Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ask me anything about being a professional tennis player (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442583)

fpeliwo 10-10-2012 07:40 AM

Ask me anything about being a professional tennis player

Hi guys,

My name is Filip, I am from Vancouver, Canada and I am a professional tennis player.

This year, I made the finals of all 4 junior Grand Slams, winning at Wimbledon and the US Open to finish the year as the #1 ITF junior.

In the next year, I will mostly be playing on the Challenger and Futures circuits.

A friend talked me into joining the board, and it seems like a great place to talk tennis with other fans and players. I will try to post a few times a week. In the meantime, feel free to ask me anything about life on tour!

Filip Peliwo
Twitter: @filippeliwo

AnotherTennisProdigy 10-10-2012 07:46 AM

I'm almost exactly a month younger than you and was wondering what pro life is like? Is it stressful, do you enjoy the ride?

I'm curious because I had the choice to dedicate myself to tennis at a young age or to play it casually. I chose the latter but I always wondered what it would be like if I tried to make a career out of tennis.

The Bawss 10-10-2012 07:52 AM

What is different about Juniors tennis and ATP circuit tennis? How hard is the transition?

robbo1970 10-10-2012 07:56 AM

Should Federer switch to a 95?

I'm sorry I'm kidding. You will see many threads debating this point.

Welcome aboard and get involved with some of the threads, all knowledge is very welcome.

tennis_pro 10-10-2012 07:56 AM

Can you speak Polish (not that it has anything to do with being a pro...)?

Btw if this is true, it would be great for a real pro to join the boards. Check in as often as you can, mate!

mmk 10-10-2012 08:00 AM

Nice of you to do this, and good luck. Given your tennis career so far, you've won the majority of your matches. For a while at least that probably won't be the case, how do you prepare yourself for that?

No1e 10-10-2012 08:03 AM

Who is your favorite player?

mike84 10-10-2012 08:05 AM

congratulations on all success so far and good luck on your transition to pro circuit.

have you had chance to practice with roger, nadal, novak?

what is your typical week look like?

fpeliwo 10-10-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherTennisProdigy (Post 6945821)
I'm almost exactly a month younger than you and was wondering what pro life is like? Is it stressful, do you enjoy the ride?

I'm curious because I had the choice to dedicate myself to tennis at a young age or to play it casually. I chose the latter but I always wondered what it would be like if I tried to make a career out of tennis.

Life on the pro tour is definitely different from juniors. For one thing, the stakes are a lot higher, as you are playing for ATP points and money. The guys are obviously a lot stronger, so the game is quite different as well. Itís not the same kind of stress as in juniors, because you are generally the underdog when you play against the top players, whereas in juniors (at least in my case) you generally have more pressure and expectations. The rewards are greater than those on the junior tour, so I definitely enjoy playing on the pro tour. Itís something that Iíve worked for most of my life, and its great to see myself progressing through the rankings.

fpeliwo 10-10-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 6945843)
Can you speak Polish (not that it has anything to do with being a pro...)?

Btw if this is true, it would be great for a real pro to join the boards. Check in as often as you can, mate!

Thanks!

Yes, I can speak read and write Polish quite fluently

The Meat 10-10-2012 08:18 AM

Looked at some of your matches, you have an amazing game!!!

Good luck in the pro circuit!

moonpie 10-10-2012 08:19 AM

Welcome aboard this crazy train and thanks for offering us some insight from the professional side. When you start traveling with the challenger/ futures tour, will you get any help from any of the tennis organizations , since you did so well as a junior, or will you be pretty much on your own. Who is your coach? I wish you the best and will be watching for your name on the player lists.

Sim 10-10-2012 08:20 AM

Edit:Wrong thread.

AnotherTennisProdigy 10-10-2012 08:21 AM

If you come down to Miami I'll come watch your matches. :)

fpeliwo 10-10-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmk (Post 6945852)
Nice of you to do this, and good luck. Given your tennis career so far, you've won the majority of your matches. For a while at least that probably won't be the case, how do you prepare yourself for that?

Well, as I noted in my answer to a previous question, on the pro tour I am generally going into matches as an underdog. Because of this, there isn't nearly as much pressure, which therefore allows me to play loose and relaxed. However I do expect to win a few rounds at least in every single tournament I enter,no matter at what level.

citybert 10-10-2012 08:24 AM

Thanks for doing this. As a promising upcoming junior who is in your travel team? Is it just you and the coach? do you use the Physio from the tournaments that the ATP provides?

How is it not knowing what country you are in sometimes when you wake up?

Thanks again

Seth 10-10-2012 08:31 AM

If you play any tournaments in North Carolina, let us know. I'll bring a crowd. :)

DejZ 10-10-2012 08:35 AM

Could you pls tell us something about your game,about strengths and weaknesses you know?(if you have them of course)

kOaMaster 10-10-2012 08:36 AM

What are your long-term expectations? What do you personally and honestly think would be a realistic goal to achieve in your career?

Evan77 10-10-2012 08:41 AM

welcome and all the best to you. I'd love to see you playing so if you have any videos it would be awesome if you can post them.

what's your current rankings? have you ever met Raonic?