Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Toni Nadal out of touch with tennis reality (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442273)

timnz 10-06-2012 09:59 PM

Toni Nadal out of touch with tennis reality
 
I respect Toni, but the following recent quote shows that hre hasnt been in touch with tennis trends of the last 10 to 20 years



"This sentence does not bother me. It’s the truth. Federer is better than Nadal and the titles say this. It's also true that we play on a circuit that is in his favor, made ​​of tournaments that are held on super fast courts. But the debate on who is the best in the history of the sport should not be done with Rafa but with Rod Laver, who was unable to play for several years and we all know he could have won more titles. Regarding the matches, Rafa is winning the matches played against Federer but for me it does not matter that much, for example, Davydenko has a favorable record but we all agree that Rafa is better than the Russian."

From: http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Toni-N...icolo6328.html

The fact is that we dont have fast court tennis anywhere anymore. We only have slow court tennis (first half of the year) and medium paced tennis - second half of the year. Not sure what planet toni is speaking from here - doesnt he see that tennis has been slowed down incredibly?

A great coach, but this is strange.

TheFifthSet 10-06-2012 10:02 PM

There's maybe two or three "super fast" courts on the entire tour. Right now I can only think of Cincy and Dubai among courts both Fed and Nadal play on.

tusharlovesrafa 10-06-2012 10:03 PM

Calm before the storm,wait till the ****s jump in and derail your thread.

NadalDramaQueen 10-06-2012 10:05 PM

It is strange. I really have no idea what to make of any of the statements issued by anyone from the Nadal camp lately. Some of them don't make sense, others don't seem to be saying much of anything at all.

Hopefully, once Rafa is back all of the strangeness will end.

abmk 10-06-2012 10:06 PM

that is one delusional statement ..........

Prisoner of Birth 10-06-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 6940094)
I respect Toni, but the following recent quote shows that hre hasnt been in touch with tennis trends of the last 10 to 20 years



"This sentence does not bother me. It’s the truth. Federer is better than Nadal and the titles say this. It's also true that we play on a circuit that is in his favor, made ​​of tournaments that are held on super fast courts. But the debate on who is the best in the history of the sport should not be done with Rafa but with Rod Laver, who was unable to play for several years and we all know he could have won more titles. Regarding the matches, Rafa is winning the matches played against Federer but for me it does not matter that much, for example, Davydenko has a favorable record but we all agree that Rafa is better than the Russian."

From: http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Toni-N...icolo6328.html

The fact is that we dont have fast court tennis anywhere anymore. We only have slow court tennis (first half of the year) and medium paced tennis - second half of the year. Not sure what planet toni is speaking from here - doesnt he see that tennis has been slowed down incredibly?

A great coach, but this is strange.

Did he actually say, "Super Fast Courts" or was he misquoted again? If he did say that, he sounds worse than the worst ****.

ETA : And why would he wish Federer wasn't around? Half of why Nadal is so highly regarded is because of his success against Federer.

TheFifthSet 10-06-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 6940105)
Did he actually say, "Super Fast Courts" or was he misquoted again? If he did say that, he sounds worse than the worst ****.

Yeah, he might have been misquoted, its commonplace. But, if he wasn't that's pretty bad.

Prisoner of Birth 10-06-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFifthSet (Post 6940107)
Yeah, he might have been misquoted, its commonplace. But, if he wasn't that's pretty bad.

Yeah, I'm thinking he said, "Hard Courts" and not, "Super Fast Courts".

abmk 10-06-2012 10:23 PM

^^

Well in that case, yes ...... we need to replace the hard courts after the USO with faster, lower bouncing carpet ....:)

Prisoner of Birth 10-06-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abmk (Post 6940122)
^^

Well in that case, yes ...... we need to replace the hard courts after the USO with faster, lower bouncing carpet ....:)

I never really watched many matches played on Carpet. So if you could tell me, in what ways is it different to, let's say, Indoor Hards, which are also supposed to be Fast and low-bouncing? Are Carpets faster still?

The_Order 10-06-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abmk (Post 6940104)
that is one delusional statement ..........

Yeah you know better than him because you're touring and practicing on all these courts aren't you?

stfu and stop thinking you know everything, Toni has FAR more tennis knowledge than you ESPECIALLY in regards to the current tour.

abmk 10-06-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Order (Post 6940167)
Yeah you know better than him because you're touring and practicing on all these courts aren't you?

stfu and stop thinking you know everything, Toni has FAR more tennis knowledge than you ESPECIALLY in regards to the current tour.

jeez, clueless. If a statement is stupid, it is stupid ......

just because someone who was more knowledge than me said it, doesn't mean it can't be stupid ...

fact is your boy rafa has been tremendously lucky with the slow-down of the courts in general ... and tony is a making a totally delusional statement instead saying the courts of today are super-fast ...

plenty of players know/have played and have publicly stated about the slow down of courts/playing conditions in general ...... its not just me ....

abmk 10-06-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 6940138)
I never really watched many matches played on Carpet. So if you could tell me, in what ways is it different to, let's say, Indoor Hards, which are also supposed to be Fast and low-bouncing? Are Carpets faster still?

carpets are easier on the body than hard courts ...normally speed of carpet is pretty fast, but even that can vary .....the bounce is normally low

indoor hard courts are supposed to be fast and low bouncing, but even they've been slowed down by a bit in the past few years ...

big ted 10-06-2012 11:52 PM

i dont think its fair all the time to pick sentences apart from people who dont speak english as their first language. sometimes they dont know the right word for it. the only player ive seen today who has really been able to handle english well in interviews is federer. and this nadal interview could even be from a translation, so the translator may have used those words.

JustBob 10-07-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

...he (Toni) was invited by sponsors to talk about tennis to children.
Lying to children, that's disgusting... ;)

zagor 10-07-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFifthSet (Post 6940099)
There's maybe two or three "super fast" courts on the entire tour. Right now I can only think of Cincy and Dubai among courts both Fed and Nadal play on.

Cincy and Dubai certainly aren't super fast, they're reasonably fast but the last "super" fast court was 2006 Paris. Not to mention that while I consider Fed to very adaptable he certainly doesn't prefer super fast courts, medium, medium fast with a mid-low bounce is where he's best at.

This really makes you wonder what would Rafa and Tio Toni do if they had to play in pre 2002 conditions, say during the 90s? If this isn't misquoted, terrible display of ignorance from Toni.

Valdez737 10-07-2012 01:02 AM

hes a very smart man he know more about tennis and skill then any body in this forum

merlinpinpin 10-07-2012 01:11 AM

I kind of agree with him, conditions are super-fast today, proof being that it still is possible to hit winners, and winners are the death of tennis.

As a matter of fact, I think :) RNadal :) should ask for another change to the rules, that any outright winner be replayed. And if the player who hit that winner hits another one when the point is replayed, he should lose the point and get a one-game penalty. Three times and he's automatically defaulted. This way, we would only get 40+ strike rallies ending in UE's, the way tennis should be played by real men.

Let's hope for a mistranslation, or this is one of the silliest things said about tennis in the last 2,000 years or so... :roll:

reversef 10-07-2012 01:12 AM

I've always heard that there are slow surfaces (clay courts) and fast surfaces (hard courts, grass and carpet). This is how we categorize surfaces in my country (and probably in Spain as well). When only 4 of the biggest 14 tournaments played each year are played on the first category of surfaces, I would say that the tour gives a clear advantage to the players who prefer fast surfaces.
I know that there are different speeds, and that the current surfaces are not lightning fast, far from it. No need to come with scales and all those things to categorize the surfaces. I've seen them enough on this forum. But if there are different types of hard courts and the ones used now are not very fast, you can say the same about clay. I live in Belgium and I used to play tournaments on clay and hard courts (or sometimes carpet). Believe me, there is nothing more different from a clay court than another clay court. Maybe it's difficult to believe for some of you, but the courts of the French Open are considered very fast, very good for the attackers (they have been sped up for the first time in the nineties to give more chances to fast court players), Rome courts have always been considered the fastest clay courts on tour. But it was before Madrid got played on clay... The average clay courts are much more difficult to play for the attackers than the ones used for the Masters 1000 and the French Open.
Some of you like to only see one part of the story. Yes, the fast courts (HC, grass) may not be that fast these days. But the slow surfaces (clay) are not very slow either. Remain 10 tournaments played on fast surfaces and 4 on slow surfaces amongst the 14 biggest tournaments played each year.

reversef 10-07-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagor (Post 6940281)
Cincy and Dubai certainly aren't super fast, they're reasonably fast but the last "super" fast court was 2006 Paris. Not to mention that while I consider Fed to very adaptable he certainly doesn't prefer super fast courts, medium, medium fast with a mid-low bounce is where he's best at.

This really makes you wonder what would Rafa and Tio Toni do if they had to play in pre 2002 conditions, say during the 90s? If this isn't misquoted, terrible display of ignorance from Toni.

First of all, in those years, there was more freedom in the calendar. Nadal would probably have played a bit more on clay and he would have avoided some tournaments.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse