Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New article on Rosewall (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442658)

urban 10-10-2012 10:23 PM

New article on Rosewall
 
To the serious posters here, (and those i can take serious), a new article by Steve Tignor on tennis about Rosewall and clips of the 1970 USO final, which wre loaded on by Krosero. I think, we had a discussion here about the clips a year ago or so.
http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/c...muscles/39730/

BobbyOne 10-11-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban (Post 6947261)
To the serious posters here, (and those i can take serious), a new article by Steve Tignor on tennis about Rosewall and clips of the 1970 USO final, which wre loaded on by Krosero. I think, we had a discussion here about the clips a year ago or so.
http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/c...muscles/39730/

Thanks, urban, for the Tignor article. Hope to be a serious poster. Tignor describes Rosewall's backhand very well.

I liked it that he also mentioned Rosewall's pro majors which mostly are neglected.

urban 10-11-2012 04:44 AM

Seems that Tignor is now aware to look first at some clips before he makes his comments. Some years ago he made some comments about old masters without looking first. Recently i read a longer article of Trengove about his experiences at the Austrialian champs in the 50s, including his first hand description of Rosewall's first final win over Rose. I will look for the link.
http://static.booktopia.com.au/pdf/9780980466744-1.pdf

chrischris 10-11-2012 05:53 AM

Great stuff .. Muscles was awesome to watch !!

pc1 10-11-2012 06:22 AM

Great articles Urban.

Carsomyr 10-11-2012 06:24 AM

Much better article, congrats.

urban 10-11-2012 07:44 AM

Posting a link is an easy exercise. Congratulations to the authors, especially to the over 80 years old guy, who has bewared his wit and style over the years. The difference is, that one account of Rosewall is firsthand, the other relies on some clips. Its of course not Tignor's fault, and i respect his more recent writings, because he shows some humility and historical perspective, by constantly referring to older writers. Still, there was a generation of tennis writers, like Laurie Pignon (who died recently), Will Grimsley, Trengove, Collins, Tingay, David Gray (with his famous Shades of Gray, not the mommyporn), Barrett, Bellamy, McCauley, Warren Wind, (Laney, Danzig, Myers, Oliff of a previous era), and others, who had encyclopedic knowledge of the game, and who were/are imo real authorities of the game.

kiki 10-11-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban (Post 6948089)
Posting a link is an easy exercise. Congratulations to the authors, especially to the over 80 years old guy, who has bewared his wit and style over the years. The difference is, that one account of Rosewall is firsthand, the other relies on some clips. Its of course not Tignor's fault, and i respect his more recent writings, because he shows some humility and historical perspective, by constantly referring to older writers. Still, there was a generation of tennis writers, like Laurie Pignon (who died recently), Will Grimsley, Trengove, Collins, Tingay, David Gray (with his famous Shades of Gray, not the mommyporn), Barrett, Bellamy, McCauley, Warren Wind, (Laney, Danzig, Myers, Oliff of a previous era), and others, who had encyclopedic knowledge of the game, and who were/are imo real authorities of the game.

And Tingay and maskell, the voice of the BBC.great recolection of names.Iīd add Tomassi,Scaramanga,Couvercelle and Ducamp.

krosero 10-12-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban (Post 6947261)
I think, we had a discussion here about the clips a year ago or so.

Yes a few here, and one in the Tips forum: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=421915

Nice to see that clip making impressions.

hoodjem 10-13-2012 08:15 AM

"He was 37 when he won his last, at the ’72 Aussie Open. He was 39 when he reached the Wimbledon and U.S. Open finals two years later."

Incroyable!

Dan Lobb 10-13-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6952734)
"He was 37 when he won his last, at the ’72 Aussie Open. He was 39 when he reached the Wimbledon and U.S. Open finals two years later."

Incroyable!

Especially when you consider that his first major wins were in 1953, and that he probably reached absolute peak form in the late 1950's.
To extend competitive form for another 17 years past his absolute peak (remember, Rosewall defeated Nastase in clay court FINALS in 1975 and 1976!) is unbelievable.
What did those Hopman grads put in their porridge?

BobbyOne 10-13-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6952965)
Especially when you consider that his first major wins were in 1953, and that he probably reached absolute peak form in the late 1950's.
To extend competitive form for another 17 years past his absolute peak (remember, Rosewall defeated Nastase in clay court FINALS in 1975 and 1976!) is unbelievable.
What did those Hopman grads put in their porridge?

Yes, several Aussies (Laver, Sedgman) lasted long, but it was a Rosewall speciality to win at over 40.

pc1 10-13-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6952965)
Especially when you consider that his first major wins were in 1953, and that he probably reached absolute peak form in the late 1950's.
To extend competitive form for another 17 years past his absolute peak (remember, Rosewall defeated Nastase in clay court FINALS in 1975 and 1976!) is unbelievable.
What did those Hopman grads put in their porridge?

It is incredible how many great players were coached by Hopman. Do we also include John McEnroe among the Hopman group?

kiki 10-14-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 6953378)
It is incredible how many great players were coached by Hopman. Do we also include John McEnroe among the Hopman group?

Not so much as Vitas Gerulaitis, anyhow.

hoodjem 10-14-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6952965)
Especially when you consider that his first major wins were in 1953, and that he probably reached absolute peak form in the late 1950's.
To extend competitive form for another 17 years past his absolute peak (remember, Rosewall defeated Nastase in clay court FINALS in 1975 and 1976!) is unbelievable.
What did those Hopman grads put in their porridge?

Yes! Muscles' longevity is supreme.

As I have said before, I try to imagine Fed winning a slam in 2022--and I can't.

Frankc 10-14-2012 08:36 AM

Wow - thank sfor the post. A sunday morning, coffee in hand, and the link is just wonderful... wonderful...

BobbyOne 10-14-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6952965)
Especially when you consider that his first major wins were in 1953, and that he probably reached absolute peak form in the late 1950's.
To extend competitive form for another 17 years past his absolute peak (remember, Rosewall defeated Nastase in clay court FINALS in 1975 and 1976!) is unbelievable.
What did those Hopman grads put in their porridge?

Dan, as far as I know Rosewall beat Nastase in the 1975 North Conway SEMIFINAL. And I'm not sure if the 1976 Hongkong tournament was played on clay, but you could be right.

pc1 10-14-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6954565)
Not so much as Vitas Gerulaitis, anyhow.

I forgot about Vitas. :)

treblings 10-22-2012 04:10 AM

youtube is not my friend today, link isnīt working
been watching Rosewall-Laver clip from the RG69 final and wanted to share it

hoodjem 10-22-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6968335)
youtube is not my friend today, link isnīt working
been watching Rosewall-Laver clip from the RG69 final and wanted to share it

Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvK-1tUvQM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse