Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Which is worse for your elbow.. stiff frame? or stiff strings? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442657)

chopstic 10-10-2012 09:56 PM

Which is worse for your elbow.. stiff frame? or stiff strings?

What do you think contributes more to tennis elbow. A stiff frame or stiff strings? I know technique is probably number one, but what do you think the next biggest risk factor is?

Take a stiff frame like the Pure Drive Roddick+ with soft multifilaments and compare it to a soft frame like the exo3 Tour 100 with a full bed of stiff polys. Which setup would be worse for the elbow?

namja 10-10-2012 10:26 PM

I wanna say the strings & the tension of the stringing.

LanEvo 10-10-2012 10:38 PM

I would say strings as well.

maxpotapov 10-10-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopstic (Post 6947245)
Which is worse for your elbow.. stiff frame? or stiff strings?

Stiff arms?..

I'd say, until you develop proper technique why risk with any stiff frame and/or stiff strings?

Personally I recommend beginners to use full natural gut. Aside from safety concerns, that will teach them to be calm and watch the ball carefully, or else it's $50 every shank :)

BreakPoint 10-10-2012 10:48 PM

Hard to say. I've gotten tennis elbow from using a stiff frame with soft strings and I've gotten tennis elbow from using a flexy frame with stiff strings. So to me, they are both bad for your elbow, but I think the damage comes quicker with stiff strings.

sansaephanh 10-10-2012 11:30 PM

If anything hurts, change everything you can... I developed tennis elbow recently because of dead multi. The second i switched to a new bed, it was almost instantly cured.

Checklist in priority

1. Technique
2. Strings
3. Racket

I think it comes down to that order through common sense AND cost effectiveness.

bugeyed 10-11-2012 04:21 AM

Stiff frame. Most pain comes from missing the sweet spot & soft strings don't cushion the impact well when you hit the ball high in the stiff frame. I feel that a flexible frame is the safest way to go. If strung tight, the frame will still absorb some of the shock. Actually, a soft frame with stiff strings will flex more at impact than with loose strings.

Cheers,
kev

mikeler 10-11-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaephanh (Post 6947345)
If anything hurts, change everything you can... I developed tennis elbow recently because of dead multi. The second i switched to a new bed, it was almost instantly cured.

Checklist in priority

1. Technique
2. Strings
3. Racket

I think it comes down to that order through common sense AND cost effectiveness.

I agree with this order but the gap between 2 and 3 is very small. Both can do harm to your arm if they are stiff.

Johnny-Cage 10-11-2012 06:31 AM

I would say stiff strings cause more harm than stiff frames. I started having tennis elbow when I strung my K-Tours with a full bed of poly. Now, I'm back to using hybrids or pure gut and my elbow is starting to heal. :)

Long Face 10-11-2012 07:59 AM

My personal experience:

A stiff frame hurts my wrist.

A dense/stiff string bed hurts my elbow.

sunof tennis 10-11-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6947602)
I agree with this order but the gap between 2 and 3 is very small. Both can do harm to your arm if they are stiff.

Completely agree. Of course, most people don't want to hear about No. 1

LeeD 10-11-2012 03:51 PM

Both.
If you get shot in the torso and shot in the upper chest, which wound to you address first?

UCSF2012 10-11-2012 07:37 PM

My wrist hurts when I mistime WW forehands, b/c WW forehands are wristy. My elbow hurts on backhand shanks, because my arm is at full extension on the 1hbh.

Get your timing right and nothing hurts.