Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Head YOUTEK IG Extreme Pro 2.0 - WOW. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442376)

Bmr 10-08-2012 07:51 AM

Head YOUTEK IG Extreme Pro 2.0 - WOW.

Hey all,

After using the Prince SPB for a few years and having mixed results with the Wilson Juice, (liked it at first, but realized it was a bit unstable when returning power shots) I decided it was time for a change. I demo-ed 4 racquets in the 315g class.

I hit with the Youtek Extreme Pro 2, Volkl Organix 8, Donnay Formula 100 and Technifibre 315 Speedflex. They are all great racquets, but this Extreme Pro 2 is quite amazing.

First, and like Carol said in her playtest review, this racquet feels fantastic right out of the gate. It is a bit heavier than i'm used to, but it is still quite head-light and has a perfect balance for me. I'm testing it out with polyester, i'm assuming a Head string, but I couldn't tell you which one.

Groundstrokes - check. So, so solid and a heavier ball to boot. This racquet is an absolute beast from the ground. Service returns, approach shots, slice..you name it and the racquet does it. The only issue i've encountered was overhitting some of the put away shots, but i've since figured it out. I can't wait to try this thing with my normal string. The topspin seemed a bit less than I normally produce, but it was probably just the strings. It was actually nicer to be able to flatten out my shots a bit. I was hitting 2hbh's with more pace than ever before.

Volleys - OMG! This is where I was most impressed with this racquet. I was hitting volleys with ease and putting them anywhere on the court I wanted. I think this was my main gripe with the SPB - I just could not get into any kind of comfort zone with this racquet at the net and it frustrated me to no end. Touch shots, also excellent. I was coming into the net just to see what this baby could do. Drop volleys, put aways, angle shots..it was all gravy.

Serves - this is where I struggled a bit for the first hour or two. I could not get into a comfort zone, but I think once I switch string and experiment a little bit it shouldn't be a problem. This racquet also had an overgrip on a 1/2 so it was a bit bigger than I was used to, and this could have impacted some of my wrist snap with the serve.

All in all, I think this is the most impressive racquet i've tried in a long time. It is also worth mentioning that it is extremely comfortable on the arm. The new technology they put in this thing really makes a difference. I still need a few more hours with this thing, but i've tried all the different Babolats, Prince, Wilsons, etc.. and this one is the most impressive of the bunch.

A_Instead 10-08-2012 08:23 AM

I agree that the new Pro 2.0 is pretty darn nice, but the 2 that I had were 340 grams (12oz) which made it a tad heavy for me when I played against big hitters. I couldnt get it around fast enough so instinct was to swing harder/faster which is a no no.
I'll continue to work on my game so I can use a racquet in that weight catagory when I play against better competion.

Bmr 10-08-2012 09:22 AM

I agree that it is definitely a bit harder to get the racquet around, but the stability and plow make it easier to absorb and redirect power shots as well.

After a few sets, you notice the heaviness of the racquet a bit more..but it has been only a minor adjustment for me so far.

cluckcluck 10-08-2012 10:46 AM

I couldn't get over the head shape, it was just too round. It looked/felt like I was swinging a frying pan. It was a deal breaker for me.

Bmr 10-08-2012 11:56 AM

The shape is a bit weird, but the thing that pushed me over the top was the volleys. The touch/feel is still there even with the polyester. More people need to playtest this thing so we can get more feedback!

Murray_fan1 10-08-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6942527)
I couldn't get over the head shape, it was just too round. It looked/felt like I was swinging a frying pan. It was a deal breaker for me.

Biggest issue for me as well. The head is a little rounder than I am used to.

Bartelby 10-08-2012 06:34 PM

Its surprising how little different the round shape is when you put it up against a Babolat, for example, and how that little difference makes a great visual impact.

You can however actually get to like the shape, as I did with Yonex as well.

I still think that the Head Prestige line has the most iconic visual shape for a racquet.

JackB1 10-09-2012 06:38 PM

I tried both the Ex Pro and the Mp and found the Pro just overall too heavy. My demo came in over 12 oz with overgrip and felt much heavier than the spec'd swingweight of 325. However, I am now loving the MP which seems to fit my game better. Enjoy the Pro...they are both great racquets!

Down_the_line 10-09-2012 06:49 PM

Glad you loved it. I'm not surprised as this racquet is the highest rated I've seen currently on TW, coming in at 88 overall. Two classic frames - the Wilson BLX ProStaff Six.One 90 and Head Youtek IG Prestige Mid - ranked 86.

cork_screw 10-09-2012 08:13 PM

Yeah, I think the round shape of the head somehow creates more spin. I noticed that even though the speed mp had a lot of spin and top even though it's a 18x20 tight pattern, it had a very similar shape in being that it was very very roundish just like the extreme 2.0. Certain characteristics do seem to tip the racquet to certain attributes and I think the roundish shape makes for better spin production. For some reason it felt like it gave way more spin than the rad pro IG that has the same string pattern.

Bmr 10-10-2012 08:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Jack, the Donnay Formula 100 wasn't too shabby either..it was definitely in the running.

