Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   NOT using a racquet because everyone else is... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442669)

Lilguy1456 10-11-2012 03:25 AM

NOT using a racquet because everyone else is...
 
Am I the only one who doesn't want to use a racquet that everyone else is using? When I go to the pub courts, I see the black and yellow of about 50 APDs, and I think to myslef, "There's no way I'm going to use what all these clowns are using." I desperately don't want to be lumped in with the masses! Am I the only one this crazy? Lol

-Chris

anirut 10-11-2012 03:27 AM

No. You're not alone.

Anton 10-11-2012 04:11 AM

never been a problem for me...am I too secure? :)

Ross K 10-11-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 6947546)
Am I the only one who doesn't want to use a racquet that everyone else is using? When I go to the pub courts, I see the black and yellow of about 50 APDs, and I think to myslef, "There's no way I'm going to use what all these clowns are using." I desperately don't want to be lumped in with the masses! Am I the only one this crazy? Lol

-Chris

X 2 on that - kind of...

You see, I do actually use an APD. Mind you, it's the first APD - the black 'original' which is a much rarer sight where I live compared to the later version APDs and all the PDs.

Got to be honest though, these days I do shake my head a bit at the sight of a sea of Babs every time I go and play.:)

Hi I'm Ray 10-11-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 6947546)
Am I the only one who doesn't want to use a racquet that everyone else is using? When I go to the pub courts, I see the black and yellow of about 50 APDs, and I think to myslef, "There's no way I'm going to use what all these clowns are using." I desperately don't want to be lumped in with the masses! Am I the only one this crazy? Lol

-Chris

Can you explain why ppl using the most popular rackets like Babs, Wilson, and Head are "clowns?"

I don't want to fall into any stereotypes, and I don't get why ppl fall into patterns like almost everyone who skates has to dress in similar ways and listen to similar music. I like what I like regardless of what other ppl think or do. There are many ways to express one's individuality but tennis rackets is one area I really don't care about in that regard. With rackets I only care about playing well with it and winning. Its hard enough to find one that really fits.

When the game starts I'm sure the only thing they'll be looking at is your game (and maybe a bit at your clothes) but the racket won't matter.

Hi I'm Ray 10-11-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 6947588)
X 2 on that - kind of...

You see, I do actually use an APD. Mind you, it's the first APD - the black 'original' which is a much rarer sight where I live compared to the later version APDs and all the PDs.

Got to be honest though, these days I do shake my head a bit at the sight of a sea of Babs every time I go and play.:)

I'm surprised their market share is only 34% or so. On the courts it seems 50% are PD's, APD's and some knock offs :). lol.

The thing I shake my head at is all the ppl using long dead Lux and they don't even know why they've paid so much to use it over other strings.

Karstic 10-11-2012 05:19 AM

In a similar manner, I’ve resisted giving the Federer rackets a try over the years. It’s not that I’m not a fan, I am, but I don’t want to be seen as a “Fanboy.” I didn’t want people to look at me on court and think I was fantasizing about being someone else. I should have bought a couple of the K90s a few years ago and stuck them in the closet until they were no longer recognizable. You’d think I’d have outgrown this feeling long ago at my age.

There is no rationality to the way you or I feel, Ray, above, is right. We should play with what we play best with, or at least with what we enjoy most. As for me, I recently switched to the PS90. Maybe I’ll grow up someday.

Fuji 10-11-2012 05:22 AM

Babs aren't such a big deal here as they are pretty expensive in shops, most people don't give two thoughts to using one, the big thing here is the Fed 90, I swear everyone and their cat uses one! (up to 4.5, at 5.0+ I've seen two people...)

Just some food for thought! :razz:

-Fuji

tennisplayer1993 10-11-2012 05:41 AM

I use a Wilson racket from 2002 and I have used an aeropro and pure drive but I am the most comfortable with my Wilson

imonfire 10-11-2012 06:19 AM

I recently bought a PDGT, but mostly because it was much cheaper than some others like Head IG Instinct, Prince EXO3 White, Tecnifibre TFlash 300, Volkl Organix 8, Wilson BLX Pro Open,
Yonex V-Core 100s, etc. I'll definitely try the others when possible and get them if I find a good deal, though.

MAXXply 10-11-2012 06:26 AM

Players sometimes do a double-take when I pull out my red 135th Anniversary PD or black/red APD RG 2012. IMO, the black/red APD RG is a safe, cosmetically sedate alternative for mature players, especially when teamed with a no-nonsense black overgrip.

HEADfamilydynasty 10-11-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karstic (Post 6947714)
In a similar manner, I’ve resisted giving the Federer rackets a try over the years. It’s not that I’m not a fan, I am, but I don’t want to be seen as a “Fanboy.” I didn’t want people to look at me on court and think I was fantasizing about being someone else. I should have bought a couple of the K90s a few years ago and stuck them in the closet until they were no longer recognizable. You’d think I’d have outgrown this feeling long ago at my age.

There is no rationality to the way you or I feel, Ray, above, is right. We should play with what we play best with, or at least with what we enjoy most. As for me, I recently switched to the PS90. Maybe I’ll grow up someday.

+1 to this.
But i actually benefit from this kind of racket so i get around it by getting rackets similar it. :lol: Difference is for me where i live you see a diverse amount of rackets. Since i'm in college now there is less "pressure" :roll:
on what to use.

namja 10-11-2012 07:15 AM

I go to two tennis clinics a week (3.5+ and 4.0+). I see about 80-90 different tennis players a week. I see a whole gamut of tennis racquets. Never noticed that many Babolats or any other brand.

I use the Federer racquet, but only because I'm old school. I only saw 2 other people using the same racquet so far, and 1 of them is a friend of mine ... and he only bought the racquets after trying mine and loving them. And I became a fan of Federer AFTER using the racquets, because I love my racquets so much.

PimpMyGame 10-11-2012 07:19 AM

I have to say I don't generally notice the more popular rackets. What impresses me is a new member at the club who turns up with is old PSC95s after a 10-year hiatus. I'll have a chat with him.

namja 10-11-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PimpMyGame (Post 6948028)
I have to say I don't generally notice the more popular rackets. What impresses me is a new member at the club who turns up with is old PSC95s after a 10-year hiatus. I'll have a chat with him.

That was me 2 years ago! :)

cluckcluck 10-11-2012 03:37 PM

I'm not one to buy what the top players play with, most of know that they're not even using those sticks, just the paint.

I have a friend who, instead of calling the racquets by their names, he names the off like, "Rogers racquet," "rafa's racquet," "murray's stick," or my favorite "the roddick". He purely buys racquets based on who's playing with them. It's a shame he's throwing away money.

Lilguy1456 10-11-2012 03:46 PM

Deep down, you figure people know that they won't BECOME the player whose stick they're hitting with...BUT, I suppose I do see the intrigue with playing with a stick a pro does...

It would be more interesting to me to play with an EXACT stick Roger/Rafa hit with...like one from their match bag...i'd pay big money just to try one...

bkpr 10-11-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 6947546)
When I go to the pub courts, I see the black and yellow of about 50 APDs…

I wish my pub had courts! :)

Lilguy1456 10-11-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkpr (Post 6949122)
I wish my pub had courts! :)

Haha, brews and tennis sounds amazing

Karstic 10-11-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkpr (Post 6949122)
I wish my pub had courts! :)

Wish my courts had a pub! :)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse