Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Raonic, clearly the next guy to break through and win a slam. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442225)

tistrapukcipeht 10-06-2012 07:50 AM

Raonic, clearly the next guy to break through and win a slam.

I don't see anybody else besides him, no one else has enough game at a relatively comfort level (big serve gets it done) to beat the top guys.

Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro have won, only guy besides these in prospect is Raonic, young enough with huge game and still can get a lot better.

What do you guys think?

cc0509 10-06-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tistrapukcipeht (Post 6939005)
I don't see anybody else besides him, no one else has enough game at a relatively comfort level (big serve gets it done) to beat the top guys.

Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro have won, only guy besides these in prospect is Raonic, young enough with huge game and still can get a lot better.

What do you guys think?

Out of the younger guys nobody else is even close to Milos' chances. He is the only one who has the potential to win a slam in the future.

The Bawss 10-06-2012 08:33 AM

Just becausey he beat LOLrray doesn't mean he is going to break through. Bogomolov and Young beat LOLrray too, are they about to break through?

TheF1Bob 10-06-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 6939060)
Just becausey he beat LOLrray doesn't mean he is going to break through. Bogomolov and Young beat LOLrray too, are they about to break through?

Don't diss the future man.

cc0509 10-06-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

There is no comparison bewteen Raonic and guys like Bogomolov and Young. I'll tell you why a guy like Raonic is going to break through, he has the drive to do so, you can see it a mile away. Very few players have that drive. That will make the difference for Milos. Book it.

Evan77 10-06-2012 08:40 AM

I'd say easy, easy. It's too early. Rao needs to improve dramatically many aspects of his game in order to win a major. not even close. let's see if he can win a master or a 500 event first before we talk about slams.

cc0509 10-06-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan77 (Post 6939077)
I'd say easy, easy. It's too early. Rao needs to improve dramatically many aspects of his game in order to win a major. not even close. let's see if he can win a master or a 500 event first before we talk about slams.

I agree he has a long way to go to win a slam but he is the only one with potential to do so out of the young guns. The rest are a pack of losers imo, guys like Tomic, Young, Dimitrov, etc. Those guys either don't have enough talent or if the have the talent they don't have the mental component necessary to be at the top. Milos has both potentially. A few weeks ago, I was saying he had terrible movement, a terrible return of serve and a mediocre backhand. If you watched the match against Murray yesterday, you could plainly see that Milos has dramatically improved his backhand, ROS and net game. That shows that he is very driven to succeed and that is what will make the difference for him.

Now he has to go out there and continue to beat top players and win, that is the key. Up until now, he has not been able to do that, he will win an important match or two and then fold in the next, but he is learning so hopefully that will change soon. I just see a huge drive in him that I don't see in any of the other players below the top four.

Evan77 10-06-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc0509 (Post 6939086)
I agree he has a long way to go to win a slam but he is the only one with potential to do so out of the young guns. The rest are a pack of losers imo, guys like Tomic, Young, Dimitrov, etc. Those guys either don't have enough talent or if the have the talent they don't have the mental component necessary to be at the top. Milos has both potentially. A few weeks ago, I was saying he had terrible movement, a terrible return of serve and a mediocre backhand. If you watched the match against Murray yesterday, you could plainly see that Milos has dramatically improved his backhand, ROS and net game. That shows that he is very driven to succeed and that is what will make the difference for him.

Now he has to go out there and continue to beat top players and win, that is the key. Up until now, he has not been able to do that, he will win an important match or two and then fold in the next, but he is learning so hopefully that will change soon. I just see a huge drive in him that I don't see in any of the other players below the top four.

yes, he seems to be the strongest one in 'the youngsters category' for sure, and he is very driven, no question there. However, I'm just being couscous here, don't want to hype him too much, not yet.

Mainad 10-06-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Murray has lost to a lot of guys when unfocussed and unmotivated eg. Young and Bogomolov. Those 2 guys only did it the once. They've been blasted off the court in all their subsequent encounters with him.

Raonic, on the other hand, has now beaten Murray twice and yesterday's match was a down the wire thriller against a guy who, although a bit more error prone than usual, was highly motivated to win the tournament and defend his title. Raonic fought back against a break down in the final set and 2 match points at 5-6. It was his willpower and nerve that saw him through when every other lesser ranked player woulld have shut up shop at that point. Clearly he is highly motivated to win against even the very top players and this suggests he has the ambition and game to take it all the way. Only time will tell if he succeeds but he seems to have every chance to do so.

kishnabe 10-06-2012 09:10 AM

If aby of the HC slams are as fast as Tokyo. Then I can see it.

For now Tsonga is the next guy....he is in his Prime years...something got to happen.

Raonic has 4 years to make his mark.

Russeljones 10-06-2012 09:12 AM

You are saying this after one win vs Murray?

sigh..

cc0509 10-06-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 6939105)
Murray has lost to a lot of guys when unfocussed and unmotivated eg. Young and Bogomolov. Those 2 guys only did it the once. They've been blasted off the court in all their subsequent encounters with him.

Raonic, on the other hand, has now beaten Murray twice and yesterday's match was a down the wire thriller against a guy who, although a bit more error prone than usual, was highly motivated to win the tournament and defend his title. Raonic fought back against a break down in the final set and 2 match points at 5-6. It was his willpower and nerve that saw him through when every other lesser ranked player woulld have shut up shop at that point. Clearly he is highly motivated to win against even the very top players and this suggests he has the ambition and game to take it all the way. Only time will tell if he succeeds but he seems to have every chance to do so.

That is exactly how I see it. When you see that type of drive which is so rare today and only the very top players have it, that is the biggest indicator of future success imo.

Also, I recently saw an interview with Milos' mother and she was talking about how motivated her son was even when he was a young kid. He would be the one to pester his parents all the time to go out and practise. A person either has that type of drive to succeed or they don't . It can't be manufactured.

Mainad 10-06-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan77 (Post 6939077)

Bear in mind that Del Potro won a Slam without ever winning a Masters title so it's not impossible that Raonic could do the same but I agree he needs to have a strong showing in the lead up events. He has an excellent chance to take his first 500 title in Tokyo tomorrow which will be a good start for him.

NadalDramaQueen 10-06-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 6939112)

sigh..

After his second win vs. Murray in addition to giving Fed nearly all he could handle multiple times. Not to mention that he is clearly the best of the young generation right now.

Say what you want about his game, but at least he isn't bending over for the top four before he even steps onto the court. Stranger things have happened.

underground 10-06-2012 09:35 AM

Raonic is doing good in the normal events, beaten LOLrray twice and manage to take a set off the GOAT each time they played (twice to a final set TB). But needs to do something with Bo5 matches.

RF20Lennon 10-06-2012 09:37 AM

Im not sure if he can get through DONALD YOUNG!!

tennis_pro 10-06-2012 09:38 AM

Yep, I agree.

Raonic for the 2017 US Open!

RF20Lennon 10-06-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 6939166)
Yep, I agree.

Raonic for the 2017 US Open!

TRUE THAT!!

dangalak 10-06-2012 09:55 AM

Raonic, still overrated.

But I got to hand it to him, he has good volleys and he doesn't engage in meaningless rallies. He drills a forehand in either corner and comes forward, like he should be.

AnotherTennisProdigy 10-06-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 6939112)

sigh..

Second, actually.