Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Which Technique is "Best", If Any? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442674)

TimothyO 10-11-2012 05:23 AM

Which Technique is "Best", If Any?
 
Recently I've been asking stringers about the details of their work and I'm amazed at the variety of answers.

One local chain, which strings for ATP events, automatically adds 10% tension to the last four (outside) crosses and mains unless given other instructions. So of 16 mains the center 8 are at reference tension and the outside 8 are +10%. Same goes for top and bottom crosses.

Another fellow who does very clean, neat work keeps the entire bed at reference if not otherwise specified.

A guy who goes to the GSSS every year and who also does very clean work (eg NO friction burn on natural gut) subtracts 8# from the two outside/shortest strings, adds 8# to the next 2, and does the center strings at reference (his string beds come out very tight).

I've used all three and noticed the differences between them enough to ask them about technique.

And of course you have stuff like the JET method and others such as one local fellow who has his own "5 Star" technique (not sure what that means).

Is there any one "best" approach for achieving a well playing, uniform string bed? Is there any research to back this stuff up? Or is this more art than science as far as the stringing community is concerned? Why so much variation?

As a stringing customer I'm curious since these technique variations clearly influence how a string bed plays enough that I've started to spec precisely how I want a frame strung (bumping up tension on the outer strings but nothing as high as 8#).

Rabbit 10-11-2012 05:33 AM

IME/O - being consistent and delivering the same thing every time is the single most important thing to me. Ergo, I use a time honored method, the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

If the customer asks for 55 pounds mains and crosses....I have this funny inclination to string the mains and crosses at 55 pounds...exactly. I don't use calculus to extrapolate out a harmonic average tension varying string by string. I also don't wear Mickey's Wizard hat when I string. I just pull the damn string.

I really wish people (not you) would quit trying to turn racquet stringing into some science, mystical cosmic event, or occult practice.

bugeyed 10-11-2012 05:49 AM

^ +1
Actually, I do try to establish if a new customer has used a CP or lockout machine, then adjust my recommendation accordingly.

Cheers,
kev

TimothyO 10-11-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 6947747)
IME/O - being consistent and delivering the same thing every time is the single most important thing to me. Ergo, I use a time honored method, the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

If the customer asks for 55 pounds mains and crosses....I have this funny inclination to string the mains and crosses at 55 pounds...exactly. I don't use calculus to extrapolate out a harmonic average tension varying string by string. I also don't wear Mickey's Wizard hat when I string. I just pull the damn string.

I really wish people (not you) would quit trying to turn racquet stringing into some science, mystical cosmic event, or occult practice.

I understand your sentiment and, as a customer, mostly agree with you. It can be frustrating as a customer getting such huge variations from different stringers when specing the same reference tension.

I'm a tech geek with an artistic background and really appreciate that small variations in stringing and racquet mods can result in differences in how a frame plays. I've experienced myself in blind testing (eg feeling small variations in SW or string bed tension without looking at the frames).

So of the three stringers detailed above, if I spec something like gut/poly at 56/52 with no more detail I'll get back three VERY different string jobs from those three stingers ranging from very tight to compareitively loose.

So I guess my question is about industry standards in some ways. I know they don't exist at a low level which is why it's best to always go to the same stringer over time, but that's not always possible (eg multiple stringers in one shop and they rotate to different shops).

mikeler 10-11-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugeyed (Post 6947799)
^ +1

Cheers,
kev


^ +2, great post by Rabbit.

mikeler 10-11-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6947805)
I understand your sentiment and, as a customer, mostly agree with you. It can be frustrating as a customer getting such huge variations from different stringers when specing the same reference tension.

I'm a tech geek with an artistic background and really appreciate that small variations in stringing and racquet mods can result in differences in how a frame plays. I've experienced myself in blind testing (eg feeling small variations in SW or string bed tension without looking at the frames).

So of the three stringers detailed above, if I spec something like gut/poly at 56/52 with no more detail I'll get back three VERY different string jobs from those three stingers ranging from very tight to compareitively loose.

So I guess my question is about industry standards in some ways. I know they don't exist at a low level which is why it's best to always go to the same stringer over time, but that's not always possible (eg multiple stringers in one shop and they rotate to different shops).


String for yourself. That will eliminate the problem.

TimothyO 10-11-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6947811)
String for yourself. That will eliminate the problem.

I know. I've told myself that once our boys move away to college I'll do that (just 7 short years from now). :)

Mongolmike 10-11-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6947902)
I know. I've told myself that once our boys move away to college I'll do that (just 7 short years from now). :)

Geez, why wait 7 years? It's not expensive to get in with an entry level drop weight which strings just as consistent as anything else, and speed wise, once you get it down you are talking less than 1 hour easy.... you'll more than cover the cost of an entry level stringer with just 5-6 string jobs, plus the benefit of being able to experiment with different strings and tensions, or even make a few bucks stringing for friends.... it's really not that difficult or time consuming.

