Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Re-tacky-ing leather grip ?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442267)

anirut 10-06-2012 06:46 PM

Re-tacky-ing leather grip ??

Is there a way I (we?) can make the leather grip tacky again?

Mine has become very slippery after re-gripping my racket a few times using the same leather, and the grip is new. I removed it to make adjustments to the over-lap twice and adjustments to the butt-end - twice, I think - and since then it became so smooth and slippery.

Any suggestions? I play with leather and no over-grip.

BTW, for more info, grip is Gamma leather, brand new. Haven't played yet and it has already become very smooth and slippery.

mikeler 10-06-2012 07:04 PM

If you can't buy a new leather replacement grip, I'm not sure what to tell you.

anirut 10-06-2012 07:26 PM

HAHA ... I have new, in-the-pack grips available, but I don't wanna waste the one installed as I have not played with it once.

Anyhow, I probably have to experiment with something ...

mad dog1 10-06-2012 07:56 PM

applying some castor oil to it restores the tack.

esgee48 10-06-2012 08:24 PM

If you ever restored an old baseball or softball mitt, there's a dressing that you can get to restore the leather. Sporting goods stores normally carry this stuff next to their mitts or bats. Since the grip is new, applying a very small amount (2-3 drops) may help restore the feel.

I've never tried castor oil, but have tried vegetable oil. Seems to work, but turned slightly rancid from sweat. Wondered about using linseed oil.

mad dog1 10-06-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 6940005)
If you ever restored an old baseball or softball mitt, there's a dressing that you can get to restore the leather. Sporting goods stores normally carry this stuff next to their mitts or bats. Since the grip is new, applying a very small amount (2-3 drops) may help restore the feel.

I've never tried castor oil, but have tried vegetable oil. Seems to work, but turned slightly rancid from sweat. Wondered about using linseed oil.

this recommendation comes specifically from the instructions that come w/ the Balmforth Fairway grips. after cleaning, apply castor oil to the leather grip to restore tack. since this is a new grip, anuirut needs only apply castor oil.

anirut 10-06-2012 11:45 PM

Thanks, all, for the knowledge.

Ummmm .... now .... begins my hunt for castor oil.

Any "specifics" for the castor oil to be used?

TIA.

Chotobaka 10-07-2012 08:23 AM

Since you already have replacement grips, there is nothing to lose by trying a little mad-scientist stuff. I would try roughing up the surface with sandpaper (creating a fresher surface) and using something like linseed oil (use for breaking in and keeping baseball mits supple). You could go so far as to use a little pine tar -- I don't think you can get more tack than that.

anirut 10-07-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6940736)
Since you already have replacement grips, there is nothing to lose by trying a little mad-scientist stuff. I would try roughing up the surface with sandpaper (creating a fresher surface) and using something like linseed oil (use for breaking in and keeping baseball mits supple). You could go so far as to use a little pine tar -- I don't think you can get more tack than that.

Yeah, I've thought of using fine-grit sandpaper too! Planned on trying that on some old leather to see how things work.

mad dog1 10-07-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anirut (Post 6940206)
Thanks, all, for the knowledge.

Ummmm .... now .... begins my hunt for castor oil.

Any "specifics" for the castor oil to be used?

TIA.

i got my bottle of castor oil from walmart, but i've seen it at supermarkets like sprouts and whole foods. you can generally find it in the pharmacy section.

OHBH 10-07-2012 12:54 PM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6931489

Plenty of goods threads about this already, but I think this is the best example, just look at the instructions in the photo

Plenty of goods threads about this already, but I think this is the best example

anirut 10-07-2012 04:32 PM

Thanks, mad dog1 & OHBH. Those are great info.

paul_tennis 11-25-2012 01:02 PM

It's supposed that denatured alcohol is the same as ethanol for cleaning leather grips?

corners 11-25-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_tennis (Post 7032264)
It's supposed that denatured alcohol is the same as ethanol for cleaning leather grips?

Denatured alcohol is just ethanol with a poison added so we don't skip the liquor store.