use older balls which are soft.
Me, I must not hit hard, because I prefer the heaviest ball around here, the DunlopHDHardCourtChamp balls, which are much heavier and knappier than Penns or those Wilson flyers.

SFrazeur 10-05-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6938264)
I have a guy who brings cheap Penn balls whenever it is his turn. He goes by ssgator80 on the boards.

Which ball are those?

-SF

NTRPolice 10-05-2012 07:20 PM

If you wanna get good at tennis you have to use fresh balls. Balls that are flat or fuzzless just dont perform the same as a new ball regardless of brand. Any new ball is better than an old ball.

Using flat balls for drills is fine. If you're going to rally, play points, or play games you have to use a fresh can.

Serves, groundies and the like are much more lively with fresh balls.

mikeler 10-06-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 6938315)
Which ball are those?

-SF

Penn Championship regular duty. After a set, they look like somebody put them in a clothes dryer.

Hi I'm Ray 10-06-2012 04:21 AM

I have a particular hitting partner who usually plays with newer tennis balls, but on days where we are stuck with mixed condition balls he doesn't seem aware enough to make adjustments. So when I see the flat (and usually darker) ball I push him back with topspin groundstroke and then follow up with drop shots or low slices :twisted: and it gets him most of the time. lol. You could probably give your opponent the same kind of troubles.

Seriously though, if you hate flat balls just bring a can of new ones next time and proceed to pop it open, when he says "I don't like playing with ____" reply with "Well I don't like playing with flat balls" the least you could get away with is mixing the old and new ones so at least half aren't flat. Then just don't use the old ones when you can help it, like when its your turn to serve. :)

ollinger 10-06-2012 04:25 AM

Ummm, why does the OP allow this?? Are you unable to man-up and just say "look, we have some used balls here and some new balls here, we're going to use the new ones. My treat." HE doesn't like the brand you bring?? Oh. Well you don't like what he brings! If you were sharpfox instead of slowfox, you'd just bring a brand that's okay with him, as then he'll have no excuse at all for not playing with new balls.

slowfox 10-06-2012 06:02 AM

Unfortunately I'm *slow*. :)

Last two times we that we played with new ones was a while ago. Both times I won, something like 2 and love. Ever since then it's been dead ball city. Next time out I'm gonna bring a grab bag selection of new balls.

sureshs 10-06-2012 09:26 AM

It is the revenge of the balls. You can make them dead and then not expect them to kill you.

Power Player 10-06-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6938264)

lol..I cant believe you guys play sets with those things.

mikeler 10-06-2012 09:35 AM

^ They are dreadful.

Tennisguy3000 10-06-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 6938926)
Unfortunately I'm *slow*. :)

Last two times we that we played with new ones was a while ago. Both times I won, something like 2 and love. Ever since then it's been dead ball city. Next time out I'm gonna bring a grab bag selection of new balls.

There you go.... he is faster than you & knows he can drop shot you & angle you to make you miss hit it or give a floater back.

You should at least alternate balls or insist on playing newer balls, tennis is not about playing with old, dead, lifeless balls... it not even the same game (tell him they change to new balls in real matches mid match after starting with new balls).

P.S. If you live in Vancouver , Canada hit me up.... I would love for you to bring some fresh balls before we play every time ;-)

Mongolmike 10-06-2012 09:45 AM

I think most people play with people who like the dead and fuzz less balls. They are the ones who say, "no, don't open a new can, these are still good!"... then they show you the drop test... holding the balls at shoulder height and dropping them to show you they still bounce as they say "see, these are still good, they only have a couple sets on them."

My reply as I pop open a new can, much to their dismay is, "nah, we're good enough for new balls... put those back in your bag for practice." They'll grumble and mumble, and once in a while I'll go along with their little game... but once a can is popped open, there isn't much they can argue about.

NTRPolice 10-06-2012 09:52 AM

I actually have a question about this...

I've noticed that "Penn Championship Extra-Duty" balls come in two varieties. One is a brighter, softer green color and one is a little more dull and more crisp. I want to say that the duller, crispier ones are exact copies of the Wilson championship balls but are rebranded with the Penn name.

I actually made it a point to compare them both... and AFAIK they are the labeled the same thing, except they're clearly different.

Does anyone know whats up with that?

Arnt those "regular duty" balls fine for clay and other softer surfaces like very smooth courts, grass courts ect?

tvu 10-06-2012 01:09 PM

Where I play, it's the norm to rally with old balls - even warm up serves with old balls. Then new balls are opened, and the 1st point is played brand new balls - never been hit. It takes a few games to dial it back because it's just flying like mad. If I had my way - open new cans at the very beginning of each outing - doesn't matter if you are drilling or will be rallying/playing matches.