Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who is more likely to reach 8...Nadal or Federer? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442249)

Mike Sams 10-06-2012 02:56 PM

Who is more likely to reach 8...Nadal or Federer?

In 2013, Nadal is going for an 8th French Open. That same year, Federer will be gunning for an 8th Wimbledon.
Unless Nadal returns to the sport at less than his best, he is likely to take the French Open in 2013. Federer on the other hand may look to peak for Wimbledon. I think it's more likely that Nadal can get that 8th French Open crown unless Djokovic 2.0 emerges once again.
Which one would be more impressive to you? Nadal taking an 8th French or Federer taking an 8th Wimbledon?

kaku 10-06-2012 02:58 PM

Nadal.

8RolandGarros'

Mike Sams 10-06-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaku (Post 6939719)
Nadal.

8RolandGarros'

agreed. I think Nadal

NadalAgassi 10-06-2012 02:59 PM

Nadal will win the French unless his body has totally broken down or he has retired. Federer isnt the odds on favorite to win any slam at this stage of his career. Murray, a healthy Nadal, and even Djokovic are threats to win Wimbledon next year, and even Tsonga, Berdych, and possibly Del Potro can take Federer out on a given day, even if they perhaps cant win the title themselves.

Nadal is the more likely by a good margin.

As for more impressive both would be equally impressive, but Nadal's dominance on clay is a whole other level to Federer's on grass in general.

kishnabe 10-06-2012 03:00 PM

*** has a thread on this.

Nadal is winning the poll there.

The Bawss 10-06-2012 03:17 PM

Roger will not make 8.

OverratedIvanovic 10-06-2012 04:56 PM

Nadal winning RG is more likely but I think he will be seriously challenged by Djokovic in 2013. Nadal was scary good in RG 2012 and although Djokovic was way off, he almost managed to take Nadal to 5th (no, don't give me that soaked court crap in 3rd set :roll:). If you watch the match closely again, had it not been for Djoker double faults on bps (he lost 3-4 of his service games due to double faults on break points), match could have gone anywhere.

If Nadal's level dips even slightly than 2012 which I expect to, Djokovic may capitalise and this time there will be no pressure of going for 4 slams in a row.

Cup8489 10-06-2012 05:15 PM

Head=rafa
Heart= fed

BigServer1 10-06-2012 05:16 PM

Nadal for sure. He's still a lock at the French, even if it was the only tournament he played all year.

Clarky21 10-06-2012 05:44 PM

Fed.

10Feds

Evan77 10-06-2012 06:04 PM

both would be very impressive but I give a slight edge to Nadal. 8 RG would be absolutely amazing (it is also more likely imho).
Same with Fed, I'm just not sure that he'll have what it takes to win another W

Clarky21 10-06-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverratedIvanovic (Post 6939804)
Nadal winning RG is more likely but I think he will be seriously challenged by Djokovic in 2013. Nadal was scary good in RG 2012 and although Djokovic was way off, he almost managed to take Nadal to 5th (no, don't give me that soaked court crap in 3rd set :roll:). If you watch the match closely again, had it not been for Djoker double faults on bps (he lost 3-4 of his service games due to double faults on break points), match could have gone anywhere.

If Nadal's level dips even slightly than 2012 which I expect to, Djokovic may capitalise and this time there will be no pressure of going for 4 slams in a row.

Why? It's the truth. If it had been sunny and dry that match would have been over in straights.

And I could also say the same thing about Nadal last year when it seemed he was incapable of playing well on the big points at all. His level dropped significantly in 2011 from what it was in 2010. I know you will probably deny that,but sorry,it did.

Evan77 10-06-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6939852)
Fed.

10Feds

Clarky, Clarky, what kinda a Rafa fan are you girlfriend? Shame on you for voting for Fed :-P

10 Sexy Radek chairs

TheCheese 10-06-2012 06:26 PM

Clay is a much harder surface to be upset on. Definitely advantage Nadal.

Clarky21 10-06-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan77 (Post 6939889)
Clarky, Clarky, what kinda a Rafa fan are you girlfriend? Shame on you for voting for Fed :-P

10 Sexy Radek chairs

A realistic one. Nadal will never win another slam. I also think he will drop to number 5 next year,if not further. He's terminado.

And what's with the Fed fans in this thread? Why no faith in your dude? He's got a great shot at winning Wimby next year.

Evan77 10-06-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6939897)
A realistic one. Nadal will never win another slam. I also think he will drop to number 5 next year,if not further. He's terminado.

And what's with the Fed fans in this thread? Why no faith in your dude? He's got a great shot at winning Wimby next year.

I'm a big fan of you (not Fed), as you know already. Yes, I do like ****'s hair and Mandy's teeth. I can't help it :).

VPhuc tennis fan 10-06-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6939897)

Nah, my vote: Rafa for the next 10 if not 20 FO titles, or until they get so tired of him winning then change to blue clay.

Mike Sams 10-06-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6939886)
Why? It's the truth. If it had been sunny and dry that match would have been over in straights.

And I could also say the same thing about Nadal last year when it seemed he was incapable of playing well on the big points at all. His level dropped significantly in 2011 from what it was in 2010. I know you will probably deny that,but sorry,it did.

Nadal 2010 never ran into anything like the juggernaut known as Djokovic 2.0...
Nobody saw that version of Djokovic coming in 2011...
You can't fault Nadal for not having any answers for such a formidable challenge.

Hood_Man 10-06-2012 07:35 PM

Hmm, with Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid and Rome we'll have plenty of opportunity to see how Nadal will be looking on clay next year. If he does well on those, then he's more likely to take #8.

Federer at Wimbledon is harder to say, there's only Halle to give us any indication, and even then the field is split between there and Queens.

At Wimbledon we've had 3 different winners in 3 years, and now that two-time Queen's winner Murray has also been a finalist (and arguably the most competitive runner up since Roddick in 2009), and has of course finally broken the Major barrier too, I think it's only a matter of time before he picks up the trophy himself. Sooner, rather than later.

OverratedIvanovic 10-06-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

It was never sunny and dry to begin with. It was raining from Set 1. They even halted the play in 2nd set for some mins due to rain. Are you telling me the court became soaked all of a sudden in 3rd set after Nadal led 2-0? The truth however is Djokovic started unloading on his shots in Set 3. I mean comeon, he got 8 straight games off Nadal on his freaking best surface clay. No one has managed to do that. Watch the highlights again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUJTCtV-SM Even it was as dry and sunny, it wouldn't have been a straight set affair. Both the guys are way too competitive to lose in a straight setter in a final.

And how amusing you defend Rafa in one post and bash him in the very next post saying he won't win another slam :roll:

Quote:

I don't deny your points about Rafa's form in 2011