Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Strings popped, first time! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442182)

BlueB 10-05-2012 05:14 PM

Strings popped, first time!

Recently I started stringing my own racquets and experimenting with various combinations...
I had an older racquet with nat gut, that played pretty sweet. Then I restrung the crosses to Prince poly, pretty low about 48lb. Result was, WOW! Racquet plaid 3 times better - power was still there (maybe even more), a bit crisper, no string movement at all, mega spin, killer slices, did I say spin yet :)?
So there I was, playtesting, just hitting with a friend, warming up for a set. I was having fun like never before, hitting spins, right over my buddy's head (short guy) and trying for more and more... The 15 min into that madness, PING!, the mains gone.
I had a bit left over of the same gut, so I patched the mains. Let's see how long this lasts. Needles to say, I'm addicted to this combo already!

Up&comer 10-05-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueB (Post 6938110)
Recently I started stringing my own racquets and experimenting with various combinations...
I had an older racquet with nat gut, that played pretty sweet. Then I restrung the crosses to Prince poly, pretty low about 48lb. Result was, WOW! Racquet plaid 3 times better - power was still there (maybe even more), a bit crisper, no string movement at all, mega spin, killer slices, did I say spin yet :)?
So there I was, playtesting, just hitting with a friend, warming up for a set. I was having fun like never before, hitting spins, right over my buddy's head (short guy) and trying for more and more... The 15 min into that madness, PING!, the mains gone.
I had a bit left over of the same gut, so I patched the mains. Let's see how long this lasts. Needles to say, I'm addicted to this combo already!

How long was the gut in there before you restrung the crosses?

I shudder to think of what you mean by patching the mains with some leftover gut.

Edit: NVM about the first point, I wouldn't suggest it regardless.

BlueB 10-05-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up&comer (Post 6938121)
How long was the gut in there before you restrung the crosses?
I shudder to think of what you mean by patching the mains with some leftover gut.

It just set there for over a year, only played lightly few hours.
Ha, ha, not the kind of patch that I think you imagine... Pulled out few mains around the break, retightened, tied off, then replaced the missing ones. Few knots more on the perimeter, that's all. However I don't expect it to last more then a set, max...

Up&comer 10-06-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueB (Post 6938442)
Ha, ha, not the kind of patch that I think you imagine... Pulled out few mains around the break, retightened, tied off, then replaced the missing ones. Few knots more on the perimeter, that's all. However I don't expect it to last more then a set, max...

Honestly, that is going to put stress on the racket it isn't supposed to experience. Some say it's fine, but in all honesty I can't see it ending well.

COPEY 10-06-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueB (Post 6938442)

It's worse than I imagined lol. Still, as nutty as it sounds to me, it's the kind of thing one can do when you own your own stringer. I just hope you only string your own racquets. ;-)

Readers 10-06-2012 09:19 PM

My Friend does this patching with S.gut, although his frame cost no more than $50 either, so I guess it's worth the risk?

BlueB 10-06-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up&comer (Post 6939766)
Honestly, that is going to put stress on the racket it isn't supposed to experience. Some say it's fine, but in all honesty I can't see it ending well.

Don't really see why... Asside of hitting the ground, greatest stress is the breaking of the string on ball impact and stringing itself...
Anyways, we shell see tomorrow. No big deal if the frame ends up cracking - neither me nor my Mrs played with it much.

NLBwell 10-07-2012 05:06 AM

I remember people patching string jobs years ago. Hadn't heard of it in 30 years or so.

BlueB 10-07-2012 03:33 PM

I plaid 15-20min hitting and few games with it today - still in one piece :D
To be fair, the incomming shots had less pace then other day (weaker partner).