Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   One-handed Backhand? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442346)

johnchung907 10-07-2012 07:53 PM

One-handed Backhand?

Question... should I add the one handed backhand to my arsenal? I have a great fast 2 handed backhand that goes low over the net and really consistent. If I added the one handed backhand I know it would give me more reach but to do you think it's worth the trouble to learn it?

5263 10-07-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnchung907 (Post 6941722)
Question... should I add the one handed backhand to my arsenal? I have a great fast 2 handed backhand that goes low over the net and really consistent. If I added the one handed backhand I know it would give me more reach but to do you think it's worth the trouble to learn it?

No, but
I don't think your shot going low over the net makes it such a good thing, unless
3.5 or something.

NLBwell 10-07-2012 08:19 PM

A one-handed slice backhand would be useful. No reason to have both a one-handed and a two-handed backhand drive.

slowfox 10-08-2012 08:51 AM

Unless your name is Tsonga...

RF20Lennon 10-08-2012 08:52 AM

Slice is enough

rkelley 10-08-2012 09:22 AM

As others have said:

Stick with one or the other for your drive/ts backhand. The motions and mechanics of the two shots are fairly different. Using both a 2hbh and a 1hbh is not something I see much in the pros (Tsonga being the exception I can think of – but does it really help him?).

A 2hbh can work on wide shots. Most folks need to learn to the footwork to hit them (I know I have), it just doesn’t happen. There are times you’ll be forced to hit open stance in order to defend the corners. The wide shots are admittedly harder with a two hander, but that’s balanced by its other advantages. A one hander has different tradeoffs. Pick your poison and then go with it.

Low over the net is generally not what you’re after for your drive/ts shot. You want to get some ts on the shot just like on the fh to give yourself margin and to give your ball action on the other side. Also, if you’re able to keep it in without ts then there’s likely room for you to add pace to the shot.

I think players with a 2hbh should add a one handed slice – especially important to deal with short, low balls and for approaches.

LeeD 10-08-2012 11:37 AM

As said above, you need the 1hbh slice for low balls, approach shots, and especially for really wide reaching fetches, where a 2hbh just doesn't have the reach, and for change of place, something that works really well at any level.
Try to hit that slice with the same grip as your normal 2hbh strong hand, usually continental.

ATP100 10-08-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 6941735)
No, but
I don't think your shot going low over the net makes it such a good thing, unless
3.5 or something

You are either very young, younger than 30,(which is young for a CAREER tennis coach) or you weren't thinking.

LeeD 10-08-2012 11:48 AM

Consisent low works fine if you take advantage of the extra angles it allows to pull the opponent off the court. Great for passing shots too.
Low is only not good if you hit up the middle constantly.

Coach Chad 10-11-2012 04:49 PM

A one-handed backhand slice is a very good weapon to have...keep it should you decide to go two handed.

LeeD 10-11-2012 05:17 PM

How many times have we watched Federer or Haas completely neutralize the point with the 1hbh slice.
Nadal uses it, so does Joker, and what of last year's Isner vs Querrey match, where Querrey's 1hbh slice totally neutralized the point?
Why hit it? It's easy, safe, takes no energy, is a change of pace.

Long Face 10-11-2012 05:25 PM

The world is complicated enough. For backhand strokes, you should stick with the one style that you feel most comfortable with.

Doing both = fail in both.

LeeD 10-11-2012 05:46 PM

Yes, Nadal, failure.
Joker, failure.
Federer, failure.
And Haas, he has no chance to play better than 5.0 doubles, does he?
Even the Jimbo used a 2hbh slice.