Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   help with doubles! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442276)

zedek 10-06-2012 11:07 PM

help with doubles!

so I know that doubles is all about the net; however, when I do play from the baseline i notice that many of my opponents like to lob it over my partner's head, giving me a deep lob. on my forehand side this isn't such a problem; however, I've been having difficulty getting good pace and depth on my backhand side because I am hitting from 5-6 feet behind baseline. then what usually happens is that the net guy smashes my reply. what do I do? Also, on the forehand side when this happens, should I try to smash the lob while its coming down, kinda like a serve? this seems really difficult but effective. this is so frustrating b/c when my opponents give me anything in my wheel house, I am able to put a lot of pressure on them and I actually win more points with my groundstrokes, but it's these pusher lobs that are really destroying us.:mad:

Dreamcastin 10-06-2012 11:53 PM

to start with your last point, yes learning to kill these smashes from the baseline is the key, no reason for your opponents to stop doing it when you said yourself its "working". while your learning and getting a feel for this shot, I always felt a "slice serve" type shot is the easiest way to safely hit this shot and still be on the offensive. I still hit this type from time to time if im not feeling confident or slightly off on a particular day.

anticipating the lob to the backhand side and getting around it to hit a smash or at least a forehand should be the goal. Other than that, all you can do is work on your backhand. If you have a good slice or topspin, you could hit it low to the net guy. He cant play to close to the net or you would easily lob him, so that low shot you hit will likely set up a tough volley for him. If your parnter at the net knows what hes doing, hell be ready to cut off the volley that will have to be hit up and set up an easy volley for him.

SystemicAnomaly 10-07-2012 08:12 AM

Why are you playing 5-6 feet behind the baseline? While some may play that deep for singles, it might not be the best positioning for doubs. Playing that deep would probably make it more difficult to play short x-court shots to your alley. If you are not going to come to the net, at least get yourself up to the baseline.

If the lobs are still a problem, then have your net guy play a bit more off the net on the troublesome side to discourage lobs. How close is your partner currently playing the net? He should not be closer than the middle of the box (except to attack a ball at the net).

5263 10-07-2012 10:28 AM

simple answer is you probably need to lob back until you improve some skills to
deal with this.
No shame in the lob and hopefully you see what a great tactic it can be with
smart use.
Don't call smart lobs pushing imo.

LeeD 10-07-2012 10:32 AM

High backhand volley, sliced low and to the backcourt player, your partner sliding over to where you were, and you approaching the net off your hard slice DTL approach high backhand volley.
Vary your serve so returner can't tune in on his lob.

BabolatTennis9 10-22-2012 04:14 PM

move the guy thats ganna lob you up to net cause lobbing is much harder up at net