Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   if you were a tennis player (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442664)

adil1972 10-11-2012 01:34 AM

if you were a tennis player

which one would you prefer to be

sampras who won 14 Grand slam, but both his game and character were boring
one time his Wimbledon final with courrier was labeled as bored on 4th of july

agassi who won 8 grand slam but who was flamboyont and made tennis famous

Prisoner of Birth 10-11-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adil1972 (Post 6947406)
which one would you prefer to be

sampras who won 14 Grand slam, but both his game and character were boring
one time his Wimbledon final with courrier was labeled as bored on 4th of july

agassi who won 8 grand slam but who was flamboyont and made tennis famous

Sampras. 100 years from now, the only thing people will remember is the Slams and the dominance.

mmk 10-11-2012 04:05 AM

Verdasco, have you seen some of his arm candy?

nereis 10-11-2012 10:24 AM

Agassi certainly gets a lot more respect both from the general public and from aficionados. Sampras achieved more, but has done little to promote the sport to the extent that Andre has. When Andre played, people cared. At the time, he played what was an unconventional style and succeeded against guys twice his size whilst looking like he just came from a glam rock concert.

I would wager that if both Sampras and Agassi were to start a tennis ranch today, Agassi's would probably be more successful if only because of his star power.

Unlike a lot of people here, I would care more about what the general public thought of me and tennis than where my name stood in the record book. At some point we have to take a step back from the ego stroking to do greater things. So I would probably go for Agassi.

rofl_copter3 10-11-2012 10:38 AM

Agassi for sure, the dude climbed to the top, fell off the mountain then climbed again. People fell in love with the guy and he got everything through hard work. Plus he's still involved in tennis and giving back to the kids and trying to make the sport better... Pete is doing none of this and although he was great he's not got the charisma of agassi and is hard to connect with from a fans perspective...

TMF 10-11-2012 10:42 AM

Not a good comparison because it would be Sampras, hands down.

The better comparison would be Nadal vs. Borg since they are so even at this point. Or Connors vs. Agassi

Hood_Man 10-11-2012 11:50 AM

I think I'd rather be Andre. I feel like I could relate to Pete a lot more, but at the same time I look at Andre'a career and realise that, although he never dominated the way Sampras did, he did win all 4 majors, the Olympic Gold and the TMC/WTF (whatever it was called then, not bothered enough to look it up right now :)).

To me that sounds like the fuller career. Irregardless of what others might think of that opinion, it is what the OP is asking for.

However, most importantly than that is what Andre has achieved after tennis. His tennis career lasted about 20 years, but he's going to spend a much larger part of his life as a philanthropist.

Both men are no doubt living the lives they've always dreamed of so I won't make a comparison regarding who's "better," but I think I'd like to be able to look back at my life when I'm old and grey and see the same things Andre will see.

Carsomyr 10-11-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 6947407)
Sampras. 100 years from now, the only thing people will remember is the Slams and the dominance.

Yes, but Agassi was far more beloved in his lifetime. It depends on what you value you more: the present or posterity.

ManFed 10-11-2012 12:01 PM

I rather prefer to have Agassi's Talent but with the mentality of Sampras.

Regards.

LeeD 10-11-2012 12:03 PM

Flair vs workmanship, it's your choice in life.

BauerAlmeida 10-11-2012 12:07 PM

Agassi.

Sampras is a fantastic tennis players but I don't like him that much.

Mick 10-11-2012 12:13 PM

Sampras. his achievements were greater than Agassi's.

Prisoner of Birth 10-11-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carsomyr (Post 6948512)
Yes, but Agassi was far more beloved in his lifetime. It depends on what you value you more: the present or posterity.

I think Sampras is having a great present, too. People overblow Agassi's popularity. Yes, he was more popular than Sampras and yes, he played a big part in making Tennis popular but, even today, Sampras is more often talked about and mentioned than Agassi. Not that that really matters to me, anyway.

DolgoSantoro 10-11-2012 01:32 PM

I am a tennis player ;)

And I'm going to skip all the mental drama and anguish by picking Pete.

kishnabe 10-11-2012 02:41 PM

Agassi....as long as it excludes the drugs. French Open and Gold Medal are good reasons too.

jaggy 10-11-2012 04:09 PM

Donald Young

power level 800 10-11-2012 04:16 PM

Vince Spadea!

Lovely_Bone 10-11-2012 04:20 PM

Depends. Who is richer?

Candide 10-11-2012 04:23 PM

It's a good question. Agassi was/is a more attractive personality and a nicer ball striker but I did like Sampras charging the net and busting out crazy smashes. At the end of the day dependence on a whorfing serve bores me into the ground though. I don't miss the days of the serving bulls hurling bombs at each other for hour after hour. Sooo... it's always going to be Agassi for me.

On the drugs point mentioned above - that was a private weakness that did nothing but hurt his career. I can't believe people are so hung up on it. If anything it gilds the story of his career in that he managed to drag himself back from oblivion and right to the very top. Sure it's a crime but so is cheating on your taxes and that's much more anti-social as far as I'm concerned (as long as you're not doing stick ups for drug money and I don't think Andre ever had to resort to that).

slowfox 10-11-2012 08:21 PM

Agassi. Tried reading both their books. Agassi's I could finish; Sampras, not. Perhaps that says something.