Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Curious: Tennis Racquet and golf? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442522)

DaveJTR 10-09-2012 12:11 PM

Curious: Tennis Racquet and golf?
 
Hey guys/gals. Wasn't sure if this belonged in this category. Perhaps "Odds and Ends"? But people there were talking about Atlanta Falcons, John Lennon, and cockroach infestations. So I went with "Racquets."

We all know that the top tennis players use paintjobs because of feel, familiarity, confidence, etc. But what about golfers? I used to play golf growing up and have had the privilege of meeting a lot of tour pros. It seems as though they are always looking for the next best thing.

In other words, tennis players seem to want to stick with the old equipment while the golfers want to find the newest equipment. Golf is a very intricate sport (a game of inches, if you will. More precise, to me, than tennis) so wouldn't golfers want to stick with the gear they were using growing up like the tennis players?

I'm not sure if I'm being articulate enough to get my point across, but I think you all know what I'm trying to get at. Just saw all the comments on why pro tennis players prefer paintjobs over old technology... and thought to myself... seems as though golfers would want do the same thing (given the intricacy of the sport), but they don't.

Dave M 10-09-2012 12:16 PM

odds and ends would be the place but I think there have been a couple of law suits where the companies have been made to make avaliable the stuff the pros use.

LeeD 10-09-2012 12:21 PM

Most golfers keep their short irons of old, the wedges, and maybe the higher woods, but are seeking new technology on drivers and putters.
No real gain in technology to hit the ball 150 yards (7 iron).
But huge technological advances in drivers.
Putters are a mental thing, as you know. It's about confidence, not the ability to hit hard.
Tennis, you use the ONE racket for all strokes.

veloduffer 10-09-2012 12:27 PM

The biggest factor in golf equipment is not the heads, but the shafts. So while the heads change, most pro golfers use the same shafts their previous clubs, usually True Temper steel in the irons. Irons are the precision clubs and pro golfers dial in their distance with them. Drivers are constantly changed, even week to week, as the pros do get money for using them. But these are power and not precision instruments. Again, you can use the same shaft in the driver heads, but pros are more willing to try different driver shafts.

As noted, putters and wedges are usually unchanged and often different makes from their main sponsor (it's allowed in the contract). Many wedges are customized by grinding the sole and bending to get a stronger/weaker loft.

Feņa14 10-09-2012 12:34 PM

I think drivers are the thing they change the most, along with putters.

They seem to bring a new one out every year that adds 20-30 yards, that's the difference between going for a par 5 in 2 and having to lay up, going into a par 4 with a shorter iron etc.. If you don't move with the times, you get left behind.

As others have mentioned with the putter, it's all about confidence really. Sometimes you want to look down and see a blade behind the ball, sometimes your eye needs to see a bigger mallet kind of putter to give you the confidence.

krz 10-09-2012 12:47 PM

Golf technology actually changes and you are at a disadvantage using old tech. Tennis not so much.

I mean I guess there is some tech that makes a difference. The move to graphite, Wilson's "Perimeter Weighting System."

But, I don't think anybody really believes karophite black or ncode injected graphite as materials is making any sort of real difference. Or that the "Flex Point" is cupping the ball more.

LeeD 10-09-2012 12:54 PM

As some of us agreed, the shorter irons and woods, and wedges don't change much, if at all, over the last 30 years.
Only the drivers are changing.
Putters, as said, is a mental game, but any changes are not physical.
I"m not qualified to talk about long irons, which I avoid like the plaque because my 5 and 3 wood play is actually very consistent.

r2473 10-09-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veloduffer (Post 6944579)
The biggest factor in golf equipment is not the heads, but the shafts. So while the heads change, most pro golfers use the same shafts their previous clubs, usually True Temper steel in the irons. Irons are the precision clubs and pro golfers dial in their distance with them. Drivers are constantly changed, even week to week, as the pros do get money for using them. But these are power and not precision instruments. Again, you can use the same shaft in the driver heads, but pros are more willing to try different driver shafts.

As noted, putters and wedges are usually unchanged and often different makes from their main sponsor (it's allowed in the contract). Many wedges are customized by grinding the sole and bending to get a stronger/weaker loft.

Shafts and balls are the biggest technological advantages IMO. At least for pros.

For rec golfers, its all about increasing the hitting area and making crappy shots still go somewhere (and somewhat straight).

r2473 10-09-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 6944617)
Golf technology actually changes and you are at a disadvantage using old tech. Tennis not so much.

I mean I guess there is some tech that makes a difference. The move to graphite, Wilson's "Perimeter Weighting System."

But, I don't think anybody really believes karophite black or ncode injected graphite as materials is making any sort of real difference. Or that the "Flex Point" is cupping the ball more.

Funny. I can play with pretty much any clubs and hit about the same (changing the shats is a different story).

But playing with a different tennis racquet is really hard. They all play so differently IMO. I really have my swing dialed into **my racquet**. When I play with something else, my timing is crap.

Strings of course make a really big difference as well.

LeeD 10-09-2012 01:43 PM

Try a flexy carbon shaft on your trusty 7 iron, and you spray the ball all over the map. 150 yards is pretty much standard, no reason to try to increase the distance.

bigmatt 10-09-2012 01:47 PM

Even pros have switched from blade irons to cavity-backed clubs in recent years, so there has been a sea change in irons. the big deal, though, always seems to be drivers.
Golfers can more ably switch because they're hitting a stationary ball, I think. If they had to do what we do, they'd be less likely to change. Driving a ball 300 vs 275 can be very helpful; hitting a forehand 80 feet vs 78=LOSER!

sureshs 10-09-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 6944617)
The move to graphite, Wilson's "Perimeter Weighting System."

There are those who claim the PWS is empty inside and does nothing.

Feņa14 10-09-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6944627)
As some of us agreed, the shorter irons and woods, and wedges don't change much, if at all, over the last 30 years.
Only the drivers are changing.
Putters, as said, is a mental game, but any changes are not physical.
I"m not qualified to talk about long irons, which I avoid like the plaque because my 5 and 3 wood play is actually very consistent.

I'm with you there, my 6 iron is the longest iron I use. I can hit it 180 if i need to. Anything more than that and it's time for a 5 wood.

I still use Callaway Steelhead III 3 and 5 woods, they must be 10 years old now but they're still the best i've found.

r2473 10-09-2012 02:48 PM

Can you actually get a 5-wood to stay on the green from 185?

I take half to 3/4 swings on all my clubs. So much easier to control as opposed to taking full strokes. I probably take the shortest stroke with my driver. Unless you are playing from the blacks, distance doesn't normally mean much to hacks like me. Hitting straight pretty much ensures bogey golf or better. Then its all down to chipping and putting as to how much lower your score is.

stringertom 10-09-2012 02:54 PM

There's far more "tweaking" going on on the PGA Tour than the ATP, all the way through the bag. For proof, spectate at any event and take note of the large trailers on site with tour techs inside dialing in the equipment for all the competing players.

On drivers, fairway woods and hybrids they mostly tweak with shafts and lead tape to change swingweight, launch angle preferred ball flight (does the course have dog lefts? Help me draw!).

Irons get tweaked for lie and loft with tape and/or bending the heads. Again, course conditions have a big influence on the adjustments (heavier rough...perimeter weight gets added for more stability). Wedges may get tweaked or substituted with different bounce specs because of the greens areas and bunker conditions.

Putters, too...slower conditions on the greens will lead to heavier set-ups.

I applaud the work the top techs for ATP players provide but it's not nearly as intensive as what the PGA tour techs are called on for every week.

Feņa14 10-09-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6944823)
Can you actually get a 5-wood to stay on the green from 185?

I take half to 3/4 swings on all my clubs. So much easier to control as opposed to taking full strokes. I probably take the shortest stroke with my driver. Unless you are playing from the blacks, distance doesn't normally mean much to hacks like me. Hitting straight pretty much ensures bogey golf or better. Then its all down to chipping and putting as to how much lower your score is.

Absolutely, it's all about chipping and putting. Tricky long par 4's where you have to go into the green with a wood, a 4 is a very good score, no matter what your handicap is really. If you're anywhere within 40 yards after 2, you should have a good chance of making that.

It doesn't really matter how close you get if you can't pitch it close or putt :)

If you have good course management and a good short game, you're pretty much there I always think.

Rock Strongo 10-09-2012 03:08 PM

Different iron lofts now is it not? Also, nothing beats hitting the cover of the ball with a persimmon driver.

I'll find my way out now...

krz 10-09-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6944720)
Funny. I can play with pretty much any clubs and hit about the same (changing the shats is a different story).

But playing with a different tennis racquet is really hard. They all play so differently IMO. I really have my swing dialed into **my racquet**. When I play with something else, my timing is crap.

Strings of course make a really big difference as well.

I barely ever play golf, maybe once a year.

But, I play more or less the same with every racket assuming it's strung with a poly.

r2473 10-09-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feņa14 (Post 6944841)
Absolutely, it's all about chipping and putting. Tricky long par 4's where you have to go into the green with a wood, a 4 is a very good score, no matter what your handicap is really. If you're anywhere within 40 yards after 2, you should have a good chance of making that.

It doesn't really matter how close you get if you can't pitch it close or putt :)

If you have good course management and a good short game, you're pretty much there I always think.

For me, golf is all about minimizing the bad mistakes. If you can just keep the ball straight (pretty much regardless of distance), you'll score OK. If I'm playing that "long par 4", my goal is bogey. Par is just luck.

With putting, nobody makes more than maybe a third of putts outside of 5 feet. Even pros only make around 50%. So while putting is important, its really lag putting that will help you score. Chipping and pitching to the "smart side" of the hole to make your lag putt easier.

You'll hit a few "great" pitches, chips, and putts, but mostly its just about putting in spots that give you the best chance to make the next one.

http://www.thegolfingblog.com/2010/1...u-compare.html

Feņa14 10-09-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6944970)
For me, golf is all about minimizing the bad mistakes. If you can just keep the ball straight (pretty much regardless of distance), you'll score OK. If I'm playing that "long par 4", my goal is bogey. Par is just luck.

With putting, nobody makes more than maybe a third of putts outside of 5 feet. Even pros only make around 50%. So while putting is important, its really lag putting that will help you score. Chipping and pitching to the "smart side" of the hole to make your lag putt easier.

You'll hit a few "great" pitches, chips, and putts, but mostly its just about putting in spots that give you the best chance to make the next one.

http://www.thegolfingblog.com/2010/1...u-compare.html

Interesting stats! I've always loved putting, as a kid I would be on the putting green in the practice area until it went dark. Friends would want to go on the driving range, but putting has always been the part I enjoy the most.

People seem to over analyse their swings and it causes more harm than good I find, if your mind is concentrating on 5 things at once, you tense up and that's when things start to fall apart, in my experience.

With putting, it's just about being precise. There's no greater feeling than making that 15-20 foot putt and hearing the ball rattling it's way to the bottom of the hole :) Give me that over a 300 yards drive anyday!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse