Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I'm Looking Forward to Federer Ending the Year as #1 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442532)

winstonplum 10-09-2012 02:31 PM

I'm Looking Forward to Federer Ending the Year as #1

. . . which he will. A strange thing has happened to me during this absence of Nadal's as opposed to the one in 2009, when I was cursing the tennis gods that Federer got to back into that 15th slam. I'm actually enjoying watching Federer win, or try to win, as it were at the US Open. I like the way Federer plays. As I improve my own tennis game, I realize that although Nadal is my favorite player, I play much more like Federer in my own 4.0 way, of course. Federer is the most aggressive player on tour. When he sees an opening, he tries to end the point, usually on with one-two forehand punch.

If I'm honest with myself, it really hasn't been that fun to watch Nadal in a couple of years. He seems to have lost his killer instinct. I also find, as I get better at tennis, and play more and more with friends (still fiercely competitive matches), and USTA matches, that I rarely say "come on" or make any noise at all. I hit my forehand quite hard for a 4.0-4.5 but I don't grunt at all. And when I face some d-bag who is yelling "Vamos" at 30-15 in the second game of the match, it takes all the self-control I have to not scream "Vamos" mockingly back at him the next time he nets a ball.

Anyway, as Kilgore's adjutant said in Apocolypse Now, "this is Federer's beach", or maybe it was "this is Federer's court." The point is, the pros are inside now. Now wild and wooly weather, no wind, no sun, nothing but fast, low-bouncing Federer conditions. He will take Shanghai, Basel, Bercy and go undefeated in London. According to my calculations, that should do it. Make no mistake, Fed wants that YE #1 A LOT. When was the last time a year end #1 was up for grabs this late in the year? 2003?

dr325i 10-09-2012 02:39 PM

Interesting...
Federer is about 800 points ahead of Djokovic. Clais he's drained. Is defending >3000 points to the end of the year, Djokovic is defeding ~600 points.

How can you claim so surely that he will remain #1?

Evan77 10-09-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 6944801)
. . . which he will. A strange thing has happened to me during this absence of Nadal's as opposed to the one in 2009, when I was cursing the tennis gods that Federer got to back into that 15th slam. I'm actually enjoying watching Federer win, or try to win, as it were at the US Open. I like the way Federer plays. As I improve my own tennis game, I realize that although Nadal is my favorite player, I play much more like Federer in my own 4.0 way, of course. Federer is the most aggressive player on tour. When he sees an opening, he tries to end the point, usually on with one-two forehand punch.

If I'm honest with myself, it really hasn't been that fun to watch Nadal in a couple of years. He seems to have lost his killer instinct. I also find, as I get better at tennis, and play more and more with friends (still fiercely competitive matches), and USTA matches, that I rarely say "come on" or make any noise at all. I hit my forehand quite hard for a 4.0-4.5 but I don't grunt at all. And when I face some d-bag who is yelling "Vamos" at 30-15 in the second game of the match, it takes all the self-control I have to not scream "Vamos" mockingly back at him the next time he nets a ball.

Anyway, as Kilgore's adjutant said in Apocolypse Now, "this is Federer's beach", or maybe it was "this is Federer's court." The point is, the pros are inside now. Now wild and wooly weather, no wind, no sun, nothing but fast, low-bouncing Federer conditions. He will take Shanghai, Basel, Bercy and go undefeated in London. According to my calculations, that should do it. Make no mistake, Fed wants that YE #1 A LOT. When was the last time a year end #1 was up for grabs this late in the year? 2003?

he will not. you are just being anther sillly ****. just too many ***** here who know nothing about tennis. welcome to the club. sorry to call you stupid, but you are :)

Clarky21 10-09-2012 02:59 PM

ABD. That's my motto so I hope Fed does finish the year at #1.

Clarky21 10-09-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan77 (Post 6944819)
he will not. you are just being anther sillly ****. just too many ***** here who know nothing about tennis. welcome to the club. sorry to call you stupid, but you are :)

Funny coming from a FrankenCvactard like yourself. :lol:

Prisoner of Birth 10-09-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Look, he's definitely the best indoor player around. But he's 31 now, and it's unrealistic to expect him to take 4 tournaments back-to-back. 1, sure, 2, probably, 3, perhaps, 4? That's stretching it, mate.

zagor 10-09-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Anyway, as Kilgore's adjutant said in Apocolypse Now, "this is Federer's beach", or maybe it was "this is Federer's court." The point is, the pros are inside now. Now wild and wooly weather, no wind, no sun, nothing but fast, low-bouncing Federer conditions.

You mean like he was gonna win USO as well, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 6853346)
As a longtime, hardcore Nadal fan, there has always been something a wee bit annoying about watching Federer triumph when Nadal isn't there to stop him: the most annoying examples for me, personally, were USO '08, RG '09, Wimby '09. Those matches were over before they started. None of those three opponents had any belief that they could actually win those matches.

Moving on . . . I actually might enjoy Federer winning this USO, which he will, because he's got two legitimate players that could stop him. In the old days, pre-Nole 2.0 and a more mature Murray, once Nadal was out of the draw it was snooze time. This is different. Murray is primed for a slam and ready for a good fight to get it, as exhibited by his AO semi with Nole this year and the Wimby final (a match that turned on one or two games and about five points), and Nole, despite his embarrassing first set in Cincy, seems to be locked in (I didn't watch his first two matches but those scorelines indicate he's doing something right).

The older, more mature me realizes you can't begrudge Fed any of his Nadal-less victories. The man can only play who is there in front of him. Perhaps I'm feeling sanguine because I read Fed's quote earlier tonight about Roddick. Total class. Probably the only time I've been moved by something Federer said. Not that I have anything against things he's said, it's just that he uber-diplomatic, never-let-them-see-you-sweat-demeanor has always left he wanting more from him. Calling Roddick a "Wimbledon champion" was priceless, more so coming from him as the owner of 7 titles.

***** and their stupid jinxes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 6853346)
He will take Shanghai, Basel, Bercy and go undefeated in London. According to my calculations, that should do it. Make no mistake, Fed wants that YE #1 A LOT. When was the last time a year end #1 was up for grabs this late in the year? 2003?

Not gonna happen.

Gonzo_style 10-09-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan77 (Post 6944819)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 6944847)
Look, he's definitely the best indoor player around. But he's 31 now, and it's unrealistic to expect him to take 4 tournaments back-to-back. 1, sure, 2, probably, 3, perhaps, 4? That's stretching it, mate.

Let him believe :)

Cup8489 10-09-2012 03:31 PM

Look, winning all 4 tournaments is a huge ask for him.. but I would be overjoyed if he managed to reclaim YE#1 a second time, two years after losing it a second time. Only Lendl had ever reclaimed it after losing it before Fed did.. and to do it again, after not having it TWO years, would be awesome.

winstonplum 10-09-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagor (Post 6944855)
You mean like he was gonna win USO as well, right?

***** and their stupid jinxes.

Not gonna happen.

Yes, I was wrong about Federer winning the US Open. But hey, what's the fun of making predictions if you don't try to shoot the moon. This isn't cancer research were doing here on TT. Since I know you have all my posts on a printout in front of you, check my 2011 RG predictions. Pretty good, eh. Anyway, bump my thread when Fed goes on a huge tear and takes it all. I'm going to enjoy watching him beating Nole in the finals of Shanghai for starters. Not that I dislike Nole in the slightest, it's just that I'm starting to really enjoy watching Federer play. He's pretty good, you know. Something zapped my brain in the five months that Nadal has been out, and I realized tennis fandom doesn't have to be a zero sum proposition of rooting for one guy and hating the rest. Both Federer and Nadal have had spectacular careers; the achievements of one don't detract for the achievements of the other.

Prisoner of Birth 10-09-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 6945109)
Yes, I was wrong about Federer winning the US Open. But hey, what's the fun of making predictions if you don't try to shoot the moon. This isn't cancer research were doing here on TT. Since I know you have all my posts on a printout in front of you, check my 2011 RG predictions. Pretty good, eh. Anyway, bump my thread when Fed goes on a huge tear and takes it all. I'm going to enjoy watching him beating Nole in the finals of Shanghai for starters. Not that I dislike Nole in the slightest, it's just that I'm starting to really enjoy watching Federer play. He's pretty good, you know. Something zapped my brain in the five months that Nadal has been out, and I realized tennis fandom doesn't have to be a zero sum proposition of rooting for one guy and hating the rest. Both Federer and Nadal have had spectacular careers; the achievements of one don't detract for the achievements of the other.

Truer words have never been spoken.

ledwix 10-09-2012 07:23 PM

Anyway, Fed will almost definitely not be #1, since Djokovic is already in the clear as far as 2012 points are concerned. And last year he barely won any matches at this stage. This year he will be motivated to at least match Federer's points from here on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 6945164)
It's the same era :???:

Yeah, I was just paroding those nonsensical "weak era" theorists who think 2003 and 2005 were different eras, so none of Federer's slams count until Nadal reached his peak. (or even if Nadal is injured, regardless of peak)

No1e 10-09-2012 07:38 PM

Then you are gonna be disappointed, because Nole will take the #1 spot.

Tony48 10-09-2012 07:42 PM

I will barf if Novak allows Fed to stay at No. 1, considering that the point differential is heavily in Novak's favor.

roysid 10-09-2012 08:30 PM

Novak is already ahead by 1500 points (for 2012 only). If Fed can reduce the gap after Paris, then London will be interesting.

Fed is playing Basel but is Novak playing that. I heard not?

ctoth666 10-09-2012 08:35 PM

Well anything's possible isn't it? But my understanding of the point differential and the year-to-date race leads me to believe that Federer would basically have to win Shanghai, Basel, Paris, and the WTF. I mean, maybe? But probably, almost definitely not. The indoor streak he's riding won't make it through to 2013. This isn't Nadal on clay no what I'm sayin'?

SoBad 10-09-2012 08:55 PM

It's all up for grabs when Nadal is not around.

zapvor 10-09-2012 08:58 PM

unless sobad gets a wildcard

SoBad 10-09-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 6945256)
unless sobad gets a wildcard

I am thinking of entering the pre-qualies next time Nadal takes a year off. Hopefully I won't be facing in-form Berankis or Nishioka early in the tournament. Would be nice to bag a USO and just say "i did it"...

Cup8489 10-09-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctoth666 (Post 6945232)
Well anything's possible isn't it? But my understanding of the point differential and the year-to-date race leads me to believe that Federer would basically have to win Shanghai, Basel, Paris, and the WTF. I mean, maybe? But probably, almost definitely not. The indoor streak he's riding won't make it through to 2013. This isn't Nadal on clay no what I'm sayin'?

Worse. It's Rogi indoors.