Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help needed - review of the PK Kinetic Pro 5G Classic (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442208)

BruceG 10-05-2012 10:35 PM

Help needed - review of the PK Kinetic Pro 5G Classic

I'm in a position where it's tough to demo (Im working outside the States and have to do a lot of organising to demo a racquet - don't want to waste time) so really need input from fellow TW-ers. I've searched and found a few comments but not very much at all and nothing really outside this site.

Just looking for the standard info - overall playability; power/spin/control levels; comfort; how does it handle serves/volleys/groundies.

Thanks very much guys,

Bruce G

SteveI 10-06-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceG (Post 6938647)
I'm in a position where it's tough to demo (Im working outside the States and have to do a lot of organising to demo a racquet - don't want to waste time) so really need input from fellow TW-ers. I've searched and found a few comments but not very much at all and nothing really outside this site.

Just looking for the standard info - overall playability; power/spin/control levels; comfort; how does it handle serves/volleys/groundies.

Thanks very much guys,

Bruce G

I am guessing you are getting no feedback on this since there is a TON of info out there on this frame. The customer feeback listed with the frame is almost too much to read.. and if you use the search engine here you can find again.. a TON of info. This frame has been out there for about 20 years..so I bet a great # of players have experience with this frame. Steve Huff is very much an expert with this frame. Maybe drop him an e-mail.

Short review... great overall frame.. Lighter player's frame. Great off the ground.. great control and COMFORT. Folks have reported a lack of power on the serve. Great volley stick. String with Nat Gut about 52.. and the frame is amazing. Does everything pretty good... and not really any wow factor. Good strokes in...good performace out. You cna get these used for about $65.00.. and $119.00 used. Been a best seller for PK and TW forever!!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feed...tml?pcode=P5G2

Good Luck..
Steve

prjacobs 10-06-2012 05:42 AM

I absolutely hated it when I picked it up and it's been in my closet for a year. I'm going to try and add some lead to the hoop as many people have suggested. It felt flimsy to me... But then again, many people love it :) .

SteveI 10-06-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prjacobs (Post 6938912)
I absolutely hated it when I picked it up and it's been in my closet for a year. I'm going to try and add some lead to the hoop as many people have suggested. It felt flimsy to me... But then again, many people love it :) .

Yes.. the upper loop can be a problem for some. I tend to hit the ball lower in the stringbed. I also string lower and power does not seem to be an issue. As a matter of fact.. I just strung mine.. will bring it along today and play some dbs with it today. Happy to report back. I am playing it stock.. with a high end multi at 52/50.

Steve

BruceG 10-06-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 6938910)
I am guessing you are getting no feedback on this since there is a TON of info out there on this frame. The customer feeback listed with the frame is almost too much to read.. and if you use the search engine here you can find again.. a TON of info. This frame has been out there for about 20 years..so I bet a great # of players have experience with this frame. Steve Huff is very much an expert with this frame. Maybe drop him an e-mail.

Short review... great overall frame.. Lighter player's frame. Great off the ground.. great control and COMFORT. Folks have reported a lack of power on the serve. Great volley stick. String with Nat Gut about 52.. and the frame is amazing. Does everything pretty good... and not really any wow factor. Good strokes in...good performace out. You cna get these used for about $65.00.. and $119.00 used. Been a best seller for PK and TW forever!!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feed...tml?pcode=P5G2

Good Luck..
Steve

Steve,

Thanks very much for the review, it was greatly appreciated.

I have done a lot of searching on this site and even tried a Google advanced search for only this domain ('5G' being too few characters to work in a TW search). However, there really isn't a lot of information that has any particular depth to it. People talk about it as arm-friendly but they very, very, very rarely go beyond that and no-one seems to get into the nuts and bolts of how it performed on court for them. That's what I was looking for.

As for the customer feedback on the TW site,it seems to me that people post when they're either in the honeymoon phase or when they've only had limited experience of the racquet. Either way it doesn't give me much to go on. That's where I was hoping the TT forum would help fill in the gaps.

I'll send Steve Huff an email though; thanks for that suggestion and your review.

BruceG 10-06-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 6938995)
Yes.. the upper loop can be a problem for some. I tend to hit the ball lower in the stringbed. I also string lower and power does not seem to be an issue. As a matter of fact.. I just strung mine.. will bring it along today and play some dbs with it today. Happy to report back. I am playing it stock.. with a high end multi at 52/50.

Steve

I tend to hit higher on the string bed so that might be an issue. Trouble is, I like a very head light racquet (8pts+) and I that seems to be the problem with almost all of them. I will say though, I don't want to be adding any weight to it so that might also be a deal breaker. As it is, the specs are ideal but if I need any more weight then I'd be better looking at something else (not sure what that would be).

Ramon 10-06-2012 02:09 PM

I never played with the 5G, but I know the upper hoop response on the Ki 5 (which is essentially an updated 5G) is quite good. People who compared the two usually characterize the Ki 5 as more crisp (a good thing) or more stiff and uncomfortable (a bad thing). I know my arm did get better after switching to the Ki 5x, so stiffness or not, it did help my elbow.