Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Arm pain and strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442202)

martini1 10-05-2012 09:30 PM

Arm pain and strings

I have been playing with my APDC for 4 yrs now. Never had any prob with it until I tried a new cross this time. I wonder if this is because of the string switch alone, or is it my swing is slightly changed due to lack of practice.

Old set ups - hurricane pro or big banger as main, vs gut cross. All low 50's.
Current - hurricane pro main Nvy cross 52lbs.

scotus 10-05-2012 10:00 PM

It could be any or a combination of the following:

1. Damage to the arm has been building up slowly due to your stiff racquet and strings.

2. You're getting older and your tendon isn't healing itself as quickly or properly as before.

3. Nvy, while soft, is not as soft as VS.

4. Your technique needs a tune-up, due to lack of practice.

5. You might be hurting your arm from an activity outside tennis.

fortun8son 10-05-2012 10:18 PM

^^^ That, pretty much, sums it up.

Jay_The_Nomad 10-05-2012 11:08 PM

I think you are rusty. Usually when I lay off tennis for a few weeks, I get a few aches at the start of my hitting sessions cuz of hitting off centre. But once I'm grooved in and hitting the ball nicely in the middle of the racquet, I don't notice the shocks anymore even if i forgot to restring and am using very very dead polyester.

Dead poly definitely feels harsher than freshly string poly but I find the difference not as significant as when I'm really misfiring.

martini1 10-05-2012 11:26 PM

I have been trying to hit some hard kick serves too. Don't know if this is one of the cause...

as far as #2 and #5 I think my short break isn't that dramatic... and my arm is definitely happening the next day after tennis. and it has happened the 3rd time in a row after the new string set up.

In the summer I played with sweet 17 @ 58lb and no pain at all. I hate the strings moved too much after each hit so I cut it last month when i started to play twice a week again. :(

fortun8son 10-05-2012 11:48 PM

I've not heard of any problems with NvY as a cross...ever.
If you like Sweet, try the 16 Gold and bump it a couple of # above the main.
Also remember that PHT dies fairly quickly, so that by the time the crosses are moving around, it's probably time to replace the mains, too.

martini1 10-06-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6938708)
I've not heard of any problems with NvY as a cross...ever.
If you like Sweet, try the 16 Gold and bump it a couple of # above the main.
Also remember that PHT dies fairly quickly, so that by the time the crosses are moving around, it's probably time to replace the mains, too.

My bad. I meant playing with sweet 17 full bed. I tried sweet 17 as a cross but didn't like it. It doesn't let the PHT slide freely. The main moved with short playing time.

I also think Nvy is not a super hard string, but don't know why my arm is hurting. It is not the tennis elbow type. The whole joint kind of sore, from the inside.

Hi I'm Ray 10-06-2012 04:04 AM

A couple of weeks ago I was playing against a strong wind that was also blowing sideways. The guy I was hitting with mixes up flat, flat/skidding, slice, slice/skidding, and heavy topspin, all while disguising his strokes. The wind conditions made his shots faster and harder to time, and the sideways wind didn't help much. I was getting in position with the racket back then the ball would come off the bounce in unexpected ways - I ended up adjusting at the last moment and swinging more from my arm on lot of my shots which I normally don't do. My arm didn't feel so great the next day, particularly near the inside of my elbow. If you found your timing off and compensated by adjusting more with your arm, this could whats causing the pain.

martini1 10-06-2012 05:29 AM

But unless u use a lot of elbow, over swinging should cause pain on shoulders more than anything. I agree with u that swing from out of position is bad. I have done it more lately.

Hi I'm Ray 10-06-2012 05:52 AM

-----------------------------

anubis 10-06-2012 06:15 AM

I've got n.vy in a full bed @ 62lbs and I think it's quite soft. Softer than most multis I've used.