Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The meaning of "Team" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442342)

Lworthin 10-07-2012 07:08 PM

The meaning of "Team"

Many rackets have a "Team" version. I have an intuitive idea of what the word "team" means in this context, but can someone give me a solid definition, not only what it means but what it connotes?

Thanks!

Seth 10-07-2012 07:18 PM

It has always struck me as the lighter, more "user-friendly" version of other frames. Prince had the Rebel Team and Ignite Team. Wilson has the 6.1 Team.

Team might be synonymous with "Lite."

Unrelated, but the first instance of "Team" I can point to is the Babolat Pure Drive Team, which didn't have a heavier or lighter version. It was simply the Team.

Lworthin 10-07-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth (Post 6941695)
It has always struck me as the lighter, more "user-friendly" version of other frames. Prince had the Rebel Team and Ignite Team. Wilson has the 6.1 Team.

Team might be synonymous with "Lite."

Thank you. That's kind of what I was thinking, especially when reviewing prices and specs for "Team" versions. It's interesting that it has become common enough to have widely crossed company boundaries. It's also interesting to me because the word seems to be such an odd choice since there's nothing else within the word "team" that indicates "lite"!

I suppose it's a marketing choice since "lite" might scare customers away who would otherwise want to avoid the "faux disgrace" of not using what their favorite pros are using. :)

Ramon 10-07-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lworthin (Post 6941701)
Thank you. That's kind of what I was thinking, especially when reviewing prices and specs for "Team" versions. It's interesting that it has become common enough to have widely crossed company boundaries. It's also interesting to me because the word seems to be such an odd choice since there's nothing else within the word "team" that indicates "lite"!

I suppose it's a marketing choice since "lite" might scare customers away who would otherwise want to avoid the "faux disgrace" of not using what their favorite pros are using. :)

Among some circles, "Team" already has the unintended connotation of being a code word for "chick racquet". People on this forum have even posted that they wanted to remove the word "Team" from their racquet for that reason! :lol:

Seth 10-07-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lworthin (Post 6941701)

I'm with you on that point.

What's interesting to me is when you've got pros using Team versions. Before switching to the current EXO3 Rebel PJ, the Bryan brothers were using PJs of the Ignite Team. Or better yet, Querrey when he was swinging the EXO3 Tour Lite PJ.

filphil 10-07-2012 08:39 PM

Yonex also used both the lite and team terms in the EZONE Xi line of rackets.

Hi I'm Ray 10-07-2012 10:14 PM

"Team" sounds a lot better than "Lite." I think some guys might find it embarrassing to have the word "Lite" on their racket. Oddly, Babs has an Aeropro Team 10.6oz and an Aeropro Lite 9.9oz in their line up.

Lworthin 10-08-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ray (Post 6941823)
Oddly, Babs has an Aeropro Team 10.6oz and an Aeropro Lite 9.9oz in their line up.

Yeah, I noticed that in some other lines. I wonder why they didn't go with "Lite-but-not-as-Lite-as-Lite". :)

It's clear not only that some players avoid "Lite" or "Team" versions because of pride, but also that this same hubris compels some players to avoid particular models in a line because they're not as expensive.... Oooh. A little introspection reveals that I have never demoed a Lite or Team version, possibly for one of these reasons. :oops:

El Diablo 10-08-2012 04:44 AM

"team"...."pro"...."prostaff"....they are all meaningless marketing terms that have no single meaning and are applied however a particular manufacturer cares to. It's a little like "deluxe" hotel or "gourmet" deli. (Ever notice, incidentally, that the crappiest hotels and delis use those adjectives?)

Hi I'm Ray 10-08-2012 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lworthin (Post 6942008)
Yeah, I noticed that in some other lines. I wonder why they didn't go with "Lite-but-not-as-Lite-as-Lite". :)

It's clear not only that some players avoid "Lite" or "Team" versions because of pride, but also that this same hubris compels some players to avoid particular models in a line because they're not as expensive.... Oooh. A little introspection reveals that I have never demoed a Lite or Team version, possibly for one of these reasons. :oops:

Haha. I kind of avoid rackets labeled "lite" myself. I tried a few "team" rackets and other light frames which didn't have either label and surprisingly they played just fine. I use heavier rackets but some of those mid-10oz frames with SW around 315 actually played better for me than the 11oz frames with SW around 307-ish (both kinds in stock form). I don't see anything wrong with them, I just think they'd sell more frames if they lost the lite/team designation.

VikPopov 10-10-2012 03:21 AM

Team racquets are for team play i.e. doubles. These racquets are designed to be more maneuverable and are normally heavier than the "lite" version.

Sreeram 10-10-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VikPopov (Post 6945508)
Team racquets are for team play i.e. doubles. These racquets are designed to be more maneuverable and are normally heavier than the "lite" version.

Perfect, this is my understand as well.

iYangyin 10-27-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VikPopov (Post 6945508)

Eh, I could see that a little. The extra maneuverability is a big plus but also decreases the stability of the racket. Seeing that you mostly serve and volley in doubles, a stable racket would be more helpful than a lighter, faster one.

Still, I get the logic.