Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   A good story: opponent switches frames 4 times (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442345)

atatu 10-07-2012 08:45 PM

A good story: opponent switches frames 4 times
 
This happened last month. I was playing is a 4.5 tournament and my opponent (really nice guy) started off the match playing with a Babolat APD. I went up 4-1 and then he switched to a 90's era Wilson midsize FPK Ultra type frame. I won the first set 6-2, and then he switched to an 80's Wilson aluminum frame, about an 80 inch frame. Suddenly he started playing better and I went down 0-2...I was thinking that I can't believe I'm going to lose this set to a guy using a 1980s aluminum frame. Luckily, I got back on track and went up 4-2, at which point he switched to an oversized Wilson Graphite Frame, not sure what it was, but it was a Wal Mart or Sports Authority type frame. He switched back to the Babolat at the end of the match, but I won the second set 6-3, I think. Anyway, the next day I asked him about it and he just said that golfers use different clubs, so he doesn't see why tennis players shouldn't use different frames.

NLBwell 10-07-2012 08:53 PM

He seems to miss the point that golfers use different clubs for different shots.
Still, it is fun to switch frames around while playing, so if he is enjoying it, why not do it even if it doesn't lead to playing the best tennis?

corbind 10-07-2012 11:03 PM

That is ridiculous to use 4 frames in a short 2 set match! I could see doing it playing a buddy just testing and trying out different shots with different frames on the same opponent to see what works. But that's just outrageous. I feel his chances of winning plummeted when he picked up the third stick... :shock:

ricki 10-07-2012 11:26 PM

Me likes to switch too, but not between mid and os...

Cindysphinx 10-08-2012 04:29 AM

The whole thing with switching rackets is interesting.

I have had partners who have four different sticks in their bag. They spend the whole match switching rackets or bouncing the strings off their palms, attributing poor play to needing to string the racket or just having had the racket strung. Then they will yank a completely different frame out of the bag and proceed to express frustration at that one.

Me, I like to have two identical frames with identical strings and identical tensions. That way, I can focus like a laser on the real reason I lose: No footwork.

anubis 10-08-2012 06:15 AM

I only switch racquets when my grip is too sweaty, or if I need less/more tension. But all of my frames are the same make/model, so I get no benefit in that regard.

I can't stand having different brands in my racquet bag. It's taken me forever and a day just to figure out how one frame works. If I switch to a completely different racquet in the middle of a match, I feel like it would throw off my game completely.

IA-SteveB 10-08-2012 06:59 AM

Kind of funny. To each his own, I guess. If my game isn't working, it's my fault and not the racquet's. I should preface that by saying it is assumed I have chosen the right racquet for my game. :)

Mongolmike 10-08-2012 07:23 AM

That would so mess with your timing with the different racquet weights and HL v HH, and different strings at different tensions.... not mention the irregularity of one's own swings.

Put me in the camp with identical racquets, same strings, except one is strung 4 pounds heavier. Take the variables out and put the onus on the swinger.

goober 10-08-2012 08:52 AM

I played a guy that brought 4 different demo racquets to a tournament. The guy was sandbagging (self admitted) so he could take his team to 3.0 nationals. He then got a double bump to 4.0. He said he wasn't expecting to win and he was checking out new racquets because he needed a new one. Not sure why he entered a tournament though to test out demo racquets.

Funny thing is during changeovers he would tell me what he thought about each racquet and what he did or didn't like about them.:)

OrangePower 10-08-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 6941719)
This happened last month. I was playing is a 4.5 tournament and my opponent (really nice guy) started off the match playing with a Babolat APD. I went up 4-1 and then he switched to a 90's era Wilson midsize FPK Ultra type frame. I won the first set 6-2, and then he switched to an 80's Wilson aluminum frame, about an 80 inch frame. Suddenly he started playing better and I went down 0-2...I was thinking that I can't believe I'm going to lose this set to a guy using a 1980s aluminum frame. Luckily, I got back on track and went up 4-2, at which point he switched to an oversized Wilson Graphite Frame, not sure what it was, but it was a Wal Mart or Sports Authority type frame. He switched back to the Babolat at the end of the match, but I won the second set 6-3, I think. Anyway, the next day I asked him about it and he just said that golfers use different clubs, so he doesn't see why tennis players shouldn't use different frames.

You're lucky he didn't keep the progression going and switch to a 70's woodie after the 80's aluminum, 'cos he would have whipped you with that :-)

NTRPolice 10-08-2012 09:50 AM

I cant do that.

I notice an immediate difference between rackets, especially swing weight, balance and feel. I cant tell much about the weight unless its really light or really heavy.

I have a really wristy swing so I do notice swing weight and balance almost instantly.

I have multiple rackets, but all but 1 or 2 are exactly the same setup. The 1 or 2 that arnt are usually strings im "testing". All my "match rackets" are exactly the same and I rotate through them to ensure even tension loss across all of them. I feel like I can tell... so I do it. Might just be in my mine, but w/e.

slowfox 10-08-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6942264)
You're lucky he didn't keep the progression going and switch to a 70's woodie after the 80's aluminum, 'cos he would have whipped you with that :-)

I was assuming the same thing. He's going back in time thinking "Let me bring out my Kramer Staff, I was a beast with that thing.."

But wouldn't it have been awesome if he progressively switched to future racquets? "This stick hasn't been made yet for another 5 years, but where I come from it's actually an old classic."

Yes, I watch way too many sci-fi time travel movies. :neutral:

Fuji 10-08-2012 11:22 AM

LOL! I've done that before, (not as drastically of course) but still. Mostly it's just when I'm in a demoing mood, seeing what's out there. The only time I don't do it is during tournaments. I bring a pair or more of relatively matched sticks and I'm good to go. Lately it's been my Bio200s or my PDRGT+'s depending on how I'm feeling. Lazy? Bring the PD, feeling up to par? Bring the 200s! :razz:

That being said, the main reason I switch during a tournament match is that my grip gets absolutely soaked. It's no fun at all since I'm a heavy sweater in my palms so I usually trade off at every change of ends.

-Fuji

IA-SteveB 10-08-2012 11:55 AM

I can see cycling through similar racquets, but not with each one being so different and even from different decades. :)

atatu 10-08-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6942264)
You're lucky he didn't keep the progression going and switch to a 70's woodie after the 80's aluminum, 'cos he would have whipped you with that :-)

Actually when I talked to him later he told me a story about switching to a woodie and winning a match.

mmk 10-10-2012 09:06 AM

One of the guys I play brings around 10 racquets to each match, most the same brand, but all different models. If he is losing he can go through most of them. Evidently he has another couple dozen at home, and adjusts based on opponent.

jk175d 10-10-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmk (Post 6945859)
One of the guys I play brings around 10 racquets to each match, most the same brand, but all different models. If he is losing he can go through most of them. Evidently he has another couple dozen at home, and adjusts based on opponent.

that's called denial! :) That's like the golfer constantly changing his putter instead of working on his putting.

Maui19 10-10-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 6941719)
Anyway, the next day I asked him about it and he just said that golfers use different clubs, so he doesn't see why tennis players shouldn't use different frames.

That doesn't make any sense. Golfers use different clubs to control distance. Each club hits the ball a specific distance. They also use a different club on each shot. Not a valid comparison at all.

OrangePower 10-10-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maui19 (Post 6946402)
That doesn't make any sense. Golfers use different clubs to control distance. Each club hits the ball a specific distance. They also use a different club on each shot. Not a valid comparison at all.

Hey, what if you're a serve and volleyer and you use a different racquet for service games vs return games?

One can argue that one racquet could be optimal for serving and making volleys, and another more suited to returning and baseline play. Different racquets for different shots, no? :-)

floridatennisdude 10-10-2012 04:15 PM

It takes extra skill to be able to adapt your swings to a different weight of racquet on the fly.

The only people I've ever seen change to different frames during matches are usually getting a beat down and they're looking for something to blame.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse