Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Tennis Academy with Spanish for Gap Semester (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442394)

SFAlly 10-08-2012 10:36 AM

Tennis Academy with Spanish for Gap Semester
 
Pardon me if there are some threads on this topic, but it was challenging to search/find. Right now, I'm on a gap year before college and looking for spring 2013 options where I can: 1) get my game ready for the Div III college team I committed to play for next year 2) continue working towards fluency in Spanish 3) not break the bank since I'm saving what I can for college. Thanks for any ideas, experience, input!

mrmo1115 10-24-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFAlly (Post 6942509)
Pardon me if there are some threads on this topic, but it was challenging to search/find. Right now, I'm on a gap year before college and looking for spring 2013 options where I can: 1) get my game ready for the Div III college team I committed to play for next year 2) continue working towards fluency in Spanish 3) not break the bank since I'm saving what I can for college. Thanks for any ideas, experience, input!

I have a friend who is taking a gap year, going to Spain to train at an academy. Going to learn the language as well. He's going to play college tennis next year as well. I am taking a gap year and going to start my college tennis at a D3 school in the NESCAC next year.

Mitch Bridge 11-04-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFAlly (Post 6942509)
Pardon me if there are some threads on this topic, but it was challenging to search/find. Right now, I'm on a gap year before college and looking for spring 2013 options where I can: 1) get my game ready for the Div III college team I committed to play for next year 2) continue working towards fluency in Spanish 3) not break the bank since I'm saving what I can for college. Thanks for any ideas, experience, input!

Spend a semester at an academy and study Spanish on-line and/or with a tutor. Raise you game up a couple of notches, become bilingual and play as many matches as possible.

Avles 11-04-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch Bridge (Post 6993951)
Spend a semester at an academy and study Spanish on-line and/or with a tutor. Raise you game up a couple of notches, become bilingual and play as many matches as possible.

IMO it's virtually impossible to become "bilingual," and difficult to become even reasonably fluent, by studying a language online or with a tutor.

Your plan might be the best for OP's tennis game but it wouldn't do much for his language skills. It's a question of priorities I guess.

Mitch Bridge 11-04-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avles (Post 6994010)
IMO it's virtually impossible to become "bilingual," and difficult to become even reasonably fluent, by studying a language online or with a tutor.

Your plan might be the best for OP's tennis game but it wouldn't do much for his language skills. It's a question of priorities I guess.

A semester spending 5 hours a day studying Spanish would be extremely productive for his language skills. This is the only subject he would be focused on.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse