Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How do i beat a pusher!?! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442693)

Eugene Choi 10-11-2012 09:31 AM

How do i beat a pusher!?!

Iam currently ranked 12 and we do challenge matches and the kid above me is a pusher. Ive lost to him twice and just cant beat him what should i do?

mikeler 10-11-2012 09:33 AM

Come to net and also bring him to net. Plenty of threads out there on this topic.

Number1Coach 10-11-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene Choi (Post 6948340)
Iam currently ranked 12 and we do challenge matches and the kid above me is a pusher. Ive lost to him twice and just cant beat him what should i do?

is he a moonballer or just gets everything back ? Moonballer just hit one back then immediately move in take next ball out of the air ,, gets everything back learn the dropshot .

valsmokes 10-11-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Work on your out of the air game. Move in and crack a few winners with swinging volleys, verheads etc. That will do the trick. You have got to feel comfortable with hitting the ball without letting it bounce.

BHiC 10-11-2012 09:54 AM

I agree with everything said above, also, when you are both at the baseline, pin him into a corner. Hit everything to one corner (probably backhand), and make him commit the error. A pusher's biggest weapon is their speed, they like to run around a retrieve balls. By keeping him in one corner, you are taking away what a pusher likes to do best. Also, when you get the opportunity ball to take control of the point, it is crucial that you have very specific, safe targets. If you try to hit away from the kid, then you will start spraying balls.

Hope this helps - Good Luck!

valsmokes 10-11-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHiC (Post 6948389)
I agree with everything said above, also, when you are both at the baseline, pin him into a corner. Hit everything to one corner (probably backhand), and make him commit the error. A pusher's biggest weapon is their speed, they like to run around a retrieve balls. By keeping him in one corner, you are taking away what a pusher likes to do best. Also, when you get the opportunity ball to take control of the point, it is crucial that you have very specific, safe targets. If you try to hit away from the kid, then you will start spraying balls.

Yes that is great advice, pin the pusher to the backhand corner that will give you much more options to work with. Do not rush your shots be patient and you will win.

jigglypuff 10-11-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

What scores did he beat you by?

Soianka 10-11-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglypuff (Post 6948669)
What scores did he beat you by?

Yes, and how do the points in your match typically go?

Do you have any idea of the stats?

Do you have a lot of winners but a whole lot more errors?

Are the points long?

etc etc

Alohajrtennis 10-11-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Stop making errors.

That's the benefit of playing pushers. Forces you to practice patience and consistency. No way around it.

Tennishacker 10-11-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alohajrtennis (Post 6948991)
Stop making errors.

That's the benefit of playing pushers. Forces you to practice patience and consistency. No way around it.

That's a good mental practice for you, beat them at their own game.

Woolybugger 10-12-2012 04:58 AM

practice against one.

db10s 10-12-2012 05:00 AM

You have to mess with them and give them something different; slice, lots

rptennis 10-12-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alohajrtennis (Post 6948991)
Stop making errors.

Agree 100% and great advice - forces you to work on key groundstrokes fundamentals and stop making errors

ga tennis 10-12-2012 08:57 AM

Cheat,Cheat,and keep Cheating!!!! :)

MarTennis 10-12-2012 09:41 AM

I...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHiC (Post 6948389)

love this advice. Welcome!

Alohajrtennis 10-12-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarTennis (Post 6950537)
love this advice. Welcome!

Hey guys, I think you are way off topic here. You are supposed to be discussing DB. What do you think you guys are doing, all threads are supposed be about DB, please don't pay any attention to the title.

tennis5 10-12-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alohajrtennis (Post 6950739)
Hey guys, I think you are way off topic here. You are supposed to be discussing DB. What do you think you guys are doing, all threads are supposed be about DB, please don't pay any attention to the title.

All threads use to lead to three dead ends:

DB, hatred of the USTA, and TAUT.

( I have always tried to swing it to "College tennis will eventually be all foreigners" with out much luck).

Will need to update this now and say it leads to four things and include TCF's 8 year old.

tennis5 10-12-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Stay patient and wait for the right shot.

SuzukiSS 10-12-2012 07:07 PM

Don't let the pushing get started! Check out How to beat the Pusher on Virtual Tennis Acadamy.

Eugene Choi 10-29-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6948346)
is he a moonballer or just gets everything back ? Moonballer just hit one back then immediately move in take next ball out of the air ,, gets everything back learn the dropshot .

When i do a drop shot he also does like a tap back dropshot so makes me come to net and then places away from me D: