Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Old Schooler - Therapy Needed - help! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442223)

Frankc 10-06-2012 06:21 AM

Old Schooler - Therapy Needed - help!

I mean it - I enjoy the posts on former players and the former game immensely. Thanks all...
My problem, and it really does bother me, is that I can find little enjoyment in the modern pro game. For example, I used to tape and watch and eat up the Slams years ago. I'd work all day, come home , pop in the tape, and be all eyes and ears. And the US Open late night sessions - just a blast to anticipate. Fact is, I (this does bother me) I did not watch one match in its entirity during the last US Open!!!

I enjoy the posts here, and I thought this might be a good place to look for therapy. My need - for you who really know and enjoy the pro game, what should I learn to appreciate about the present male/female pro game? As a lover of our game, what do I need to tune into to enjoy the talent and evolution of today's game?

My background - I revel in the game of the 80's - late 90's.

Thanks for reading this - any tips might really let me see what a lover of the game really appreciates today... Thanks

BTURNER 10-06-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankc (Post 6938964)
I mean it - I enjoy the posts on former players and the former game immensely. Thanks all...
My problem, and it really does bother me, is that I can find little enjoyment in the modern pro game. For example, I used to tape and watch and eat up the Slams years ago. I'd work all day, come home , pop in the tape, and be all eyes and ears. And the US Open late night sessions - just a blast to anticipate. Fact is, I (this does bother me) I did not watch one match in its entirity during the last US Open!!!

I enjoy the posts here, and I thought this might be a good place to look for therapy. My need - for you who really know and enjoy the pro game, what should I learn to appreciate about the present male/female pro game? As a lover of our game, what do I need to tune into the enjoy the talent and evolution of today's game?

My background - I revel in the game of the 80's - late 90's.

Thanks for reading this - any tips might really let me see what a lover of the game really appreciates today... Thanks

I'd love to help, but I haven't finished a tennis match from 2012 either. You don't want my advice. We have the same viral infection, my friend. My bet is that the contagion is common in former player talk.

thelastfurlong 10-06-2012 10:19 AM

I'm becoming the same myself. I didn't watch the finals in australia, paris or flushing meadows mainly because i didn't think i'd be able to stomach them.

I'm 22 and have always been a fan of the more classic style of play (even though it was being phased out when i was starting to play) but i really feel as if i'm falling out of love with watching tennis. Playing and competing still gives great enjoyment but like you say i find myself recording less tennis to watch later.

I feel it's a genuine problem because i feel that being a fan of sport, surely an integral part is watching the pro game. Isn't that what shapes the recreational game?

So yes I need help too! :)

Or perhaps...pro tennis needs help :shock:

kiki 10-06-2012 10:57 AM

Pleased to join the club.The only match I could stand, and not fall asleep, over the last years was the 2008 W final.

hoodjem 10-06-2012 11:34 AM

Not a fan of baseline-basing?

What's wrong with us?

Rozroz 10-06-2012 11:41 AM

Fed was the last one that kept it interesting.
now it's 90% bull fight to death.. pleasing the audience somehow.

Limpinhitter 10-06-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6939474)
Not a fan of baseline-basing?

What's wrong with us?

I have painstakingly transformed my game from old school to modern to take full advantage of modern racquets and be as competitive as I can be at my age. I suppose that makes it easier for me to relate to the modern pro game. I certainly do enjoy it live.

Virginia 10-06-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rozroz (Post 6939481)
Fed was the last one that kept it interesting.
now it's 90% bull fight to death.. pleasing the audience somehow.

Raonic, if he continues along the path he seems to be taking, might just take over the reins from Fed. I'm already enjoying his game and feel positive about his future.

NLBwell 10-06-2012 03:12 PM

From the days of Laver and Ashe to the current days, I love watching tennis. Youtube is great. You can find matches of the past, sometimes Challenger matches, and even junior matches to watch to vary the viewing experience. Watching Murray/Nadal/Djokovic/Federer does get boring after a while, so mix it up. I think one thing that makes it hard to watch is the time between points. They made the baseball pitchers speed up to make the game watchable, they need to make the tennis players play continuously. I can't watch the matches live because I don't have the patience to watch the commercials between the games, but I can fast-forward through them if they are recorded. (NFL football is even worse for commercials)

Frankc 10-06-2012 03:35 PM

Thanks all... As I am in therapy and I need it, I now have a support group it seems.

