Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Tournament Question for Beginner (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442637)

bmoore14 10-10-2012 04:55 PM

Tournament Question for Beginner

Hey all! I have just started playing again competitively after about 10 years off. I am USTA ranked at 3.5, and I am slowly getting back to the 4.5 level is used to be. My question is simple: I am going home over the holidays to spend Christmas week with the family. During that week I am up there, an USTA Open tournament is going on at a tennis club that is just minutes from my parents house. Would it be a huge waste to enter this? I know I will not win the tournament, but I think it would be fun and a good experience. Thoughts?

floridatennisdude 10-10-2012 05:00 PM

Fun + Good Experience = good idea

I'd play a lot leading up to it so you have a good feel going in. Sounds like you have nothing to lose, enjoy!

NTRPolice 10-10-2012 05:02 PM

Why not?

As long as your expectations are realistic I dont see why entering to get back into the "competitive environment" would be a bad thing.

I can see why some people may tell you not to ruin the draw for others or w/e but really there have been many 3.5's who have joined "opens" and got eliminated in round 1.

That's the thing about being in an "open". You may be up against a solid 4.5 senior player, a 10 year old junior, or ... a random 3.5 who joined "just because".

I wouldnt join one, but I wouldnt tell anyone to not join one either as long as their intentions and expectations are in line.

NLBwell 10-10-2012 05:05 PM

Depends if you want to hang out with your family or not.

Coach Chad 10-18-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoore14 (Post 6946830)
Hey all! I have just started playing again competitively after about 10 years off. I am USTA ranked at 3.5, and I am slowly getting back to the 4.5 level is used to be. My question is simple: I am going home over the holidays to spend Christmas week with the family. During that week I am up there, an USTA Open tournament is going on at a tennis club that is just minutes from my parents house. Would it be a huge waste to enter this? I know I will not win the tournament, but I think it would be fun and a good experience. Thoughts?

Play! Have fun! If you used to be a 4.5, you should be fine. You may want to make sure you do not hurt anyones feelings by not spending time with them during the holidays, lol.

tennis tom 10-18-2012 04:52 PM

Go for it!

LeeD 10-18-2012 04:53 PM

For sure, play.
You know how you'll do.
You know you have no chance to win.
But being former 4.5, you should not see any hitting you have not seen before.

Sakkijarvi 10-19-2012 02:59 PM

Have your parents come watch.

3fees 10-27-2012 09:25 AM

Entry Sounds good, dont beat yourself thats whats the opponents want