Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wilson will shut down Vortex (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442351)

The Dark Knight 10-07-2012 09:49 PM

Wilson will shut down Vortex

Wilson Goes For More Spin With Steam Rackets

Written by: Staff on 21st September 2012

Wilson has announced what it calls the newest in tennis racket technology for 2013 with the launch of Spin Effect Technology, its patent-pending racket technology that its said to dramatically increase spin. It is said to be the first racket system enabling players to add over 200 RPMs on their shots without needing to change their swing. Two rackets, the Steam 99S and Steam 105S, feature Spin Effect Technology and will debut in January 2013.

“This racket design is a significant breakthrough,” said Jon Muir, general manager for Wilson . “Our R&D and Product teams spent significant time testing, analyzing technologies and developing different racket designs that enhance spin and playability. We have something really special in the Steam 99S and Steam 105S. In the end, players will see their degree of spin increase. It is essentially the same as lowering the net by two inches and extending the court by a foot. The bottom line is that more shots make it over the net and stay in play.”

Wilson investigated the correlation between string pattern, racket design and spin and discovered that fewer cross strings were a key driver of maximizing string movement along with faster snapback speed to generate more spin.

John Lyons, Global Products Director for Wilson noticed that players don’t want to shorten their swing, but still want increased spin, so Wilson went for a complete racket redesign.  The Steam is said to be the first racket that provides up to 3.3 times more string movement and 69 percent faster snap back.

Lyons added they will recommend that players using the Spin Effect Technology also use the Luxilon 4g string to get the most out of the technology. This is the string that Serena Williams switched to, at least on half her strings, earlier in 2012.

LanEvo 10-07-2012 10:01 PM

So then... I wonder how big those headsizes will be...

zapvor 10-07-2012 10:03 PM

this was posted like a week ago........

The Dark Knight 10-07-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 6941805)
this was posted like a week ago........

Really....where?

The Dark Knight 10-07-2012 10:19 PM

I counted the pattern an it's 16x15

The vortex es 100 i14 x 16

BreakPoint 10-07-2012 11:00 PM

I say - BAN IT NOW!!!

Are there no limits? What's next? A racquet that plays for you while you sit in the shade sipping an iced tea?

It's out of control. We need to go back to wood racquets and gut strings so that it's only the player himself that generates all the power and spin without all of this "technology" doing it for you. Or else how do we know who the better player REALLY is instead of just who's using the better technology/equipment? It should be YOU that's generating the spin, NOT your strings nor your racquet.

Pete.Sampras. 10-08-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6941854)
I say - BAN IT NOW!!!

Are there no limits? What's next? A racquet that plays for you while you sit in the shade sipping an iced tea?

It's out of control. We need to go back to wood racquets and gut strings so that it's only the player himself that generates all the power and spin without all of this "technology" doing it for you. Or else how do we know who the better player REALLY is instead of just who's using the better technology/equipment? It should be YOU that's generating the spin, NOT your strings nor your racquet.

I totally agree with that. It should be all about the player. Besides, the game does not need more spin that it already has...

Justin-JP 10-08-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

I say - BAN IT NOW!!!

I would hope that is tongue-in-cheek. There is nothing new about fewer crosses allowing the mains to move more freely (at the expense of some control, typically). I can imagine the only R&D Wilson spent on this was down the coffee shop thinking up the next gimmick.

uk_skippy 10-08-2012 03:06 AM

It's not like Prince already had this type of system in production about 6 months ago, and had a junior using it since before Wimbledon.

Also, can't see how less (cross) strings can be patented by Wilson unless the frame contains other technology; but then why call it part of an existing line and not a separate new line.

Regards

Paul

themitchmann 10-08-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_skippy (Post 6941943)
It's not like Prince already had this type of system in production about 6 months ago, and had a junior using it since before Wimbledon.

Good point. Also, if Wilson really believes in this "tech," why are they only releasing 2 frames with these patterns?

uk_skippy 10-08-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 6941958)
Good point. Also, if Wilson really believes in this "tech," why are they only releasing 2 frames with these patterns?

Not convinced of it yet?

I know Prince have at least 3 frames ready, plus a 'special' string for these racquets. If Wilson recommend using 4G, then players are going to rip through it quickly and then moan at the extra expense of stringing more often.

Still, shouldn't complain if I get more business from it ;-)

Regards

Paul

The Dark Knight 10-08-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin-JP (Post 6941940)
I would hope that is tongue-in-cheek. There is nothing new about fewer crosses allowing the mains to move more freely (at the expense of some control, typically). I can imagine the only R&D Wilson spent on this was down the coffee shop thinking up the next gimmick.

Your right ....the racquet is actually modeled after the woodforde racquet .

He used a snauwert hi ten and then Wilson took it over as well way back then.

Nothing revolutionary here.

The Dark Knight 10-08-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_skippy (Post 6941995)
Not convinced of it yet?

I know Prince have at least 3 frames ready, plus a 'special' string for these racquets. If Wilson recommend using 4G, then players are going to rip through it quickly and then moan at the extra expense of stringing more often.

Still, shouldn't complain if I get more business from it ;-)

Regards

Paul

Omg prince as well????

I'm going to have to change my quote. The vortex secret is out now. My secret is over and my friends will now beat me. :-(

I wonder what will happen to vortex ? I don't see how they will compete with Wilson and prince ?

The only thing Vortex has going for them is that they have an even more open string pattern at 14x16. Also the string pattern is in the shape of a "V".

It truly does make quite a difference .

Maybe now that Wilson and Prince have copied the Vortex technology maybe more people will be accepting of Vortex? But I doubt anyone is going to choose Vortex over Wilson or prince.

Vortex does have a jump start because it has more models......but if you want a sneak peak at the Wilson or prince try a vortex.......I absolutely love this technology .

I have tried almost all of them. My favorite is the tour 100.....

But here's a quick rundown of the different models inhabe tried:

Es 100....thick beamed all around racquet . Its a babolat APD plus on steroids

Es 105- same as the 100 but with more spin

Es 116- doubles stick. Chip am charge baby

Es 133- a far better big bubba. Fun to hit with . Could not stop laughing .

Tour 95- the same as a Kblade or donnay pro on just better in every way.'

Tour 100- my racquet of choice. Just a bit more power than the tour 95.

Rock Strongo 10-08-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

I say - BAN IT NOW!!!

I should remind you of the Snauwaert Hi-Ten of the 80's.

The Dark Knight 10-08-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_skippy (Post 6941943)

Also, can't see how less (cross) strings can be patented by Wilson unless the frame contains other technology; but then why call it part of an existing line and not a separate new line.

Regards

Paul

I agree and I don't know how Vortex patented its pattern either . They claim the pattern is "V" shaped??? But I don't see how you can patent that either ?

I think the reality is you can patent anything . The patent office is more than happy to take your money and patent anything .

However if the patent is challenged then you have a problem. Wilson basically has copied Vortex and I don't think Vortex can do anything about it . If vortex sues Wilson then wilson will defend itself by saying that Vortex created nothing unique and the racquet should never have been patented in the first place.

R.I.P. Vortex. :-(

SFrazeur 10-08-2012 06:19 AM

I agree! Let's retroactively BAN all late '70s and '80s Prince racquets with 14x18 string patterns! YEAH!

Oh wait. . . that would be stupid.

-SF

Chotobaka 10-08-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Strongo (Post 6942031)
I should remind you of the Snauwaert Hi-Ten of the 80's.

Thank you. Ninja'd me, but thanks nonetheless. Knowledge of racquet history and perspective is sadly lacking in these parts.

Power Player 10-08-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

I say - BAN IT NOW!!!

This is a joke right?

As stated, Prince sticks were like this back in the 80s and 90s. Honestly, I dont see a major advantage to patterns that open anyway. If you like blazing through strings every 2 days then enjoy. Personally I dont see the need for that much spin since I am happy with what I get now.

Larrysümmers 10-08-2012 08:06 AM

this is exactly what Fed needs to get back to his supreme championship form.

Ronaldo 10-08-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanEvo (Post 6941800)
So then... I wonder how big those headsizes will be...

99 and 105 inches?