Back to pro tennis, I would much prefer "enjoying" today's pro game and I appreciate your tips that would put that game in a new light, for me. I just want a new set of lenses so I can enjoy pro tennis again. So I just need to look for and appreciate the : ???

BTURNER 10-06-2012 06:51 PM

There is no reparative therapy for this endorsed by the American Pschology Association or the American Medical Association. Best practices for therapy are designed to help you accept yourself and adjust to your personal sports attractions and not try to change them out of shame or guilt. Its okay if you are more attracted to a Connors- Lendl or Becker- Edberg match than to a Tsongas- Isner match. If others won't accept it in you, its their problem.

hoodjem 10-07-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankc (Post 6939750)
Thanks all... As I am in therapy and I need it, I now have a support group it seems.

Back to pro tennis, I would much prefer "enjoying" today's pro game and I appreciate your tips that would put that game in a new light, for me. I just want a new set of lenses so I can enjoy pro tennis again. So I just need to look for and appreciate the : ???

Unfortunately, I think you just have to give up any hope of seeing any "artistry" in the present game, and learn to enjoy the "physicality" of it.

slowfox 10-07-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 6939736)
From the days of Laver and Ashe to the current days, I love watching tennis. Youtube is great. You can find matches of the past, sometimes Challenger matches, and even junior matches to watch to vary the viewing experience. Watching Murray/Nadal/Djokovic/Federer does get boring after a while, so mix it up. I think one thing that makes it hard to watch is the time between points. They made the baseball pitchers speed up to make the game watchable, they need to make the tennis players play continuously. I can't watch the matches live because I don't have the patience to watch the commercials between the games, but I can fast-forward through them if they are recorded. (NFL football is even worse for commercials)

Yeah, YouTube is great for tennis fans. I love looking up players from way back (like 60s 70s) and watching clips. Another great thing about some videos on YouTube is that some are edited to just show points and none of the in-between stuff like toweling off etc.

joe sch 10-08-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6940664)
Unfortunately, I think you just have to give up any hope of seeing any "artistry" in the present game, and learn to enjoy the "physicality" of it.

Agree. You just have to learn to appreciate how todays supremely trained athletic tennis players have optimized the ability to move from corner to corner blasting tennis balls with rpms unachievable with standard head woods and midsize old school graphites. Then again, why not just watch a classic old matchup with all court SV entertainment ;)

muddlehead 10-08-2012 08:15 AM

it's called aging. incredible how much tennis has changed / evolved over the years when compared to other sports. as you get older, you'll no doubt have a favorite era. i enjoy the 60's grass court low crazy bounce stuff and the borg vilas evert ridiculously long clay court rally battles. my problem with today's men's game - and i go to indian wells every year in march - so it's not like i'm totally living in the past - is the slowness of play, the towel...

hoodjem 10-08-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddlehead (Post 6942242)
it's called aging. incredible how much tennis has changed / evolved over the years when compared to other sports. as you get older, you'll no doubt have a favorite era. i enjoy the 60's grass court low crazy bounce stuff and the borg vilas evert ridiculously long clay court rally battles. my problem with today's men's game - and i go to indian wells every year in march - so it's not like i'm totally living in the past - is the slowness of play, the towel...

But that slowness and toweling off are so physically demanding.

I remember the bad ole days when the players were not allowed to sit between games--what wimps!

muddlehead 10-08-2012 09:12 PM

must not forget the always entertaining careful inspection of all six balls before a serve...

hoodjem 10-09-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddlehead (Post 6943501)
must not forget the always entertaining careful inspection of all six balls before a serve...

Yep, so much more physical today. Rectal fabric extraction is ssooooooo physically demanding. No wonder players don't last long.

I am fatigued just thinking about Nadal's pre-service ritual.

kalyan4fedever 10-09-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6943891)
Yep, so much more physical today. Rectal extraction is ssooooooo physically demanding. No wonder players don't last long.

I am fatigued just thinking about Nadal's pre-service ritual.

hahahhaah good one....

Frankc 10-09-2012 06:34 AM

This is helping, I must admit. I thought that I was the crazy one...
Was enjoying a Nastase-Connors match the other day, and I was struck by how quickly they went about business. At one point, Connors intentionally held up Nastase's service and you could just see Nasty staring his way. And then things picked up - so quick...

Yes, as to the physicality - my first thoughts watching a Nole and Nadal "tennis match" (I'll call it that) was "How can they do this for that long, that fast, and I cannot believe what they are doing to each other, physically?" It was in a match the next day when a commentator mentioned the "gladiator thought - the utter fight to the death allure for the spectator...