TimothyO 10-11-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongolmike (Post 6947915)
Geez, why wait 7 years? It's not expensive to get in with an entry level drop weight which strings just as consistent as anything else, and speed wise, once you get it down you are talking less than 1 hour easy.... you'll more than cover the cost of an entry level stringer with just 5-6 string jobs, plus the benefit of being able to experiment with different strings and tensions, or even make a few bucks stringing for friends.... it's really not that difficult or time consuming.

It's not cost, it's time: time to learn and time to do the stringing. Skill-wise I'm sure I can handle since I'm very handy with tools and crafts.

But I have adopted your perspective in the recent past and am very tempted to make the leap as soon as this winter. I do love experimenting which would save money. But there's a retired fellow in our neighborhood who does excellent work and is really hardcore (attends the Florida symposium). He only charges $10 per job just to earn pocket money and stay busy so it's pretty cheap (another shop charges $20, $25 if you bring in your own gut).

esgee48 10-11-2012 07:19 AM

With Rabbit. KISS is best for replicating the SBS. Remembering to change tension for the outside mains and crosses is a PITA.

TimothyO 10-11-2012 07:45 AM

Getting back OT, do any of you experienced stringers know what percentage of stringers simply pull the reference tension on all the strings and what percentage try something like altering tension as in the JayCee, JET, or other methods such as proportional stringing?

drakulie 10-11-2012 08:06 AM

+4 with Rabbits post.

As much as certain stringers try and make stringing an art to make themselves or work special,,,,,,,, by and large stringing is anything but an art form. It is a craft. As rabbit stated, KISS.

Chotobaka 10-11-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 6947747)
IME/O - being consistent and delivering the same thing every time is the single most important thing to me. Ergo, I use a time honored method, the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

If the customer asks for 55 pounds mains and crosses....I have this funny inclination to string the mains and crosses at 55 pounds...exactly. I don't use calculus to extrapolate out a harmonic average tension varying string by string. I also don't wear Mickey's Wizard hat when I string. I just pull the damn string.

I really wish people (not you) would quit trying to turn racquet stringing into some science, mystical cosmic event, or occult practice.

Best post I have read here in a very long time.

Roger Wawrinka 10-11-2012 08:20 AM

+5 Rabbits post.


By the way, I've never heard of a JET method, what is it?

TimothyO 10-11-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6948145)
+4 with Rabbits post.

As much as certain stringers try and make stringing an art to make themselves or work special,,,,,,,, by and large stringing is anything but an art form. It is a craft. As rabbit stated, KISS.

I respect and value your opinion very much and know about your professional experience. Do you pull a constant tension on all strings or vary it across the SB as in JET or proportional stringing? By your answer above I assume constant byt just want to confirm.

One reason I'm curious is that I'm about to have both frames strung for a head to head comparison of VS/4G versus VS/Focus Hex. I want both freshly strung at the same time and in the same manner so I'm spending the money to have it done in one go.

The fellow doing the work will do what I spec but his default is something like JET.

TimothyO 10-11-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 6948180)
+5 Rabbits post.


By the way, I've never heard of a JET method, what is it?

It looks like a variation of the JayCee method and it's pushed by L-Tec...it's the antithesis of Rabbit's advice! :)

Tennishacker 10-11-2012 08:53 AM

Best post by "Rabbit".

Too many folks fret about their equipment, I would suggest working on the serve, volley or that backhand slice.

When focused on improving one's game, the thought of "customizing" equipment, is but a distant memory.

OP, IMO, 4 lbs. between your mains and crosses is to much. IMO, 2 lbs. should be the max.

TimothyO 10-11-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6948268)
Best post by "Rabbit".

Too many folks fret about their equipment, I would suggest working on the serve, volley or that backhand slice.

When focused on improving one's game, the thought of "customizing" equipment, is but a distant memory.

OP, IMO, 4 lbs. between your mains and crosses is to much. IMO, 2 lbs. should be the max.

Yeah, I've played with that delta a bit based on frame size, pattern, and string type and gauge. It seems that I prefer around 4# on smaller and denser frames and 2# with larger, open heads shading up and down based on gauge and stiffness.

Fully agree about practice. I usually hit serves 2-3 times each week at lunch and hit at least 3-4 times each week (1 match, 1 formal lesson/practice, and 2 informal sessions with friends or family).

In fact, my interest in this topic is driven by the fact that I just switched fom the Speed 300 to the 200 Tour and want the setup nailed down asap so I can focus purely on technique. I'm a creature of habit but also very picky. I'll search far and wide for what I like and then enjoy the consistency and confidence of a known value.

Irvin 10-11-2012 09:17 AM

The best? You know that will depend on who you talk to. All your going to gets is opinions. Why not do what you think is best or do you think everyone else's opinion is better than yours?

TimothyO 10-11-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6948316)
The best? You know that will depend on who you talk to. All your going to gets is opinions. Why not do what you think is best or do you think everyone else's opinion is better than yours?

You have thousands of posts on a forum dedicated to the exchange of knowledge and opinion.

The only explanation for your post is that you suffer from multiple personalities and don't even realize that you're writing this stuff.

Go take your meds.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse