Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Golden Set Opinions - Snake Bite, Power Cord & Velvet (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442278)

mr33 10-06-2012 11:25 PM

Golden Set Opinions - Snake Bite, Power Cord & Velvet
 
Hi All,

Soon I will be investing in a stringer and have recently been browsing through Golden Set Tennis strings. If you have tried either Snake Bite, Power Cord or Velvet I have a few questions for you:

1. Would you recommend them?
2. Whats the difference in feel between Power Cord and Velvet?
3. How does Snake Bite compare to against other spin generating strings?

Thanks

mr33 10-09-2012 12:26 AM

*Bump

No opinions, reviews or criticism?

Bowtiesarecool 10-09-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr33 (Post 6940183)
Hi All,

Soon I will be investing in a stringer and have recently been browsing through Golden Set Tennis strings. If you have tried either Snake Bite, Power Cord or Velvet I have a few questions for you:

1. Would you recommend them?
2. Whats the difference in feel between Power Cord and Velvet?
3. How does Snake Bite compare to against other spin generating strings?

Thanks

I play with a group of 20-30 people, (3.0-4.0) and almost all of them love snakebite, ( The one guy in our group who strings for them uses it. ). I played with it in my first racquet, (O3 white) and find it compares very well with msv focus hex. It's certainly worth the price of a reel if you know you may end up stringing for other people.

mr33 10-09-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowtiesarecool (Post 6943681)
I play with a group of 20-30 people, (3.0-4.0) and almost all of them love snakebite, ( The one guy in our group who strings for them uses it. ). I played with it in my first racquet, (O3 white) and find it compares very well with msv focus hex. It's certainly worth the price of a reel if you know you may end up stringing for other people.

Snake Bite is definatly of interest to me! Im glad you liked it, your post has pretty much sealed the deal for Snake Bite.

Thanks for the reply!

Karstic 10-09-2012 02:47 AM

I'm relatively new to co-polys, having just returned to the game a couple of years ago, but I've been trying a bunch of them this year. I'm looking for something relatively cheap that I can afford to restring every week without breaking the bank. I bought a few sets of Snake-Bite in 16 and 17 gauge, but so far I've only tried it in one of my older racquets, a K-factor 95. I liked it very much and am looking forward to trying it in my Prostaff 90, but I will probably settle on Tourna's BHSR or BHBR as my main string. They seem a bit more crisp, which is what I prefer. I suggest trying them yourself.

coolblue123 10-09-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr33 (Post 6940183)
Hi All,

Soon I will be investing in a stringer and have recently been browsing through Golden Set Tennis strings. If you have tried either Snake Bite, Power Cord or Velvet I have a few questions for you:

1. Would you recommend them?
2. Whats the difference in feel between Power Cord and Velvet?
3. How does Snake Bite compare to against other spin generating strings?

Thanks

1. Yes. Difference between them and Brand Name Equivalents are very similar. But you save a good chunk of money.
2. Want to try Power Cord, I heard it's similar to Black Code.
Velvet is a good co-poly. Tried it in 17g, soft, medium power and has good spin. Kept tension relatively well. But if you are a string breaker, may not be a good option. Durability is pretty much on par with other copoly's.
3. Snake Bite: Suppose to compare to RPM but I haven't tried yet.

I've been using Maximal's and alittle bit of Velvet. Maximals is really soft on the arms.

mr33 10-10-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolblue123 (Post 6943816)
Velvet is a good co-poly. Tried it in 17g, soft, medium power and has good spin. Kept tension relatively well. But if you are a string breaker, may not be a good option. Durability is pretty much on par with other copoly's.

How does the 'pop' (elasticity, connection whatever you want to call it) feel when striking the ball with velvet?

Thanks

coolblue123 10-10-2012 02:53 AM

Pop is not bad. Plays pretty firm.
I would say for some reason it reminds me of a more powerful RIP Control. or a higher end syn gut.

Sorry when I said co-poly before, I meant multi.

mr33 10-10-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolblue123 (Post 6945496)
Pop is not bad. Plays pretty firm.
I would say for some reason it reminds me of a more powerful RIP Control. or a higher end syn gut.

Sorry when I said co-poly before, I meant multi.

Cool, thanks everyone for your replies :) Really helpful!

fortun8son 10-11-2012 02:27 AM

I will be looking into Velvet 17 as a racquetball string and as a replacement for Dunlop Comfort 17.

GarryClarke 10-11-2012 08:36 AM

ive just ordered a set of the 17g white Golden Set poly off fleabay which is supposed to be the equivalent to Big Banger and Pro Hurricane,its only 4.50 with free delivery so its worth a punt plus white goes nicely in my yonex ezone 100:)

cheers garry

coolblue123 01-17-2013 05:40 AM

Want to do a bump and see if anyone has tried Snakebite yet? Want to try it in a 17g. Too bad they don't make a 18g in it.

tennisBIEST 01-17-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolblue123 (Post 7128674)
Want to do a bump and see if anyone has tried Snakebite yet? Want to try it in a 17g. Too bad they don't make a 18g in it.

I have a reel of 17g snake bite and have used it full bed and hybrid. My thoughts are that its fairly stiff and it does give off nice spin however the tension maintenance is moderate. The price is right but when using a hybrid it would be wise to use a smooth solid core syn gut because the edges of the SB will crew it up otherwise. For instance I used SB17 in the mains with PSGD18 and it was only playable for one set. No snap back and spin just died. However that one set was probably the best set I've ever played! Hope this helps!

TNIipc2731500 01-17-2013 06:54 PM

Get the snake bite, I string for my USTA team and it's one of my best selling string. I also use it to play competitive matches, I am a 4.5 player. I buy about $1500 in snake bite a year, thats how popular it is. It gives a ton of spin and it gets softer as it loses tension before becoming stiffer. Usually poly strings become stiffer.

coolblue123 06-15-2013 06:39 PM

hate to open another thread but what's the break in time for snake bite 17g? finally did a snake/sun gut 17g install @ 45/50 lbs on a bb NYC.

first hr hitting seems to be pretty stiff. does it get softer? bite is good, but for some reason, I think silver string puts out more spin so far.

brokenRPM 06-15-2013 06:41 PM

I like Hex the best. I don't know why but it's softer and spinnier than snakebite.

Carolina Racquet 06-16-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolblue123 (Post 7509769)
hate to open another thread but what's the break in time for snake bite 17g? finally did a snake/sun gut 17g install @ 45/50 lbs on a bb NYC.

first hr hitting seems to be pretty stiff. does it get softer? bite is good, but for some reason, I think silver string puts out more spin so far.

I think snakebite does loosen up some. I usually use it in a full bed around 50#.
In a hybrid, I'm not sure as i don't like them because i prefer more uniform string stiffness between the cross and mains.

o0lunatik 06-17-2013 09:59 AM

I've went through 2 reels of Snake Bite in the recent pass in all different set ups. I find that Snake Bite lost its shape rather quickly than most newer shaped polys out there. It played rather stiff and generate a good amount of spin freshly strung due to its pronounced, twisted shape. The issue with the twisted profile is that it does not have that snap back effect for generating additional spin when strung full bed. The cross restricted the main from freely moving. Once the edge wore down, then the snap back effect was minimal just due to the string losing its playability. But for the price of the reel, you can string a little more often than other high priced polys if you prefer the Snake Bite. You can definitely fine better strings for a few bucks more like BHSR OR BHBR that will five you just as similar spin with better playability.

coolblue123 06-20-2013 04:08 AM

Went through the following:
Snake Bite 17/ GS Syn Gut 17g (45/50 lbs): In the first hour hitting, strings felt pretty stiff. Afterwards, it gotten alitle softer. Really like the bite but not really used to how low powered it was (iam used to playing with multi's) After adjusting and hitting through the ball more, got some crazy skidding top spin shots. Definitely won't go full bed on this but really impressive for my first twisty poly string.
PowerCord 17g/ GS Syn Gut 17g (45/47lbs): I really like this string. Had great comfort for a poly and good power as well. I think I need to bump up the tension on my next set of PowerCord because some of the shots were sailing long for me. But was it just me or I felt some tension loss after a couple of hours of play (more than snake bite).
I have my next hitting session this weekend. Definitely bringing these two sticks and play more with it. Will post an update later.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse