Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   hybrid tension suggestion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442472)

WhereIsMacMac 10-08-2012 09:07 PM

hybrid tension suggestion

I am looking to try a hybrid for the first time (RPM Team Mains/Xcel Crosses). Coming off from a full-bed Xcel 17 Setup at 58lbs.

At what tension should I string my mains? Suggestions?

anubis 10-09-2012 06:40 AM

What are you going for? Power? Control? What kind of racquet do you use? Figure out the recommended tension range for the racquet (it's written on the inside throat of your racquet, most likely) and use that as a guide.

since you were stringing @ 58 before, it sounds like you're going more for control than power. I'd keep your hybrid job @ the same tension: 58, see where that takes you. Its going to be tighter than full bed Xcel due to the nature of poly. You may find its too tight. If so, drop it by 2 lbs and see what happens.

if its still not tight enough, then raise it by 2 lbs. Always make 2 lb increments and avoid huge jumps.

WhereIsMacMac 10-09-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 6943949)
What are you going for? Power? Control? What kind of racquet do you use? Figure out the recommended tension range for the racquet (it's written on the inside throat of your racquet, most likely) and use that as a guide.

since you were stringing @ 58 before, it sounds like you're going more for control than power. I'd keep your hybrid job @ the same tension: 58, see where that takes you. Its going to be tighter than full bed Xcel due to the nature of poly. You may find its too tight. If so, drop it by 2 lbs and see what happens.

if its still not tight enough, then raise it by 2 lbs. Always make 2 lb increments and avoid huge jumps.

I'm using a Pure Drive, definitely looking for more control. I don't think its a good idea to string it at the same tension because I had wrist issues? I'm afraid it may be too stiff for me? What do you think? Should I string it at 56 mains, 58 crosses?

And by the way, I'm basically a baseliner with a western grip. But I don't mind rushing to the net from time to time. I hope that helps and thank you for your feedback :)

TennisCJC 10-10-2012 06:29 AM

RPM mains at 52 lbs with Excel crosses at 55 lbs. RPM poly mains at 52 will feel and play stiffer than your current Excel mains at 58 lbs. Also, I never suggest to anyone that poly be strung over 52 lbs as it is much better on your arm to string polys between 40-52 lbs in my opinion. You may want to try 50-53 if you want more power. Poly mains will reduce your power significantly. If you string poly as high as your current multi, you will have far less power and it will be like playing with a board.

WhereIsMacMac 10-10-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 6945685)
RPM mains at 52 lbs with Excel crosses at 55 lbs. RPM poly mains at 52 will feel and play stiffer than your current Excel mains at 58 lbs. Also, I never suggest to anyone that poly be strung over 52 lbs as it is much better on your arm to string polys between 40-52 lbs in my opinion. You may want to try 50-53 if you want more power. Poly mains will reduce your power significantly. If you string poly as high as your current multi, you will have far less power and it will be like playing with a board.

thank you very much for your feedback!

I've tried hitting with a full bed poly before, but that was a few weeks after I started playing tennis. Thought it was really really bad that time really. :???: but as my game develop, I'm thinking about experimenting with different setups to better match my game.