Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Is Kei Nishkori proof against modern game ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442297)

Nostradamus 10-07-2012 07:37 AM

Is Kei Nishkori proof against modern game ?

Kei proved that small guy can push around and beat up big guys. He beat Berdych and Raonic to win Japan open. prototypical Big men in modern game who is supposed to dominate talented small guys like Kei was beaten and actually outpowered from the baseline.

Kei proved Small men can still win Big tournaments over prototypical big men of modern game of tennis. So are the experts wrong in saying that you have to be 6'4" and must have 130 mph serves and big time power as well as speed to win big tournaments and majors ?

The Bawss 10-07-2012 07:56 AM

Yeah, but he has nasty power for his size. All he needs is a serve to really break through.

dangalak 10-07-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 6940670)
Kei proved that small guy can push around and beat up big guys. He beat Berdych and Raonic to win Japan open. prototypical Big men in modern game who is supposed to dominate talented small guys like Kei was beaten and actually outpowered from the baseline.

Kei proved Small men can still win Big tournaments over prototypical big men of modern game of tennis. So are the experts wrong in saying that you have to be 6'4" and must have 130 mph serves and big time power as well as speed to win big tournaments and majors ?

I never understood why people said that tennis requires you to be tall. I mean why? You know that height isn't synonymous to power, right? Nishikori hits hard enough.

chrischris 10-07-2012 08:41 AM

Nishikori is proof OF the modern game. You need all the shots + the legs and the mind.

1477aces 10-07-2012 08:53 AM

What do you mean? Nishikori is the typical modern pusher like nadal and djokovic. Though nadal and djokovic are tall, the have little power and serve worse than ferrer.

ductrung3993 10-07-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1477aces (Post 6940778)
What do you mean? Nishikori is the typical modern pusher like nadal and djokovic. Though nadal and djokovic are tall, the have little power and serve worse than ferrer.

SoBad 10-07-2012 09:31 AM

He packs a lot of power in a small body.

nereis 10-07-2012 09:47 AM

Being 5'10-5'11 isn't so much a detriment so long as you are a phenomenal athlete with great hand-eye coordination who can generate more explosive power per pound than taller guys.

Case in point: Agassi, Connors, Chang, Hewitt, Ferrer, Nalbandian.

dangalak 10-07-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nereis (Post 6940840)
Being 5'10-5'11 isn't so much a detriment so long as you are a phenomenal athlete with great hand-eye coordination who can generate more explosive power per pound than taller guys.

Case in point: Agassi, Connors, Chang, Hewitt, Ferrer, Nalbandian.

Agassi wasn't a great athlete. Connors is incomparable to the modern era. Chang didn't have great power either. Neither did Hewitt. Ferrer is strong, but his shots don't have explosive power either. Nalbandian has the power to do damage, but he also isn't a great athlete.

SoBad 10-07-2012 09:54 AM

At least he doesn't do illegal performance drugs and then lie about it to the governing bodies.

smoledman 10-07-2012 12:55 PM

nishikori hits with huge power.

President 10-07-2012 01:06 PM

The modern game is more about defense than offense, look at 3 out of the top 4. Also, Nishikori's forehand is a very explosive and heavy shot and his backhand is one of the cleanest on tour.

BreakPoint 10-07-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangalak (Post 6940745)
I never understood why people said that tennis requires you to be tall. I mean why? You know that height isn't synonymous to power, right? Nishikori hits hard enough.

But it is. There's a simple reason why tall guys like Del Potro, Berdych, Soderling, Rosol, etc. can hit their groundstrokes so hard. They can generate more torque with the same swing. Torque = Force x Distance. So with the same amount of force on their swing, they can generate more torque because their arms are longer so they hit the ball further away from where the force is applied (shoulder).

And of course, no one is going to argue that all else being equal, taller players can hit their serves bigger than shorter players can due to leverage and angle (and net height).

ruerooo 10-07-2012 02:56 PM

I don't know who the "experts" are that the OP says are saying you "have" to be 6'4" to play quality tennis -- I do know that some of these same alleged experts do seem to be decrying how hard movement gets when a player gets to be about 6'5" or so.

That said, someone on one of the other threads the other day was decrying players who were "short" as "poor representatives of the game". Do people not know about Ollie Rochus?

What is Kei, 5'9" or so? He's not short.
He's always been good enough that Rafa said some years ago that he would probably be a Top Ten player some day. I really am not sure I understand all the surprise.

smoledman 10-07-2012 02:59 PM

Kei is 5'10" and super strong and fast. He's proof of the modern baseliner BUT he can do magical things around the net too.

jaggy 10-07-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoBad (Post 6940857)
At least he doesn't do illegal performance drugs and then lie about it to the governing bodies.

Or attack cities and eat their buildings

Nostradamus 10-07-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6941273)
But it is. There's a simple reason why tall guys like Del Potro, Berdych, Soderling, Rosol, etc. can hit their groundstrokes so hard. They can generate more torque with the same swing. Torque = Force x Distance. So with the same amount of force on their swing, they can generate more torque because their arms are longer so they hit the ball further away from where the force is applied (shoulder).

And of course, no one is going to argue that all else being equal, taller players can hit their serves bigger than shorter players can due to leverage and angle (and net height).

Agree, taller guys with Longer arms provide more swing speed and more power in turn. but i think Nishikori just has uncanny timing on his shots like Agassi did. and if you time the ball perfectly every time with good torque and swing speed, you can produce Huge power.
Other guys can't do that if they are small because they are not as Blessed with that kind of talent.

BreakPoint 10-07-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruerooo (Post 6941365)
What is Kei, 5'9" or so? He's not short.

5'9" or even 5'10" is indeed short for pro tennis these days. When was the last time a guy under 6 feet tall won a Slam or was ranked #1?

BreakPoint 10-07-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 6941454)
Agree, taller guys with Longer arms provide more swing speed and more power in turn. but i think Nishikori just has uncanny timing on his shots like Agassi did. and if you time the ball perfectly every time with good torque and swing speed, you can produce Huge power.
Other guys can't do that if they are small because they are not as Blessed with that kind of talent.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to hit with power if you are not tall, but it's just easier to do so if you're tall. Guys like Del Potro and Berdych don't even appear to be swinging that fast but can still generate tons of power. If you're short, it requires more precise timing and taking the ball earlier. And of course, it's much easier to blast serves if you're taller.

Nostradamus 10-07-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6941508)
I'm not saying that it's impossible to hit with power if you are not tall, but it's just easier to do so if you're tall. Guys like Del Potro and Berdych don't even appear to be swinging that fast but can still generate tons of power. If you're short, it requires more precise timing and taking the ball earlier. And of course, it's much easier to blast serves if you're taller.

Off topic but what tension does Kei string his racket at ? I like to duplicate it in hopes of playing just like Kei did in the final of Japan open.