I played for another couple of hours with the Extreme Pro 2 last night and I can't think of many negatives, if any. It's just a flat out beast! Yes, it is heavier. I picked up the SPB at the end of a hitting session and it felt like a feather. However, it is not nearly as taxing on my arm as let's say Federer's racquet was. The extra weight really helps add that heft and court penetration that puts your opponent on the defense. 2HBH are way more fun now. With my Black and poly that I was using, I was creating too much spin and had a very difficult time flattening out shots - not anymore.

On Sunday, I can remember blocking a couple of hard, 100+ mph serves back and hitting winner returns. It is just a very solid feeling racquet. As some others have said, it is like a Pure Drive/Roddick with a lot better feel and cushion. The Pure Drive was much harder on my arm and gave me no confidence at the net.

YMMV - I remember playing with a couple other highly touted/rated racquets from the TW review team, but they are dead on with their assessment.

Maroon_Tenniskid 10-10-2012 11:31 AM

How Does it compare the the MG Extreme Pro? I played with that racket for a year and every time I pick it up now, it doesn't seem too heavy is the 2.0 heavier feeling?

Bmr 10-10-2012 11:54 AM

I've never wielded that stick, but they look very comparable in terms of specs.

naturallight 10-31-2012 09:47 AM

I hit with the Head YOUTEK IG Extreme MP (not the Pro) and can echo the "wow" sentiments. I'm pretty fond of my APDC but the Head seemed to offer the same spin and aerodynamics with much more stability and comfort.

I've hit with the previous version of the MP in the past and wasn't really that impressed. I'm not sure what they changed with the new version.

The totally round shape on the Head does look a bit odd.

Has anyone hit with both the MP and the Pro? Differences?

jjs891 10-31-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturallight (Post 6985983)
I hit with the Head YOUTEK IG Extreme MP (not the Pro) and can echo the "wow" sentiments. I'm pretty fond of my APDC but the Head seemed to offer the same spin and aerodynamics with much more stability and comfort.

I've hit with the previous version of the MP in the past and wasn't really that impressed. I'm not sure what they changed with the new version.

The totally round shape on the Head does look a bit odd.

Has anyone hit with both the MP and the Pro? Differences?

Spec wise, it looks like pro just has more weight in the tail. Kind of odd that they made mp with higher sw but less static wt. Is there a big difference between the two?

Anyone played with both?

jjl 10-31-2012 06:10 PM

Haven't hit the Pro but am loving the Extreme MP, better fit for me than the Pro. Was comparing the MP with the PD '12, went with the MP, had more plough through and felt more solid as well as easier on my arm, hard to explain. i like the round shape, reminds me of some of the Prince mid frames. I played some of my best tennis in the past with round shaped Head frames, so looking forward to giving the MP a shot. one of those rackets with the 'it' factor.

JackB1 10-31-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjl (Post 6986936)
Haven't hit the Pro but am loving the Extreme MP, better fit for me than the Pro. Was comparing the MP with the PD '12, went with the MP, had more plough through and felt more solid as well as easier on my arm, hard to explain. i like the round shape, reminds me of some of the Prince mid frames. I played some of my best tennis in the past with round shaped Head frames, so looking forward to giving the MP a shot. one of those rackets with the 'it' factor.

I also prefer the MP to the Pro. The lower static weight makes is easier for serves, overheads and volleys. Even though the Pro is supposed to have lower swing weight, the Pro just felt overall too heavy and sluggish for me.

Bmr 11-14-2012 07:38 PM

I just weighed my Extreme Pro on my digital scale and it was 338.1 grams strung (stock). It's 341.9 with my shock absorber. I don't know what it's going to be when I replace my grip, but the stock weight is supposed to be 332.xx. That's quite a bit of difference. I weighed my SPB racquets and they all came in a tad higher than the 320g stock weight, mostly because of the thicker grip. 342 g+ is a lot of weight and it seems heavier than the demo I used.

My Wilson Juice actually came in under the stock weight by a bit, even with an overgrip. Go figure.

For anyone with the Head series, can you weigh the racquet and let me know where it comes in? Almost 6 grams higher than stock weight seems a bit excessive to me.

scambi 11-14-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmr (Post 7017148)
I just weighed my Extreme Pro on my digital scale and it was 338.1 grams strung (stock). It's 341.9 with my shock absorber. I don't know what it's going to be when I replace my grip, but the stock weight is supposed to be 332.xx. That's quite a bit of difference. I weighed my SPB racquets and they all came in a tad higher than the 320g stock weight, mostly because of the thicker grip. 342 g+ is a lot of weight and it seems heavier than the demo I used.

My Wilson Juice actually came in under the stock weight by a bit, even with an overgrip. Go figure.

For anyone with the Head series, can you weigh the racquet and let me know where it comes in? Almost 6 grams higher than stock weight seems a bit excessive to me.

I agree with you , mine two are 334,XX and 337 but at least the same balance, anyway always a few grams more than specific values.

VeeSe 11-15-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmr (Post 7017148)

It's always like this with racquets from big companies like Wilson/Head/Babolat. I ordered two IG Radical MPs. One weighed 320g stock, one weighed 312g, and the demo at my local club weighed like 310g. If you order multiple racquets from a major company from TW and are serious about tennis, the racquet matching service is pretty much mandatory, imo.