Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Black cow? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442691)

Brocolt 10-11-2012 09:08 AM

Black cow?

Has anyone tried the mamba black cow gut string? how does it compare to their other gut. It says best at 56lbs or lower wich seems odd for a gut.

julian 10-11-2012 01:10 PM

Odd is in the eyes of beholder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brocolt (Post 6948295)
Has anyone tried the mamba black cow gut string? how does it compare to their other gut. It says best at 56lbs or lower wich seems odd for a gut.

Why 56 is odd?

The Meat 10-11-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 6948788)
Why 56 is odd?

I think Babolat VS Gut can go up to the 70's, so he might be worried about its strength.

julian 10-11-2012 05:39 PM

Be a good sport

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 6948886)
I think Babolat VS Gut can go up to the 70's, so he might be worried about its strength.

Be a good sport and read
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...=441070&page=2

Brocolt 10-11-2012 07:42 PM

I just tried to string it up tonight and it was very difficult to get thru the main grommets and I had one main left and the string snapped. Doubt I will be able to review it. I might tried the other half sometime in the mains when I have more time but it was a major pain to string.

The Meat 10-11-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 6949277)

What knots did you use to tie the natural gut? It shouldn't come loose if its tied with the right knot.

Also, Sampras strung in the 70's at one point. He broke strings naturally, not by the knots coming undone. Though I would imagine that the poor stringer might have broken some string beds a few times at the tension if he wasn't careful.

chasmc777 10-13-2012 08:08 AM

Pictured, I hope (not sure if this picture will upload), is my KPS88 with "Black Cow" mains and Tecnifibre Syn Gut crosses. About 20 hrs. of play. The inconsistent gauge did create some problems in stringing. This gut does seem to be on the stiffer side.

Ramon 10-13-2012 09:57 AM

56 is not odd for gut. The reason they suggest 56 or lower is because they are afraid it might break if you go any higher. Higher quality gut like VS can withstand more tension, but 70+ is still a bit much. Borg strung it at over 70, but it's well known that he went through a lot of broken strings.

Brocolt 10-13-2012 03:33 PM

I never made it to tie off a knot the string snapped on me on one of the last mains. I was stringing at 57 lbs. I should of stayed at 56 like they recommended. I have strung vs gut quite a bit but the size was really difficult to fit in the gromments and even the linear gripper at some points.

tvu 10-15-2012 04:45 PM

It is pain at times because even though it is listed at 16 gauge, at times it feels like 14. As you probably know by now - there are different diameters on each end. One end will be just fine, the other tends to be a little bigger. I would trim the end until I can find a suitable point in the string that fits well(we are only talking about 6 inches).
As far as tension, I've strung them up at 56, 58, 62 - all mini Jet method - reason why that's important because at the last 2 mains - you have to add +4 lbs resulting in 60, 62, 66 tensions respectively. I've done 5 sets and no problems so far - it is just a slow process of getting it through the grommets. Know that going in - put on some good music, and just relax and take your time. It takes me around 1:10 minutes to do an 18x20 racquet with the mini-jet method.

julian 10-16-2012 05:46 AM

You take risk using 62 pounds

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvu (Post 6957778)
It is pain at times because even though it is listed at 16 gauge, at times it feels like 14. As you probably know by now - there are different diameters on each end. One end will be just fine, the other tends to be a little bigger. I would trim the end until I can find a suitable point in the string that fits well(we are only talking about 6 inches).
As far as tension, I've strung them up at 56, 58, 62 - all mini Jet method - reason why that's important because at the last 2 mains - you have to add +4 lbs resulting in 60, 62, 66 tensions respectively. I've done 5 sets and no problems so far - it is just a slow process of getting it through the grommets. Know that going in - put eyon some good music, and just relax and take your time. It takes me around 1:10 minutes to do an 18x20 racquet with the mini-jet method.

You take risk using 62 pounds but it is your money

JT_2eighty 10-16-2012 12:45 PM

I've strung many a Babolat and Pacific gut in the 61-64 pound range.

Never had even a slight problem. No knots came undone, never broken prematurely on the stringer or in my bags.

Other guts (cheaper ones like Titan, Unifibre, Genesis, etc)... I have had some issues. I suspect Mamba would be similar to these, which is why they have a disclaimer. Babolat's packaging says "up to 66 pounds" on their VS.

"budget guts" (anything that says "below 60 or below 55", etc... or most guts under $30) *typically* do not come with the quality control and reliability you get with the "Premium" brands: Pacific and Babolat being the premiums.

You get what you pay for. Pacific Classic is the best dollar for dollar out there, In My Opinion. The off-brand budget guts can be worth the risk, but definitely have added risk factors you won't typically get with the Premium brands. I like Pacific because they have three different lines to choose from, and have durability and reliability you can count on. Plus, you know their product will be around, as often the off brands go out of stock or even out of production leaving you in the hunt for a 'similar' string. I've been able to count on Pacific Tough Gut year in, year out. It's more durable than any other gut I've tried as well (having tried guts from many of the premium and cheap brands out there).