Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dunlop black widow. Hybrid or full? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442333)

BirdDog 10-07-2012 06:33 PM

Dunlop black widow. Hybrid or full?

Is black widow soft enough to use alone, or would it be better used in a hybrid setup?

Sander001 10-08-2012 04:15 AM

It's pretty soft. I used a full bed of the 18g @ 65lbs on a 90sq" frame and it was too tight at first. After an hour or so the tension dropped and it's much better.

BHiC 10-08-2012 05:06 AM

I would say that it is soft enough to go full bed, but the durability is not great if you do that. I have found that the durability is much better when I put a synthetic in the crosses, I guess because the string will almost saw into itself otherwise.

ductrung3993 10-08-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHiC (Post 6942026)
I would say that it is soft enough to go full bed, but the durability is not great if you do that. I have found that the durability is much better when I put a synthetic in the crosses, I guess because the string will almost saw into itself otherwise.

Are there any changes in play when you hybrid? Thanks!

maxpotapov 10-08-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHiC (Post 6942026)

True, in my case Black Widow / Gosen OGSM lasted more than 14 hours and then I cut it out as I got tired of it . Playability wise this hybrid lasts up to 8 hours and then there is no more bite or power left.

BHiC 10-08-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductrung3993 (Post 6942099)
Are there any changes in play when you hybrid? Thanks!

I hybrid it with Hexy Fiber in the crosses, and I feel like it gives me a little more feel, but not quite as much spin. It is a pain to string, but plays great!

BirdDog 10-08-2012 01:03 PM

Hm. I mite try a hybrid with dunlop s-gut. It comes in pink..... how can i resist.

TroutSc 10-08-2012 02:29 PM

I just bought 2 used sticks, came with full black widow @ 58 lbs. I played with them yesterday and today had no soreness issues (elbow). I liked the way they played at full poly. I never would have tried full poly set up (had been using solinco tour bite/syn gut prior) but the black widow felt good. Ill know in a few days if it was honeymoon. this is in a volkl pb7. the full poly made it feel slightly less powered but had no issues, confident to really rip the ball, control was good.

tlm 10-08-2012 06:28 PM

If I use poly I like it in a full bed, to me that is the only way to really get the full effect of what the poly can do.

I have used hybrids with poly but to me the multi or syn. cross takes over the string beds performance to much, even though it does add comfort and control.

I want to feel the bite of full poly not a dulled down version like you get when you hybrid.