Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why is Djokovic playing in China instead of Japan when he's sponsored by UNIQLO? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442192)

BreakPoint 10-05-2012 06:45 PM

Why is Djokovic playing in China instead of Japan when he's sponsored by UNIQLO?

So a big Japanese company, UNIQLO, pays Djokovic millions of dollars but Djokovic snubs them by choosing to play in the China Open instead of the Japan Open? The executives at UNIQLO must be pretty ticked off. I would have assumed that they would have put into his sponsorship contract that he has to commit to playing in the Japan Open every year for marketing purposes so that UNIQLO can show him off to all the Japanese fans/customers that he wears a Japanese brand.

WhiskeyEE 10-05-2012 06:56 PM

global reach, etc.

Big_Dangerous 10-05-2012 06:58 PM

Because Murray is playing in Japan.

:lol:

rommil 10-05-2012 07:05 PM

Uniqlo even allowed Novak to eat lo mein and misua so I'd say 'glo is fine with it.

BreakPoint 10-05-2012 08:30 PM

I don't know but I still think UNIQLO loses face by Djokovic subbing them and choosing to play in China this week instead of in Japan. And losing face is the worst possible thing in Japanese culture. Especially since Djokovic is probably their highest profile endorser, and especially with the current heightened tensions between China and Japan.

Lemoned 10-05-2012 08:37 PM

China is also a huge market for Uniqlo and they have Nishikori in Tokyo draw after all. Who knows if there were other reasons why Nole couldn't choose Tokyo, even if he wanted, such as some kind of longterm pre-contract? He was a ST (Chinese company) player and absolutely loves to play in China and is well-loved by the crowd as well.

BreakPoint 10-05-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemoned (Post 6938454)
China is also a huge market for Uniqlo and they have Nishikori in Tokyo draw after all. Who knows if there were other reasons why Nole couldn't choose Tokyo, even if he wanted, such as some kind of longterm pre-contract? He was a ST (Chinese company) player and absolutely loves to play in China and is well-loved by the crowd as well.

I doubt very many Chinese are buying UNIQLO or any other Japanese products right now. In fact, the locals have probably been trashing the UNIQLO stores in China recently, if they have any.

BTW, Sergio Tacchini may have Hong Kong investors, but it'll always still be an Italian brand. Just like Chrysler is still an American brand even though it was owned by Mercedes (German) and now by Fiat (Italian).

Romismak 10-05-2012 09:20 PM

HE singned with them just this season, last year he was out at this time in year, but he is basically 2x defending champion in Beijing-09,10, so why he would change it....

Yes being sponsored by Uniqlo would help if he played Tokyo, but unfortunately it is in the same week with Beijing, i think only chance he will go to Tokyo is if he wonīt be defending title there - h eis not like Berdych he will change tournament being defending champion, but it is looking he will win also this 2012 Beijing...

Sentinel 10-05-2012 09:33 PM

So if Federer signs up with Nike, he has to play in every US event ?

Some of the Nike/Reebok/Adidas stuff even has Made in Bangladesh/Pakistan on it. Poor Federer. He mustn't snub the challengers and futures there.

tusharlovesrafa 10-05-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6938529)

Some of the Nike/Reebok/Adidas stuff even has Made in Bangladesh/Pakistan on it. Poor Federer. He mustn't snub the challengers and futures there.

So true.You certainly do possess quite a knowledge for a guy who doesn't read Newspapers on a daily basis.:p

Phonco 10-05-2012 10:20 PM

I'm going to have to go with the global reach answer. Although you have a point about tensions between Japan and China, I still believe Djokovic playing in Beijing will still benefit Uniqlo. Having your highest paid endorser, and one of tennis' most marketable players should help offset loss of sales due to political tension, and in turn, boost sales in a declining market demographic.

You can also debate whether Nishikori or Djokovic would have a bigger effect in Japan, but I think having both of them play Rakuten would be overkill and only a marginal boost compared to the boost gained from the Chinese market.

BreakPoint 10-05-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6938529)

When was the last time Federer skipped the US Open to play somewhere else? Besides. how many times has Federer won the "Real Slam" in Cincinnati? Meanwhile, Djokovic skipped the Japan Open so he can play the China Open.

BreakPoint 10-05-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phonco (Post 6938627)
You can also debate whether Nishikori or Djokovic would have a bigger effect in Japan, but I think having both of them play Rakuten would be overkill and only a marginal boost compared to the boost gained from the Chinese market.

There is no way Nishikori was going to skip his home country's Open to play in China. Of course, Djokovic would have a much bigger impact playing in Japan since everyone already expects Nishikori to play in Japan, and Djokovic is a multi-Slam winner and former #1 (and could be again) and a much bigger international star than Nishikori.

beast of mallorca 10-05-2012 11:41 PM

China is a big market for uniqlo as well. Isn't it more wise that Djoker promotes the product in China and Nishikori, who's like a rock star in Japan, does his part in Japan ?

That way, both corners of the continent are covered.

Lemoned 10-06-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6938268)
So a big Japanese company, UNIQLO, pays Djokovic millions of dollars but Djokovic snubs them by choosing to play in the China Open instead of the Japan Open? The executives at UNIQLO must be pretty ticked off.

How do you know what Uniqlo asked him to do? Do you have any proof that they wanted him to play Tokyo but he didn't follow it?

Quote:

I would have assumed that they would have put into his sponsorship contract that he has to commit to playing in the Japan Open every year for marketing purposes so that UNIQLO can show him off to all the Japanese fans/customers that he wears a Japanese brand.
Apparently they didn't for whatever reasons?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6938672)
When was the last time Federer skipped the US Open to play somewhere else? Besides. how many times has Federer won the "Real Slam" in Cincinnati? Meanwhile, Djokovic skipped the Japan Open so he can play the China Open.

Tell me which tournaments Fed can play during the USO weeks. Challengers? Or which top 50 have chosen to play somewhere else over a grand slam? If you mean US tournament, he could have played San Jose and Memphis instead of Rotterdam and Dubai, I guess?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6938678)
There is no way Nishikori was going to skip his home country's Open to play in China. Of course, Djokovic would have a much bigger impact playing in Japan since everyone already expects Nishikori to play in Japan, and Djokovic is a multi-Slam winner and former #1 (and could be again) and a much bigger international star than Nishikori.

I don't think the size of potential customers for Uniqlo to gain by signing another international star to play this week in Tokyo, when they have the local hero in the draw, is that big. Especially the brand is already big enough in Japan and the reason they sponsor Djokovic wasn't for the Japanese market to begin with. Again how do you know both playing in Japan would have overall bigger impact or bring more benefit to Uniqlo than the combination of Djokovic in China + Nishikori in Japan will?

beast of mallorca 10-06-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemoned (Post 6938737)

I don't think the size of potential customers for Uniqlo to gain by signing another international star to play this week in Tokyo, when they have the local hero in the draw, is that big. Especially the brand is already big enough in Japan and the reason they sponsor Djokovic wasn't for the Japanese market to begin with. Again how do you know both playing in Japan would have overall bigger impact or bring more benefit to Uniqlo than the combination of Djokovic in China + Nishikori in Japan will?

That's what I'm saying.....:)

BreakPoint 10-06-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemoned (Post 6938737)

If Djokovic played in Japan, UNIQLO could bring him around to all the Japanese TV talk shows, corporate HQ to meet the greet the executives and employees, to it's main store in Tokyo, and various other promotional and marketing endeavors. It's not a big deal that Nishikori signed with UNIQLO, however it IS a big deal that Djkovic signed with UNIQLO and they would want to milk his presence in Japan as much as they can.

If you were sponsored by BMW, don't you think they would want you to come to Germany when there's a tournament in Munich to do promotions and marketing for BMW instead of playing somewhere else?

Lemoned 10-06-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6938746)
If Djokovic played in Japan, UNIQLO could bring him around to all the Japanese TV talk shows, corporate HQ to meet the greet the executives and employees, to it's main store in Tokyo, and various other promotional and marketing endeavors.

He did a pretty much similar job in NY prior to US Open as the 'global brand ambassador'. Yes, that's how they call him.

Quote:

It's not a big deal that Nishikori signed with UNIQLO, however it IS a big deal that Djkovic signed with UNIQLO and they would want to milk his presence in Japan as much as they can.
Of course the deal itself was a big deal. But you don't know the details of the contract and the rest is just your assumptions. Again how you know what they wanted from him? I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they totally didn't mind him playing Beijing.

Quote:

If you were sponsored by BMW, don't you think they would want you to come to Germany when there's a tournament in Munich to do promotions and marketing for BMW instead of playing somewhere else?
Munich tournament is called "BMW Open". Tokyo - Rakuten Open, not Uniqlo Open. By your logic, Nadal should play Seoul Samsung challenger as he's sponsored by KIA.

Romismak 10-06-2012 01:06 AM

I still donīt get it what are people here talking about he is playing Beijing, because he was commited to Beijing- i donīt know when but for sure he was commited to them, he missed Beijing last year, because of injury, but he played it in 2009 and 2010 - he is ,,basically,, 2x defending champion and he signed with Uniqlo just this sesaon, probably he was already commited to Beijing at time deal was signed between Nole and Uniqlo.

Also where do yo know Uniqlo was asking him to play Tokyo when they were signingin with him, i think they are big enough in Japan and wants Nole to promote brand in China, N.America, Europe.

I think if Nole wins Beijing now, he will be back for sure in 2013 - why would you choose other event when he will be 3x winner from 3 last years he played there.

Also another factor are money - Beijing have more money than Tokyo and Nole probably got big appearance fees and he never played Tokyo - he only would play probably if Uniqlo badly wants him, but again you donīt know that + there are probably glad to sign him and i donīt think playing in Tokyo was even mentioned during deal they signed. If even it was he said he is doing great in Bejing and is commited to play there again - so really we will see 2013 - but if he will be defending champion no way he will not go there. He is not Berdych...

Evan77 10-06-2012 06:20 AM

Chinese market is much bigger than Japs. It makes perfect sense that Djokovic plays in Beijing instead of Tokyo. Uniqlo is a global company btw. They are his sponsor, but they don't really have any influence over his schedule.

Also, I believe that Djokovic committed to China Open before he even signed his contract with Uniqlo.